The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Rey de Copas

Need advice: SR-22 or SiG-522?

Hello everyone,

Im looking for a .22 carbine (tacticool ), and Im narrowed the selection to this two: Ruger SR-22 and SiG-522. Anyone can tell me pro and cons of both?

Note: Im in Argentina, most of the carbines that you find in the USA* are available here so Im open to other options too. Problem is that everything is overpriced (50% to 100% more than in USA). So I prioritice SR-22 and SiG-522 as they are being sold at a rational value.

*Well, except S&W, they are not importing stuff over here right now
Old August 10, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
tahunua001

well the SR22 is essentially a 10/22 which is without a doubt the most popular 22lr semi auto on the market. they tacticool it up by putting it in an AR15 style stock but since the mechanics are still 10/22 it still uses the side charging handle and underside mag release. I have a similar setup on a 10/22 of my own. it's not a perfect clone of an AR15 but the ergonomics feel pretty similar and it makes for a more natural transition if I am switching back and forth between my ARs and 10/22.

I have no experience with the sig but they are not overly renowned for their quality when it comes to rifles or 22s for that matter. I don't know if this is a true sig or if it's a GSG rebranded as a sig like their 22LR 1911s. either way I would recommend the SR22 over the 522.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Coach Z

I'd vote for the ruger as well. It's based on the very time tested 10/22 platform and you can't go wrong there.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
batmann

If a S&W M&P 22 is not available, then the Ruger is your best choice. They are reliable, parts are easy to get and they are reasonably priced. Add to that Ruger service is very good. What ever you buy, you want something that has a track record (Ruger) and will help if you ever need repairs.
My son has a Ruger 10-22 ( not the SR, but the same rifle minus tactical stuff) and it has been flawless and I have a S&W M&P 22 this has been very good as well. I have no experience with the Sig, so I base my experience on what I know works. Happy shooting whatever you decide.
Old August 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Erno86

I own a Ruger SR-22...I like it for it's accuracy, durability, magazine reliability and the Ruger repair department.

I like the tri-coupler for the Ruger 10 round mags; including the case. The see- thru mags are better, so you can see the round count and lead deposits. Clean the mags with plastic stick Q-Tips, soaked with solvent. Get a least a couple of Ruger 25 round mags when available. I do not like the Pro-Mag's, for they seem to have softer plastic followers that wear out faster.

If you do get the SR-22, you'll have Blue-Loctite work to do. The bottom 1" screw in front of the receiver will have to be Loctited. Keep an eye on it. If it comes loose...you'll loose your scope mounted zero. Same goes for the 5 small top scope mount allen screws on top of the receiver. They are easy to strip. Do not over Loc-Tite the screws, or you could freeze the firing pin; like I did.

I did strip two of the top scope mount scope screws....sent the rifle back to the Ruger repair department, and they sent me back a brand new SR-22 rifle.

To clean...I spray the inside of the receiver with degreaser, Bore Snake the pipe and oil spray down.

Usually...the SiG Repair Department, has a long multi-call wait list. Long distance call fees could add-up. The SiG-522 looks more rad...since I've seen one operate at the range --- but that is all I can tell you about the rifle.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; August 10, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old August 15, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
TacGunner

I am going to break rank here and recommend the SIG 522. Having owned both, the Ruger is "dressed up" to look like an AR-15, but has none of the same controls. Rugers are nice, but the SIG 522 is much better. As a Tactical 22, I like the idea of training with the same control group as the it's big brother. It helps reinforce good habits, and develop familiarity with the platform.

The SIG is extremely reliable, accurate, and has a nice folding stock. Best part is it is nearly identical to it's big brother the SIG 556, the controls are essentially the same. The SIGs take non-proprietary magazines, so you can find mags easily.

If you want simply a "dressed up" 22 that looks like an AR, I would check out the Mossberg 715 line, they are normally pretty cheap, and shoot well.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
tahunua001

with all due respect to tacgunner,
first you decry the SR22 for being a 10/22 dressed up to look like an AR but is a poor choice because it doesn't have AR15 controls and instead recommend the sig 522.

this confuses me because the 522 does not have the same controls as an ar either. it has the same controls as a sig 556 but there is a very small percentage of the shooting populace that owns one and they have less than stellar reputations.

lastly with the "better because it uses non-proprietary mags". the ruger has been around for many decades. the magazines are anywhere and everywhere. 22LR magazines for ar15 type rifles are still not nearly as available even if they are non-proprietary.
Old August 16, 2013, 10:16 AM   #8
velillen

I have a Sig 522 and love it. It shoots every ammo I've run through it so far. Mags are cheap for it up here. Works great with a suppressor too.

I have a 10/22 as well and it is fun to shoot too though. Both have about the same accuracy.
Old August 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Venom1956

Another option is to just get a standard 10/22 and mod it as you see fit. Its quite a bit cheaper upfront and in the end you'll probably have a much better rifle. Not sure how your laws are about importing parts that would be the largest hurdle.

Nordic Chassis is THE 10/22 AR-like chassis (for customizing) with is the one the SR-22 comes with. but half the fun of a 10/22 is making it. It is a very enjoyable experience 99% of the stuff you get to do yourself and in the end you'll have a personal rifle that is totally yours and save yourself a huge pile of unused parts gathering dust.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
hodaka

I went to Academy last night to buy a S&W 15-22. I have seen people shooting them and I am impressed with accuracy and reliability. After holding the S&W and the Sig, I came home with the Sig. Heavier and generally feels better. I like Ruger and own several but did not consider it. I have since read reviews on the Sig and it seems to have a following. Midway has the mags for $18. I will try it out tomorrow and comment on the forum.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:31 PM   #11
ShipWreck

i almost bought the Sig, but the stock is not adjustible. It's too short for me - I have read that same complaint by others.

I ended up getting the 15-22 S&W. Made a few changes to it... (it is not a suppressor - just a barrel shroud)

Old August 20, 2013, 12:39 AM   #12
TacGunner

Honestly you can't go wrong with the 10/22, S&W, or Sig.. I have all 3, and while I prefer the Sig, all 3 get shot.

My only complaint when I bought my Sig was that it didn't come with Iron sights. You can buy the factory ones, but they are expensive and hard to find. I ended up picking up the Stronghold Tactical A2 Height SIG 522 front sight. I run it with a Magpul Mbus rear sight and it works great.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old August 20, 2013, 02:46 AM   #13
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956
Another option is to just get a standard 10/22 and mod it as you see fit. Its quite a bit cheaper upfront and in the end you'll probably have a much better rifle. Not sure how your laws are about importing parts that would be the largest hurdle.
This is what I did, and I felt like it worked for me.

I bought a carbine length 10/22 from my LGS (225 USD) and the ATI Strikeforce Adjustible/Folding stock used (70 USD). I added a cheap red dot, a foregrip, and sling for another 56 USD. Not sure what you would be able to find in Argentina, but I think Venom is right, sometimes going piece-meal is cheaper, and was more fun for me.