The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
BPShunter

Help! Need a Model 70 expert

Hello gentlemen. I just bought a brand new Winchester Model 70. It uses the pre-'64 controlled round feed style bolt. As I was reading through the manual I saw that the firing pin could be removed from the bolt. I took it apart and reinstalled it with no problems. I went to my fathers house to show him my new gun and while I was there I told him about this feature. He also has a Model 70 but it is a post-'64 with the push feed style bolt. When we removed the bolt we didn't have the safety in the intermediate position which is necessary to disassemble the firing pin, instead it was in the fire position. I should note that I also made the same mistake on my gun the first time I tried to take the firing pin out. However, when I did this the rear of the bolt was easily rotated back into the correct position. My fathers on the other hand will not rotate what so ever. Now I'm stuck with this bolt and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Do you have a vise? (Not a "vice", we all have those.)

If so, look at the bottom rear of the bolt sleeve and you will see the tail of the cocking piece. It sticks down just enough so you can grasp it in a vise. Clamp it in a vise with enough room to turn the bolt handle. Now pull forward on the bolt itself and turn the bolt so the cocking piece drops into the small notch in the bolt. That will recock the bolt and allow it to be installed, or you can set the safety to the mid position for further disassembly.

If you don't have a vise, you CAN use lock jaw pliers, but they are more likely to slip off and maybe damage something.

Jim
Old March 4, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Pointer

If you use a vise please use a leather in the jaws... I don't want to hear that you scarred your bolt...

Try re-inserting it into the rifle and then the rotation might take care of itself...

Then remove it in intermediate safety and see if you can put the firing pin back in... I think maybe this will work... if I understand your description correctly...

If it works... I'll be proud of myself...
If not I'll be embarrassed...

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 4, 2006, 11:11 PM   #4
BPShunter

Thank you!

That did the trick! I guess it was just really tight. I'm so relieved that something wasn't malfunctioning. Thanks a ton guys!
Old March 5, 2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Pointer

Which trick did the trick???

Vise...or reinserting the bolt?

I just gotta know

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 7, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Dave Haven

$10 says the vise. I speak from experience.