The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 8, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Bo Hunter

Doobie - Question about your blog...

I didn't want to hi-jack a thread, but I was curious about the blog doobie posted in the OC thread, and thought it would be a good discussion.

I was just curious what the intent is of your blogging? I don't fully understand the message you are trying to send? I guess from the one video I watched, it appeared that you were monitoring a police channel, and sort of laughing at the officers that had to respond?

I know here in NY, our 911 center's don't have the luxury of filtering complaints - they have to dispatch every single one, even if they KNOW its not criminal. We in turn are REQUIRED to ANSWER every one even when we know its not criminal. While I understand your position as having certain rights such as not being required to provide your name, by not "cooperating" so to speak with the LE's, you are just making their job more irritating.

When I have to answer a BS complaint similar to what they were responding to with you, our typical complaint would be a "suspicious person", all I want is the person's name so I can say who I interviewed, I say that there was nothing criminal, and to get out of everyone's hair...I know I'm wasting your time, unfortunately I have no choice! Just a different perspective for you to think about. Chances are, you are trying to prove your point to the wrong people by exercising those rights, with the officer's. We actually like people that are capable of taking care of themselves, defending themselves, and solving their own problems... Perhaps its the difference that here in NY, they are required to at least show us ID when requested.

Just so you know, I'm a STRONG supporter of armed citizens. I think every law abiding citizen should be armed! I just feel bad for the guys that are stuck responding to calls about you constantly. What are you carrying, a huge .44? I'm surprised it gets so much attention if OC is legal there....
Old May 10, 2009, 01:14 AM   #2
BlindMansBluff

Link to blog? or origina thread with blog link please?

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 10, 2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Bo Hunter

Yeah, guess that would have been helpful...

http://opencarrynh.blogspot.com/
Old May 10, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
curt.45

I found the thread earlier, and found the Blog.....

JMO, but the guy looks like he is sort of asking for trouble.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5
NavyLT

I open carry myself, almost 100% of the time. I open carry because:

1. Self protection.
2. Deterrent Value VS Defensive Value. I feel open carries deters a criminal from attacking me so that I don't have to defend myself against and attack.
3. Display to the public that it is perfectly acceptable for an American to have the means available to protect themselves.

I do not actively seek out law enforcement encounters, and I have had one encounter. Even though it was attempted to ilegally coerce me to conceal my weapon by the officer, the outcome was positive for everyone concerned and our open carry group here actually gained supporters.

The guy on this blog seems to be just looking for LEO encounters, and, IMHO, gives us all a bad image.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Bo Hunter

Looking for attention in general was my initial reaction. Wanted to make sure that a few years on the job, wasn't changing my views. Again, I'm all for armred citizens! Makes my job easier!
Old May 11, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In one aspect I commend his efforts... All it seems he wants to accomplish is for the dispatchers to learn how to ask what crime it appears is being committed. Then the caller can be rightfully informed of the legal right to carry. I see some panicky callers out there but to regain some normalcy for the folks who wish to open carry as their rights allow requires that folks are informed that what they see is not always the crime they perceive it to be...
Brent
Old May 14, 2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Housezealot

Honestly I wish I made an effort to open carry more often. I feel the advantages of concelead carry are appropriate for me, but I am not trying to start that old argument I think it would be great if we could get the public to feel comfortable with armed civilians.
I can't open carry at work and I don't want to risk being hassled while I have my kids with me, so it kind of reduces my options. I know that sounds like an excuse (and it kind of is).
I would say more power to the guys that are open carrying, we just need to be careful we don't go from exercising a right to instigating a situation.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Mr. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
I open carry myself, almost 100% of the time. I open carry because:

1. Self protection.
2. Deterrent Value VS Defensive Value. I feel open carries deters a criminal from attacking me so that I don't have to defend myself against and attack.
3. Display to the public that it is perfectly acceptable for an American to have the means available to protect themselves.

I do not actively seek out law enforcement encounters, and I have had one encounter.
Thank you, NavyLT. This fairly well describes my view, as well. My experiences with the police in Fairfax County, Virginia (an agency with a checkered history vis. legal open carry) have been uniformly unremarkable. From a hostile glare from one officer to, much more common, a friendly head nod and "howya doin?"

Like most open carry proponents, I'm not a wannbe, nor a holster-sniffer - just a regular Virginian going about his business, prepared to defend himself.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat