The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Netzapper

Suggest a light, simple brush gun for rabbit hunting?

I bought a springer spaniel. In an effort to cater to his every whim, I'm gonna get off my butt and take him rabbit hunting. I like rabbit, and he'll love beating around the bush.

While there are considerable bragging rights to be had from learning to take a flushed rabbit on the run with a Henry .22, I've decided a shotgun is probably going to bring more success as I initially learn to hunt rabbit. My wife has a circa 1970 Remington 1100, with an extremely long barrel on it. The thing weighs about eight or nine pounds, and loads too many shells for local game laws.

So I'm trying to find a really, really cheap, simple, light, 20ga shotgun. I'm talking like $200 cheap. It doesn't need to last for tens of thousands of competition clays, protect my home, or effectively take Canada goose from a mile. I do need to be able to comfortably carry it for several miles as I tag along after my enthusiastic pup. I also need to be able to snap shoot on a flushed rabbit. I want the Red Ryder of shotguns.

Local pawn shops had a couple of youth shotguns. But the stocks are comically small. All other 20ga shotguns were long barreled.

I looked at a couple new Stoeger coach guns, and a single-shot break-action by H&R. The Stoegers were okay, but the triggers required Hulk-like strength to squeeze--like, I thought the safety was still on. They were also at the very highest price I would even possibly consider paying here. The single-shot pointed very nicely, was very light, and mad cheap. But, it was in 12ga, I know nothing of the company, and the barrel was unchoked.

So, please hit me with some suggestions. I'd frankly prefer suggestions on guns to look for used, as it doesn't look like anything new will be in my pricerange (except the single-shot). Also, tell me what you think of the Stoegers and the H&Rs.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

H&R single shots are covered in the Archives. Lots of us are unabashed fans. The things do come in 20 and 28 gauge. Either will work on bunnies if you do your part.

They do have fixed chokes.
Old March 10, 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

By the OP's own request i reckon the H&R is the gun to buy... the 20 gauge from walmart is under $125 NEW. It has a fixed "mod" (IIRC) choke which is fine for bunny killin' on the run.

The thing to remember is that a 24 inch barrel single will tote, and point like a 22 inch pump or auto due to shorter receiver length.
For the follow up shot, learn to carry a spare shell 'tween the index and middle finger of your "offside" hand (left for most of us... when you open the gun, the second round is easily inserted. I can't count the number of kills i got with my follow up from a single.
Brent
Old March 10, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4
TCman

I just recently picked up a 20 ga 870 for $200 otd. I belibe it has a 20 inch barrel. I got it to go bunny hunting. if 5 shells is more than you local relulations allow you can simply cut a dowel rod to limit your magazine capacity.
Old March 10, 2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Doc TH

Rabbit gun

Why not just get a used shorter barrel for the 1100? You can put in a magazine plug to decrease the capacity to meet your state's requirements.
Old March 10, 2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Netzapper

Doc TH, that's not a bad idea at all. I'll call around for a used one. But a *new* barrel appears to cost more than a new H&R.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:46 AM   #7
TxGun

I agree H&Rs are a good value. Solid little shotgun for the money, IMO. Following on what Hogdogs said, they are $117 new at my local Walmart. I see real nice used ones from time-to-time for $75-80, sometimes a little less.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:39 AM   #8
HiBC

If you could find an Ithaca 37 20 ga,its light and sweet.Those old Savage 22/20 ga OU might be nice.There are a lot of the Iver Johnson,H+R,etc older used singles that are fine
Your dog,you do what you want,sometimes folks think it is a mistake to shoot rabbits in front of a bird dog.
You get to have fun any way you want to!!
Old March 11, 2010, 02:43 AM   #9
Nnobby45

.410 single shot would work just fine.
Old March 11, 2010, 02:50 AM   #10
Netzapper

Quote:
Your dog,you do what you want,sometimes folks think it is a mistake to shoot rabbits in front of a bird dog.
Hah. Now that's fair enough, if you plan on getting that dog to flush a specific bird. Frankly, I don't have much interest in either upland or waterfowl meat--frankly I don't even like chicken much. The rabbits are a compromise, since I know how much he'd like to work, and I know I'll eat rabbit.

Basically, I'm just trying to find a walking stick so's I have an excuse to let the dog play in the brambles like he wants.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:00 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Basically, I'm just trying to find a walking stick so's I have an excuse to let the dog play in the brambles like he wants.
That is very admirable! Just make sure the dog has plenty of "handle" so you can call off the chase when you are ready...
Brent
Old March 11, 2010, 08:10 AM   #12
Esteban32696

Years ago, I would buy all the .410 single shots I could get at the right price, & resell for a small profit to a Hunt Club. They were a KOOL bunch of old country boys who started their own club called the " 410 Club." They hunted rabbits with Beagles & all members had to use a single shot .410 . A couple of my friends owned pawn shops & would give me deals on the little 410's that came in. Most were made by Stevens or H & R. Both are great little guns for the money.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:47 AM   #13
earlthegoat2

An H&R YOUTH 410 or 20 gauge is what I use. I am not of youth proportions but the shorter barrel and straight stock makes it very handy. Eventually I will put an adult sized stock on it but I am used to the youth stock so far.

150 bucks brand new.