The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2010, 11:29 AM   #76
arcticap

Like Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'til it's over!"
I hoping that with Taylor's Guns, CajunPowder will be "In like Flint!"

It reminds me of a problem that I once had with a brand new Buck knife and all of the defective "free" replacements that they sent me. After a number of attempts to receive a non-defective knife, I ended up receiving a full refund check, a pocket knife engraved with my intitials and a letter of apology from Chuck Buck who told me that I would be better off buying another replacement knife in person at retail. I did too and couldn't be happier. But that was after repeated mailings with their service dept. without being satisfied.

Last edited by arcticap; May 1, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:05 PM   #77
JNewell

Interesting reading. Man, I feel for you. I used to do living history reenacting and have had quite a few Pedersoli and Miroku repros. *sigh*

If I were you - but of course I'm not - I'd get a Ruger Old Army. I've got two, and they are somewhere between a good old Mack truck and a Swiss watch. Strong as heck and run like clocks.

Good luck - revolvers really are a good way to burn black powder, so I hope you have a happy ending!
Old May 12, 2010, 06:22 PM   #78
HisSoldier

Well, that was fun!

Quote:
I think I'll start looking at a forged frame Uberti in blue
So, I gather then that the stainless Uberti's are not forged? I came upon this thread after googling "uberti 1858 stainless target", since I was considering purchasing one.
I have noticed that a fine handgun begins to look all nasty under a 10X loupe, but have to say, my Pietta looks much better under the top strap than that Uberti, and there is absolutely no justification for that big pit in the back of the recoil shield.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:28 AM   #79
CajunPowder

Waiting on Taylor's backorder list.

arcticap: Yer lucky ya didn't get FIRED! I'm still on the backorder list at Taylors ... zzzzz ... looks like it will be the end of this month. Midway is on backorder for this model as well ...

JNewell: Thanks for reading and looking through the thread. I'd like an ROA, of that I won't lie, but I've really got my heart set on the 1858 New Army. I really like that the cylinder can be dropped out quickly and another pre-loaded cylinder goes in quickly. If one orders a drop-in conversion cylinder, that makes re-loading much, much faster. Plus I really like the history behind the revolver.

HisSoldier:

Of what I understand the Stainless Uberti 1858 New Army Models, (both the target and the fixed sight models), are not forged, they are cast. I did design the thread so that people looking for information on these models would find the thread returning very highly in google, thanks for the feedback on SERP position.

The Firing Line has been very well moderated over the years and it is well designed as well, thus the high google rankings on many subjects discussed on The Firing Line.

I'm convinced at this point that quality is on a piece by piece basis. Some years, some months, some lots, some weeks of production might be better than others. And I'm also thinking that the majority of the pieces that get bad press are many fewer than those that are really nice and don't get mentioned.

People are by and large fairly private about their guns in general. But sell a man a gun that is low quality or does not meet their expectations and they will climb a mountain and shout about it as loud as they can.

What irks me is that the photographs on the vendor's websites show absolutely BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT pieces and the verbage the marketing departments create is so glowing and WONDERFUL. So they build expectations very, very high especially for people who have no experience in this area.
Old May 14, 2010, 07:40 AM   #80
mykeal

Quote:
What irks me is that the photographs on the vendor's websites show absolutely BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT pieces and the verbage the marketing departments create is so glowing and WONDERFUL. So they build expectations very, very high especially for people who have no experience in this area.
???

This 'irks' you?

Let's see. Suppose you were hired by a company to present their new line of widgets to the public for sale. And let's say the widgets were nicely polished. You'd intentionally select specimens for photographs that had minor flaws, and in describing the features of the widgets you'd suggest that maybe they weren't perfect, just so the public's expectations wouldn't be set too high. Is that correct?

Do you honestly believe that product advertising presents (or should present) only the average condition and performance of a product?

Advertising puts a product's best foot forward. I thought everyone knew that. Being 'irked' by that is honestly a bit of a waste of energy.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:18 PM   #81
CajunPowder

Widgets to Firearms

mykeal:

Can a widget put your eye out if you stand beside it during it's operation?

Can a widget blow a hole in your body or another's body?

Can a widget explode and blow your fingers off?

Can a widget give you a third degree burn?

Can a widget save your life and the lives of loved ones?

Can a widget preserve freedom and fight tyranny?

We cannot compare the marketing of widgets with the expectations a firearms manufacturer hopes to build in a potential customer.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:10 PM   #82
mykeal

I say again:
Quote:
Do you honestly believe that product advertising presents (or should present) only the average condition and performance of a product?
Old May 14, 2010, 10:28 PM   #83
CajunPowder

Product Advertising is Buyer Beware

mykeal:

I totally understand where you are coming from. If I sound gruff or peeved or grouchy I really don't mean any of that for anybody in this forum and I know, you know that I know that ... but I just want to make absolutely sure.

PARDS !!!

I agree completely, product advertising is ... I can't say those kind of words on this forum though ...

I just want to keep the screws to their little media toes so's we can all hope that these products we like so much don't deteriorate. Let them know that ClemBerts and arcticaps are watching closely from The Firing Line.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:25 AM   #84
RemTim

Honesty in advertising is a novel idea. I wish it would catch on.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:50 AM   #85
suzukibruce

whats a widget?
Old May 22, 2010, 10:55 AM   #86
RemTim

Quote:
whats a widget?
Hypothetical product in this context.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:08 AM   #87
suzukibruce

like an honest politician?
Old May 22, 2010, 11:24 AM   #88
RemTim

Hummph!!! Ever seen the movie Crazy People? Funny movie about honesty in advertising.

