The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 2, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
toppermost

Wanted: G23 vs. CW40 pictures

I have looked and looked but I cannot find a good set of side-by-side pics of a Glock 23 and a Kahr CW40.

(you could of course substitute the above with a G19 and/or P40 respectively).

Big fat thank you to anyone who can show me this!
Old December 2, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Daryl

I don't have pictures of the side-by-side, and can't provide them.

But, I was able to compare the two side-by-side last July when I bought my G23, and pictures would NOT have helped me decide between the two.

They're very comparable in size, but the grip, trigger, and feel differ dramatically.

What I noticed...

The trigger on the CW40 is very smooth, but longer than the trigger pull on the G23. It also has a much longer reset than the G23.

The grip on the CW40 is narrow, with a single-stack magazine. If you like a narrow grip, then you'll like this one, but felt recoil is going to be more than on a double-stack grip. It is noticeably narrow, and while I believe it would be better for tight concealment, it wasn't comfortable to my hand.

Seriously, I'd try to handle them both before you choose. There are some things that pictures just won't show you.

FWIW, after comparing several models that included these two, I bought the G23. It's the one that felt and handled best for me, and that's why I chose it. Again, I'd handle them first.

Daryl
Old December 2, 2010, 06:19 PM   #3
David the Gnome

I owned a Glock 26 and a Kahr PM9 but I ended up giving the Glock 26 away after buying the PM9. I actually got rid of a lot of carry guns when I got the PM9. So far as I'm concerned, there isn't a better CCW piece out there right now than the PM9.

In regards to your question, here is a really blurry picture I found on another forum comparing the Glock 26 and the Kahr PM9 (which are essentially the same size as their 40S&W counterparts).

When you get them side by side you can see that the Kahr looks like it's half the thickness of the Glock. The real difference is felt when you throw it in an IWB holster and carry it for a day. You will forget you have the PM9 on you whereas the Glock's thickness will be a constant reminder that it's there, even if the grip is easy to conceal. For me it was no contest between the Glock 26 and the PM9. Sure the Glock my hold 10+1 compared to the Kahr's 6+1 but those 4 extra rounds were not worth the cost in comfort to me. When it comes to a concealed carry gun comfort is one of my top priorities. If it isn't comfortable I won't carry it, simple as that. That's why I have strict size requirements in my concealed weapons now.

As far as the caliber you're looking at, the PM9 is already snappy enough, I don't think I'd want to shoot the PM40. You aren't buying these as a range gun however, so comfort of shooting is low on the priority list.
Old December 6, 2010, 12:45 AM   #4
toppermost

no one?
Old December 6, 2010, 02:15 AM   #5
JQP

I have a CW9 and G23, and the CW40 is a smidge wider than the CW9.

There is a big width difference in the grip between the CW and the G23, as well as a big length and height difference.

Here is a pic contrasting a G26, PM40 and MK40 - not exactly what you're asking for, but close enough IMO - the wood grips on the MK40 add to the normal grip's width - even still, the PM/CW series are much thinner than the Glock:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391730

Old December 8, 2010, 02:18 AM   #6
toppermost

I would still love to see a comparison of the following:

Glock 23 [and/or] Glock 19

VS

CW40 [and/or] P40

A big thank you to the people who have responded so far (!) but the pics are not what I am looking for. IMO the most important measurement on a handgun is HEIGHT. It will dictate how you conceal it, the rest is largely academic.

Also, I own a G23... should have mentioned that before.

Tags