The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 21, 2002, 05:50 PM   #1
mdlowry

carry gun rusting

Lately I've been carrying a blued revolver. I've been wiping it down just about every day with Breakfree CLP. At first I didn't think about checking under the grips since I don't always take them off when I clean. After about a week of carrying I pull the grips off and it had already started to rust. Wiping it down with Breakfree removed most of the rust and the rest came off with 0000 steel wool.

Even cleaning it daily now, I've still been noticing rusting, but only in that same spot. Is there anything that will stop it from rusting? BTW, this is carried IWB and the rust is under the grip on the side next to my body.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:07 PM   #2
stans

Once the oxidation (rust) process starts, it is hard to stop. You must remove all of the rust, since that oxidized layer of metal acts as a moisture magnet. Using 0000 steel wool and and oil will help remove the rust. Blue and rust removing solutions will also work, but like the label says, "removes blue and rust". Sandblasting is a sure-fire way to remove the rust, but it would require refinishing the gun. Once the rust is removed, the bare metal needs to be protected. Some touch up blues will also cause rust if the solution is not completely neutralized once the desired blueing has been achieved. I have heard, but have no experience with, Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is good for touch up's.
Old August 21, 2002, 07:46 PM   #3
CWL

You may need to get your wheelie refinished. Perhaps even in hightech polymer or hardchrome.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:23 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Break free is a good penetrant and cleaner, but not good for rust prevention. Use a good gun oil. If rust is under the grips, don't forget to clean the grips with water and oil them before replacing them. Wood grips especially will hold moisture and salt from sweat and that will cause the gun to rust in the same place.

Jim
Old August 22, 2002, 12:05 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Suggest..
Get some RIG. Put a little on a cloth or piece of sheepskin, work it into the cloth or wool.

Remove all the rust. Then...

Use this RIG rag to wipe the gun down, you want to leave a very thin film on the gun. Do this under the grips weekly.

As Jim says....clean the grips before putting them back on.

Stuff works great on the inside too.

This system worked for me in the tropics.

Sam
Old August 22, 2002, 01:39 AM   #6
Chuck Dye

Check out the various waxes available. Once the existing rust is removed, the only way to prevent new rust is to exclude oxygen. Under the grips, a coat of wax should work and last almost indefinitely. The Sept. American Rifleman Q&A mentions microcrystalline waxes.
Old August 22, 2002, 05:01 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

RUST IS MY FRIEND

My Caspian would rust just looking at it, so off to Robar for their NP3 finish.
Perfect.
Someday all my guns (yes, even the 'stainless' ones rusting in my safe) will be NP3'd.
Old August 22, 2002, 07:57 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Jim Keenan wrote:

Quote:
Break free is a good penetrant and cleaner, but not good for rust prevention. Use a good gun oil. If rust is under the grips, don't forget to clean the grips with water and oil them before replacing them. Wood grips especially will hold moisture and salt from sweat and that will cause the gun to rust in the same place.
I've seen a number of controlled tests assessing the various gun-related oils and preservatives, and CLP generally comes out one of the best (generally ranking 1 or 2) in terms of corrosion/rust resistance. I'm curious as to why you make the claim, above.

Gun oil, used as a rust preventative, generally ranks pretty low in these tests.

I'll see if I can find a couple of the studies, tonight, and post them here. (Or, more correctly, post the links.)
Old August 22, 2002, 01:31 PM   #9
mdlowry

WESHOOT, what type of finish is NP3?

C.R. Sam, is RIG an oil or a wax? Will it be at my gun store?
Old August 22, 2002, 03:20 PM   #10
C.R.Sam

RIG = Rust Inhibiting Grease. Better gun stores and machinist's supply houses.

Sam
Old August 22, 2002, 04:46 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Walt, I say that because I have tried a lot of those cleaners, including Break Free and CLP, and they are too thin to hold well. I think they are probably OK in a static test where you spray them on a piece of steel and let it alone to rust or not. But with something being handled, I still think a light coating of oil or maybe grease works better. (Another problem is that some of the penetrants, like WD-40, can deaden primers if over used or just sprayed on a loaded gun, but that is not something anyone should do.)

The penetrants do have a place in removing rust. I use G96 Gun Treatment for that and IMO it is fine for that, but I don't depend on it for long term protection of a carry gun.

I admit that I have avoided grease, for the simple reason that having a gun slip right out of my hand could be, at best, embarassing, at worst...

Jim
Old August 22, 2002, 04:52 PM   #12
C.R.Sam

Very thin coat of RIG, (all that's needed), doesn't make gun slippery.

Sam
Old August 22, 2002, 07:42 PM   #13
CAH
Retired Screen Name

FP-10 CLP is the best rust preventative, lubricant, and cleaner that I've found. Get a free sample, and more info. here:

www.fp10.com

Best regards,
Clay
Old August 22, 2002, 08:20 PM   #14
Giant

Birchwood Casey makes a product called Sheath. It is a rust preventive. It is also used to neutralize the Birchwood Casey cold blue products, to prevent further rust from the bluing process. It works! I get mine at Big 5!

Giant
Old August 22, 2002, 09:57 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

Robar NP3

Electroless nickel (hard) impregnated with Teflon (slippery).

Perfect.
Old August 23, 2002, 05:10 PM   #16
MrMurphy

For the cheap less-rust solution, use Sentry Solutions (www.sentrysolutions.com) Tuf-Cloth. Like a silicone cloth but "wet" dries non-sticky. Works very well on blued firearms, I wipe down my Marlins (.30-30 and .22) with them, and occasionally my AK, though it's got a good enough finish it's not as necessary. They developed it for the SEALs, and the company when I ordered mine said a lot of Down South cops who keep 12ga's in their trunks wipe them down with Tuf-Cloth before casing them. I've adopted this process and have never had a problem since. For $11 it's worth it till you can get a gee-whiz finish like Roguard or NP3 or Bear Coat.