The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
skizzums

hs6 for 147gr 9x19

hello, i was wondering if anyone has experience using hs6 with the 147gr 9x19 lead cast? i have the load data starting me at 4.5 gr., so thats where ill start, but i have heard people have better luck using mag primers or much hotter loads. i have many other powders to choose from, but have had this hs-6 on the shelf for a year now and trying to find a reason to use it. please tell me if you have any experience with this load and what you are running at, or of i should just keep it on the shelf for another project. i will be using with a 16 carbine, thanks for any input
Old December 18, 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Yes, I do. I use HS-6 for my 147g LFP's.

I use 5.0g with a standard CCI 500 or Win WSP primer. I always use magnum primers with HS-6 for revolver cartridges, but not semi-auto (unless it's a defense loading - I use mag primers for all defense loads).

890 FPS through a Kahr CW9 (3.7"bbl)
971 FPS through a Baretta 92fs (5" bbl)

I haven't used this load a lot (have lots of other stuff to shoot), but it seems to be accurate and certainly isn't showing any signs of pressure problems. HS-6 is a great choice for lead 147's in 9mm, I think. Its linear pressure profile has some "forgiveness" for the small cartridge/heavy bullet combination.
Old December 18, 2013, 01:54 PM   #3

I agree with Nick, it's a good powder for the job. It will burn better once you get mid range loads so you might want to load only 5 - 10 rounds at the lower charges until you get to mid range. My Lyman Pistol & Revolver III show's Nick's load as a Max. Charge. Probably about where it will be at its best. You might also want to try Ramshot True Blue and AA#7. Both great powders for cast 147 gr. 9mm.
Old December 18, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
skizzums

cool, sounds good, ill start at about 4,7 and get warmed up with it

i wanna get pretty high because i plan to store this ammo as small game round once i get it in the sweet spot

thanls for the info, really helps alot
Old December 18, 2013, 02:51 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Low flash and great smell, too