The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Barrcatz

Difference in neck resizing standard/improved?

Howdy Folks:

Here goes my first thread question ! I recently picked up a used 219 Zipper neck sizer die at a local gun show. I noticed when I got home, next to the die factory stamping, "IMP" had been added with an electronic pencil. Was this die possibly a modified 219 Zipper to 219 Improved? Would one be able to find out what the new shoulder degree is? And lastly, and most important to me, if a neck sizer die only sizes the neck and NOT the shoulder,
could this die be used to neck size a STANDARD 219 Zipper ?

Wheew ! Thanks for any input/views on this one !
Old May 1, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Sounds like you have an experiment in your future . I would think thay an Imp. neck die would work on the standard version too . Just be mindful that you are probably going to have to set the die a little higher than normal . Trial and error are in order !
Old May 1, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
PA-Joe

You can do a case of the die and see!
Old May 2, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Barrcatz

Yep, I guess a little experimenting will be in order ... but I'll still open for any other thoughts. All input is GOOOD!

Thanx you guys for the replys ! (Hey, that rhymes ...)
Old May 2, 2012, 09:27 AM   #5
F. Guffey

It would help if someone knew the difference between improved and standard. The shoulder of the case does not touch the die, the standard die has a shorter neck than the Improved version.

You did not indicate the manufacturer of your dies, knowing the brand would allow someone to determine if the company made neck dies in both versions. The neck die is designed to be adjusted to the shell holder, if a standard neck sizer is used on an improved case part of the neck will not be sized meaning the neck sizing portion of the die is too high to reach the shoulder of the improved case, but, if someone ground off the bottom of the die and knew how much to grind they could turn a standard neck sizer in to an Improved neck sizer die. AND if they could keep up with the the amount of metal removed from the die and had a feeler gage they could continue using one die to neck size both standard and Improved cases.

Again, the neck sizer die does not offer case support. If I wanted to know the inside shape of the die I would lube the case, support the die on a lead block then take a hammer of some kind and drive the case into the die (carefully) then drive the case out of the die. And I have depth micrometers, blind-end micrometers, ball micrometers and inside and outside transfers. And I have Cerrosafe, a low heat material that is used to cast chambers. some claim they use Cerrosafe to determine head space, and, I ask how?

Or use the press to force the case into the die, place a metal plate on top of the shell holder, push the case into the die, remember, the bottom of the case protrudes .125 thousandths from the case when used with a shell holder, meaning the case can be pushed into the die .125 thousands if the top of the ram is flat. in these matters, always have a plan, that plan should include a way of removing the the case from the die.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...-CASTING-ALLOY

I do not sell Cerrosafe, at $45.00 a pound it must appear expensive, but, it is reusable, again, the only way to get rid of it is loose it or throw it away.

F. Guffey
Old May 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
F. Guffey

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/462...g-alloy-1-2-lb

Then there is MidwayUSA,

F. Guffey
Old May 4, 2012, 04:18 PM   #7
frank_1947

it is possible some one had that die made for his imp so the neck tension could be really tight desighned for a tight neck measure your loaded round that you are useing then use your neck die you just bought and see what the difference is if it is over .004 difference then I may not want to use it.
Old June 1, 2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Barrcatz

Thanx !

Thanks everyone for all the good info ... !!!!