The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Who makes the most reliable revolvers?
Ruger 116 56.59%
Smith & Wesson 83 40.49%
Taurus 6 2.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8, 2008, 10:54 PM   #26
joneb

No vote from me either, of my revolvers Colt, S&W, Ruger and Taurus I have found them all 100% reliable, my newest S&W was made in1999 the Tauruses early 90's the Ruger late 80's and the colt some where in the 60's Baby. I do think the tighter a revolver is the more prone it is to locking up do to the G forces, Grit, Grime and gunk

Last edited by joneb; March 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old March 8, 2008, 11:33 PM   #27
jamaica

I have had Ruger, Colt, S&W and Taurus. The only one that ever broke was the colt. I voted for Ruger because my Ruger has been around a lot longer than the others. Not that this makes it any more reliable, but it has certainly seen lots of adverse conditions in its time, 50 years without a hiccup.

The Colt is a little older, but had one problem. The pawl broke and the cylinder wouldn't lock up. This was soon after it was new. I got a new part from Colt and installed it myself. It took some honeing on the new part to get it right. Since then it has been good. I'll never live long enough to give the others the same test, but for now they have been 100%.
Old March 18, 2008, 09:26 PM   #28
sandbag

I owned a 22 magnum Taurus which had the worst DA trigger i ever tried-it couldn't be made better either,and eventually i got rid of it-now shoot 22 mag from a Ruger Single Six convertible-zero problems
I have a nickel Python and that is the best DA trigger on a wheelgun i've ever found-goes bang every time and goes where it should
Old March 19, 2008, 07:20 AM   #29
nicknitro71

I've had/have all three.

My vote goes to Ruger.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:50 AM   #30
Master Blaster

The only revolver I have had a serious ongoing problem with is a Ruger redhawk, made in 2005, It has a 10lb single action trigger pull. I put wolf reduced springs in it, 13lb 15lb 17lb, even with the 17 it will fail to ignite primers in double action about 60% of the time. I sent it back to the factory with the original spring reinstalled, and complained about the 10 lb SA trigger pull, and the 20lb DA and ruger said its in spec. Mine will never wear out because I never shoot it. All 25 of my S&W revolvers (1946 to 2007 manufacture), and my 2 taurus have been 100%. My Ruger single actions are 100% and I love them, but I would never recommend a DA ruger to anyone.
Old March 19, 2008, 08:08 AM   #31
Hammer It

Hello
Nothing but S&W's in My Safe. They have all Been accurate, well finished and dependable. They have a Higher Resale Value of any Revolver out there next to the Colt Python, but that is a whole new breed in itself. I never had a Bad S&W but have had Rugers that were Poor accuracy and they were also over made and Heavy to carry around.:barf: Regards, Hammer It
Old March 19, 2008, 05:13 PM   #32
arctictom

Probably my hand honed Colt Anaconda, is the most reliable and accurate, and only slightly behind is my 460 Smith with an 8 3/8 inch bbl, which has an only slightly polished action.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:54 PM   #33
jonsparks

rassi
Old March 30, 2008, 05:01 PM   #34
alfred

I was already convinced.Ruger

"Over made and heavy to carry around".Now that says it all to me.You got safe guns and you got carry guns.I want something "over made" even if it is "heavy to carry around" to stake my life on.I don't know much about a S&W but you sure told me a couple of great things about a Ruger that I already believed for about 50 years now.Can't beat the praise coming from someone opposed to them.Now if I get to where I am not able to handle the weight I might get to thinking different.

I Ain't Dead and I ain't Quiting.alfred
Old March 30, 2008, 05:43 PM   #35
Boncrayon

Basic perfect from S&W

A model 19 Smith & Wesson with a Packmeyer grip in .357 always bring a look and admiration for the boom and accuracy!
Old March 30, 2008, 05:54 PM   #36
bluetopper

Isn't there a better question to come up with for a poll than this one?

I mean really.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:14 AM   #37
johnbt

I don't know, maybe you should post a poll.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:43 AM   #38
TEDDY

poll

I voted for S&W but I have a Blackhawk 45 colt and 4 ruger 22 autos.and they are just as good.
I grew up with pistols you never heard of and made them work.Merisen arms 32 breakaction only had hammer and trigger,pulled hammer back held it and turned cylinder to lock,let hammer go fired every time.
my S&W is mod 10 with Bomar rib and never failed to fire and keeps them in X ring at 50 ft.I have nice Rossi stub in 22 accurate at 50 ft.
trouble with polls are they seldom give room for other considerations.my AMT 1911s are better than colts and as good or better than gold cup. ---
Old March 31, 2008, 11:00 AM   #39
ghalleen

"Most reliable revolver" is an odd question. How many people have EVER had an unreliable revolver?

I've had:
  • S&W
  • Ruger
  • Colt
  • Taurus
  • Dan Wesson

All have been 100% reliable.
Old March 31, 2008, 02:27 PM   #40
rugersp101

I'd go with Ruger as well. But I also wish Colt would bring back their awesome double action revolvers. Why the hell won't they???? I think it is a bad marketing idea on their part to not offer at least a few of the most popular models like the Python, Cobra, etc...
Old March 31, 2008, 05:21 PM   #41
aerod1

I voted for Smith & Wesson but Ruger was a close second with Taurus lagging behind.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old March 31, 2008, 06:06 PM   #42
NGIB

I have 3 Dan Wessons with a fourth on the way so I guess I couldn't vote in this one...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old March 31, 2008, 07:18 PM   #43
Colubrid

The only problems I have known about personally are with Rugers. But I would think all are relaible. This seems to be more of a popularity contest than anything else.
Old March 31, 2008, 10:40 PM   #44
skeeter1

Quote:
"I've owned 78 handguns over the last 22 years. Had only 3 guns break... all Rugers. Unlucky I guess."
That really surprises me. I like S&Ws, but only because that's all I've ever owned. From what I know of Ruger revolvers (I don't care for their semi-autos), they're built like tanks. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to own one. That you had three break on you is indeed bad luck. They are, IMHO, very strong revolvers, and somewhat less expensive than S&Ws. I got my Smiths years ago when they were fairly inexpensive, but as of the last catalog, the prices have gone way up.
Old March 31, 2008, 10:50 PM   #45
GWbiker

S&W model 10 and model 36. The 36 is my traveling companion!
Old April 9, 2008, 04:28 PM   #46
alfred

My opinion on this thread,polls and unhappy folk.

I believe that many folks are are quick to judge things that they know nothing about.Having never owned the others,naturally I can only speak about the Ruger and then only about the models and the exact ones that I am experienced with long enough.I did.That does not mean it is better or worse than the others.

Also,my thinking on polls.When someone asks me a preconceived question and only allows preconceived answers,I ask myself what is the value in the poll?Often little that I can see other than some one looking for the results that they want and limiting the answers to do so.They have taught how to manipulate polls in collage for years and it is sifting down to preschoolers now.

Then you have some who are not happy with a thread for what ever reason,and want every one to know that they are not happy.SO?Their happiness is not what the thread was about.If I did not like it I would go to one I like or start one that I would think all should be responding to instead of the one I do not like folk responding too.

No,I do not care for polls for my reasons,but I do not think polls should meet my requirements either.A lot seem to like them for their own personal reasons that I do not understand and I for one find us all comical including me.

The one negative response by one to what is going on here tells me much.

I read and I responded.I am happy to learn who polls and who tells folk that they are unhappy.At 62,I am still learning about polls and publicizing unhappiness.I have as yet to learn why for either,but that is me!

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.ALFRED