The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2000, 07:28 PM   #1
rr41mag

Is it me or is it just hotter this year than last year? I thought for sure I had burned a fire by now but we are still running the A/C in the house.

Any ways, What does this do to deer. I have heard they don't move during the day in this hot weather. Sounds good, Right? Everyone I have talked to say they are seeing deer late evening early morning. I don't foresee the temps down here in south Miss to dip below the 80's until way after Thanksgiving.

Anyone else have any comments?

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old October 31, 2000, 07:45 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

We're getting some 40 degree nights - had one pretty good frost. But... The days are in the high 70's low 80's.

Have to admit that my hunting instinct dosen't really kick in until it gets cold..

Giz
Old October 31, 2000, 09:25 PM   #3
jbgood

I just returned from an afternoon visit to our hunting lease in the Texas hill country. The temperature was in the high 70's but I saw deer from the time I arrived at the ranch gate. In fact, a nice 8 pointer watched me fumble with the lock and finally ran away when the doe he was with decided she had seen enough of me!. I continued to see deer all evening and into the after-dark drive home. About half of what I saw were bucks, all intent on following deer of the doe-type persuasion. These animals were obviously very active and heading into, if not already in, the rut.

The weather has been mild to warm here, too, but it seems that hasn't stopped the deer from doing what deer like to do. I'll admit that it isn't easy to get in the hunting mood when it is so warm and humid, but if it doesn't bother the deer, well, I guess I can put up with it, too!

Our season opens this Saturday. Wish us luck!

-- JBGood
Old October 31, 2000, 10:51 PM   #4
pawcatch

Here in georgia most hunters are getting the most success at 10 to 12.And it is hot.I left my stand at 10a.m.only to find that a buck made a scrape there around noon.
Old October 31, 2000, 11:22 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bucks tend to eat like crazy during the weeks before the rut. Once heavily into the world of pheromones and swollen necks, they don't eat; also, they drink much less water. Thus, they have a heckuva fat buildup at the beginning of the rut. This tends to curtail daytime activity, just as you would slow down were you wearing a down jacket on a hot day.
SFAIK, this is part of why the larger bucks and the true trophy bucks are more active later into the season. Cooler or colder weather, and that down jacket doesn't slow them down as much.

By and large, the best deer for eating are found during the earlier part of the season; the best trophies are taken later.

But no deer absolutely always "goes by Art's book". Which is what makes it so much fun.

, Art