Last edited by RemTim; May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:31 AM   #89
enyaw

Howdy! I noticed ole Doc Hoy on here. Howdy Doc. Didn't I ,sort of,rebuild yer old Belgian 1860 Army Centaure Centennial Colt once? One of those loose arbored,barrel needs set back and all innard parts replaced and timed,tuned,aligned,and all?
I consider myself a gunsmith in regards to cap&ballers. How did I get there? I went from knowing nothing to being called "The Master" by self taught and by reading gunsmith books and gun mag articles and "trial and error". Doing the work isn't that difficult once you get over being afraid to dive into it. Just define the problem and define the proper mechanical purpose and struggle to get there and after time....do your own work and forget spending big bucks on professional gunsmiths that want you to pay to send the kids to college and feed Momma and all the dogs and the rent.
All you have to do is read and do trial and error. I wish I had the internet when I strted out all alone with cap&baller gunsmithing. Today there are good articles on the net to learn offa. There are bad ones to and you have to learn to weed the chaff from the wheat.
Anyway...don't go anywhere till you know where you're going. Learn what the "proper working" of the gun is and then see what you have to do to get there. Ask questions and read and make a hobby of it. After a short while it'll all come to you. Tuning cap&ballers isn't rocket science. It'll come to you.
First off...learn what a decent cap&baller is and don't accept bad guns from the dealers...unless you are looking for one to learn on. You can take a good gun and get all new parts for it and fit all the new parts till the new parts work as good as the good ones that came in it.
Anyway...try to find a "Pard" that can expain things if you get stuck. You can tell the ones on the forums that know what they are doing. The "I been doing it for 30 years" doesn't mean they been doing it right either. You can pick the knowlegeable Pards from the ones that think they know it all but don't know they don't know it all.
Anyway I recommend that once you know what's a good gun then you can go from there replacing parts that break if you don't think they fit right and all. First off learn what "the perfect action" works like. Then you know where you are trying to get and then learn to get there.
You have to be a certain degree of a gunsmith to own a cap&baller since they do break once in awhile and you don't want to have to stop shooting if a part breaks. You can learn to "have extra parts" and learn how to "put them in the gun to get back to shooting".
People like Madcratebuilder and Smoking Gun and others that are here regularly can answer questions. There are no dumb questions you know.
Anywhooooo.....most all the cap&baller shooters out there that stick with it learn to replace parts and all since all the cap&ballers aren't made by Ruger in the USA.

Last edited by enyaw; May 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:52 AM   #90
RemTim

Quote:
There are no dumb questions you know.
Glad to hear that.
When I recently reentered the bp game, it was the articles in these forums which were ( and still) of the most value of all of the resources at my disposal. No where else can you get professional advice quickly and for free.
Quote:
Doing the work isn't that difficult once you get over being afraid to dive into it.
How hard can it be with advice such as this at your disposal? The guns are simple compared to modern firearms, so a mechanically inclined individual with access to such resources doesn't need to go see the smith very often, preferably...never.
My quest for the perfect Italian reproduction is over. I am now looking for imperfect Uberti guns that have issues for low prices; guns that I would have been scared of a very short time ago.
The issues are usually minor. Get the tools and dive in..the water is great here.
Great post,Enyaw!!

Last edited by RemTim; May 23, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:21 AM   #91
Hawg

Quote:
whats a widget?
There's a widget factory in Yoville.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:24 AM   #92
RemTim

Yolville?Just where is that located?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:27 AM   #93
Hawg

Ummmm between Farmtown and Farmville. Just south of Fishville
Old May 23, 2010, 02:28 PM   #94
RemTim

Quote:
whats a widget?
Actually, Amazon and WordPress use the term. Widgets are code snippets which you can drag and drop inside their control panels. Wordpress uses them in the sidebar panels. Inside the Amazon panel, the user creates them in the form of instant custom affiliate links to be added into the HTML of websites, blogs, digital documents and discussion boards..Which brings up my point mentioned somewhere in these pages; Firing Line uses no links of any type as a revenue source. In other words they do not place ads or make endorsements for profit. So they must really love what they are doing with a deep passion. IMHO, widgets are way off the charts on the cool scale.

Last edited by RemTim; May 23, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:52 PM   #95
CajunPowder

Still on backorder with Taylor's

If anybody was wondering, and I think RemTim was, I'm still on backorder with Taylor's for the Uberti 1858 New Army model Remington reproduction target model in Stainless Steel.

DID YA HEAR THAT GOOGLE ! (he shouted to the robot)

When I receive it I will create a stunning photo documentary that might be the best one on the internet for this type of GUN ! (dadGumIt) !

midwayusa.com has a reception date of 06-21 for the piece and as I understand it they get theirs from Taylor's or get them from the same hands that Taylor's gets theirs ... (drums fingers on computer desk) ... ARRRRrrrgggghhh ...

I'm looking at the alternatives which are the Uberti 5 1/2" barrel 1858 blued and just order the Kirst Konverter along with it ... send it to Jay to time both the konverter and the BP stock cylinder together.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:13 PM   #96
mykeal

Quote:
Quote:
whats a widget?
Actually, Amazon and WordPress use the term.
They stole the term.
A widget is intangible. To make it something tangible is the height of arrogance. How dare they presume to make something plebeian out of an ethereal being!
Old May 23, 2010, 06:58 PM   #97
Hawg

Quote:
A widget is intangible. To make it something tangible is the height of arrogance. How dare they presume to make something plebeian out of an ethereal being!
huh? whut?
Old May 23, 2010, 06:59 PM   #98
RemTim

Hawg, that went way over my head.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:17 PM   #99
suzukibruce

uuummmm... ok, yeah, thats it! what he said!
Old May 23, 2010, 07:18 PM   #100
arcticap

The most commonly used definition of a widget:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_(economics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget

Tags
1858 , bolt , cylinder , pietta , uberti