The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2002, 01:25 PM   #1
bikeguy

Police turn in 870's

just thought I'd give folks the heads up that Dixie Ammo Dump has some police turn in 870's for $155. Website is www.armthepopulace.com
Old May 15, 2002, 04:31 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the headsup!
Old June 5, 2002, 10:30 PM   #3
9mmMike

Update on 870's.
I just got one of these 870's (yes I realize how many of these things I'm accumulating!) from Dixie Ammo Dump.
The guy I dealt with, Cliff Brown, was very friendly and helpful.
The price was indeed 155.00 and he charged me real shipping, not some "shipping and fondling" charge that I detest.
My first look shows me a nice 870 with apparently low but not too friendly miles. It is not a show piece as it has an extra police dept. serial number hand engraved into the receiver. Cliff told me this before hand so I was not upset. The pump handle must have been rubbing for a long while as there is almost no blue left on the bottom rear of the mag tube.
There is no rust or pitting though.
The barrel was as fouled as I've seen and it took me about an hour of scrubbing to remove the lead which leads me to believe that this SG was used with slugs quite a bit.
I shoot my guns alot and I have never seen so much actual lead come out during a cleaning. This could be due to the CLP that I use.
The bore is nice and shiny now and again, no evidence of rust or pits.
The barrel is a 20" bead sight which surprised me as I assumed that police guns were usually 18" (and his ad says it's 18" as well) but that's fine with me.
Although it is an Express, it is blued over finished metal unlike my other rough finished Express models. It has the flex tab and a metal trigger group.
There is no ejector spring but I seem to recall a thread about that here on TFL.
It does cycle (and eject) fine so I am not worried about it.
I already added my spare +3 extension and my refinished stocks and it looks pretty good.
I will not be able to test fire for a week and a half or so but I see no reason to expect any problems.
I think that it was worth the money and if I did not already have too many (did I say that?) I'd consider another one.
That's it,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 6, 2002, 05:12 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on the new tool, Mike. Just how many do you have now?...

A coupla things....

I suggest you drop out the TG and bolt, use a scrubber or something like the SLIP Cleaner to get the crud out and then lube with CLP or SLIP 2000. While it's out, clean out the receiver and wipe on, wipe off, with more CLP or 2000.

Since you changed the stock, I don't need to tell you to remove the stock and lube the back of the receiver and that fitting for the stock bolt.

Next, dismantle the forearm. Go over all the metal surfaces with an oily (CLPy?) rag, and put it back together. Be sure to lube the threads on the end of the action bar tube.

Next, remove everything from the mag tube, and clean it as if it were the bore, lubing lightly and then running a few clean patches through to reduce the lube to a thin coat.

My guess is the wear marks on the mag tube indicate a slight bend. If it functions fine, fuggedaboudit. A good smith can straighten it out PDQ if there's interference.

Also, some Expresses were made in the late 80s with standard gloss blue finish.

Sounds like a good "Using" shotgun, let's hear about how it shoots...
Old June 6, 2002, 09:50 AM   #5
cuerno de chivo

They are advertised as: "Remington 870 Express Magnum Police 12 Ga shotguns with 18" barrel, wood furniture and bead sights".

Sounds like they are actually selling the El Cheapo Express model instead of the higher quality Police Magnum.
Old June 9, 2002, 02:24 PM   #6
9mmMike

I do not think this is an "El Cheapo Express". It is an Express which is a Magnum and, when new, was proboably of higher quality than my other "late model" Express Magnums.
I spoke to Cliff and these were from a training school and as a result have a lot more shells through them than the typical cruiser guns. He also offerred to address the barrel length issue as he was only advertising them with the information that he had when he bought them from auction. As I am not too concerned about the length, I will leave it alone.
I still think these are a good deal for a working gun and mine seems to function fine although I will be able to say for sure next weekend.
'till then,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 9, 2002, 03:41 PM   #7
cuerno de chivo

Still sounds like it is not a Police Magnum but an Express Magnum that was used by police.
Old June 9, 2002, 05:18 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Chivo, for $155 does it really make a difference?

It's a working 870.....
Old June 9, 2002, 06:14 PM   #9
cuerno de chivo

Only if you think that you are getting a great deal on a Police Magnum. The $155 is a good deal on a Express. The advertising is just a little tricky in its wording.