The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
DogRomeo

So many guns, so little money (well, sort of)

To start off, thank you for checking out my 1st thread. Ready to help me out? Of course you are & that's why YOU'RE AWESOME!
This is completely subjective & as a "gun virgin", I'd love whatever feedback & advise yall feel like dishing out with 1 rule-PLEASE DON'T TRY TO SELL ME ON A GUN I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT UNLESS IT MEETS THE CRITERIA DESCRIBED BELOW...the reason being: I've spent close to a year educating myself about the weapons listed below on forums, online reviews & from fellow service members & have narrowed down the list to these based on price(<700 new or like new), capacity(>15 with hi caps or NIB), reliability(if you clean it, it'll shoot forever), style(2 tone/bi-tone is a must) & size(barrel length & grip width can't be huge, I'm 5'7").
As far as pistols go, I've put a box of ammo through a S&W 1911 at Boston gun range & a clip through an Army issue Beretta 92F over in Iraq & preferred the former over the latter, but I digress.
It'll be a range/fun gun, BTW. I'm currently looking into gun shops & ranges in my area to see if I can get my hands on some of the autos on my list, since I know that's the best way to see how I feel about them.
In no particular order of what I'm leaning towards buying here they are (cal excluded, lets tackle this 1st) & hopefully some of you will reply.
~Beretta 96G Elite series
~SA XDm
~Browning hi-power practical (do I get a clone to make it more monitarily feasable or am I justifying buying a cheap gun, because BHP pract. aren't <700, right?)
~CZ-75b
~Taurus 24-7 OSS SOCOM
~H&K USP
Seriously everybody, thanks for your input...unless you don't follow my 1 guideline, then you're a commie or a nazi who doesn't support the troops lol
Old June 22, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
WvHiker

Personally, the High Power would be my first choice. Of the other ones I might shy away from the Taurus; I've never had any problems with them, but I don't actually own one and hear a lot of negative things on this and other boards. The Beretta, HK, CZ and XD are all sweet guns.

You're going to hear this a lot - buy which ever one feels the most "right" in your hand. You'll know when you handle them. If more than one feels right then go for a deal or whim. CZ probably represents the best value for the buck, though the XD is a close runner in that category too. You're going to wind up with more than one pistol in all probability anyway, so don't beat your head against the wall on picking out your first one.
Old June 22, 2010, 09:52 PM   #3
DogRomeo

Awesome! Thanks for the intel & you're right; I do intend to buy more than 1 auto. I already have a lil plan to buy 2 autos, a revolver for CCW, a shotgun of course & later on a rifle. Take care man.
Old June 22, 2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

For a first pistol the CZ 75 will probably fit the bill nicely. They work well and are very accurate too. I think they are still under rated by many people. What they lack in beauty they make up everywhere else. The Compact versions carry a little less ammo. The 75 compact holds 14 in the magazine. This is the 9 mm version. I suggest staying with 9 mm at least for now in a center fire pistol because the ammo is cheaper. One pistol I noticed was missing. Sig Pro SP 2022. It is also a 9 mm and has either 10 or 15 round magazines. They are also a good value.

If you can borrow, rent or what ever to try which guns you really think might work for you, that is a great idea. If you get one that works well, you probably should continue to save your money for the next great purchase. It is very hard to stay with only one pistol.

I forgot that the SP2022 doesn't come in a two tone.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; June 23, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Love Gun

I have an Elite II, and I love it. The way it feels in my hand, the way it looks, and its accuracy are great. I know most people won't agree with me, but I don't like the way any of the XDs feel, so I've never bought one. Another thing i like about the 96g(or any beretta) is the rotating lock-up, as in my opinion it's inherently strong and accurate, and the round doesn't have a very long trip up the feed ramp. Good luck deciding! Can't tell you how many times i've wandered around the gunstore for 2 hours trying to decide!
Old June 22, 2010, 10:24 PM   #6
IMTHDUKE

I should have bought that BHP pratical years ago. It's so pratical and a very nice piece.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old June 22, 2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Chesster

Welcome. My favorite carry is a Glock 19 but it is not tutone. Of those listed, the BHP Practical followed by the CZ75B would be my choices.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old June 23, 2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Glockleprechaun

I would go with either the XDm or CZ 75. Both are very reliable and accurate. If it were me I would go with the XDm. It comes with a match grade barrel, and some of the abuse it is able to withstand is ridiculous! The XDm also has interchangeable backstraps which, IMO is a good feature. All that being said, I'm considering both for my next handgun. Before I forget, I love my Glock 19! It is extremely reliable and easy to customize. (So are all the Other models) Mine is OD green which gives it a cool Bitone look, as your criteria requested.

Thank you for your service,

Evan

Last edited by Glockleprechaun; June 23, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:06 AM   #9
whippoorwill

Quote:
I might shy away from the Taurus; I've never had any problems with them, but I don't actually own one and hear a lot of negative things on this and other boards.

I'd probably go with either CZ-75b or H&K USP. But, don't discount the Taurus 24-7 OSS SOCOM. It's nice also (based on owning one).

The BHP is supposed to be great, however I recently got one in and then returned it due to poor finish. I wasn't impressed with the grips (should be much nicer for the price), and it had several blemishes in the bluing. But, I can imagine that if you get a nice one, they're fine.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:48 AM   #10
pythagorean

Browning Hi Power for sure. Mine's a recent "made in Belgium assembled in Portuagal" version. I've had the old ones and the new ones over the years. I've had the CZ 75s original and 75B series. I've had the SW 59 and Beretta (M9). I've had all sorts and the one out of your list that jumps out to me head and shoulders above all is the BHP:

This auto works every time. Never a hiccup. It is a totally reliable handgun.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:31 PM   #11
varoadking

Scratch the Taurus from your list and take your pick...any of the others would serve you well as a first gun.

Of what you listed, the HK would be my choice, but then I've owned about them all at one point or another...
Old June 23, 2010, 07:46 PM   #12
FALacy

Nuff said.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:00 PM   #13
bigredfish

No SIG choice? hmmm....

I have a 92G Elite and wouldn't part with it for any amount. Reliable, accurate and just darn sexy.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

The Browning High Power. It's a classic beauty.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 1, 2010, 07:53 PM   #15
DogRomeo

gentlemen, thank you!

I've been on vacation for the last 2 months visiting my wife in CA & family from CT to MD & am finally back home again & am excited to get into this old ass thread.
So I got out to a few ranges & wasn't able to try out too many out of those on my 9mm list...
NO~Beretta 96G Elite series
YES~SA XDm
NO~Browning hi-power practical
YES~CZ-75b
NO~Taurus 24-7 OSS SOCOM
YES~H&K USP
& here are my impressions on what I shot. Take it FWIW as I'm an inexperienced pistoleer
XDM - accurate, blah trigger, a little more recoil than I like, great fit in my hand
CZ-75B - a bit more solid feeling, a little more recoil than I like, excellent POI
USP - too much gun for my hands, shot on target more than the others, nice trigger

I also shot the G19 (because guys were preaching how I have to at least give it a try) & the S&W M&P. The M&P was almost identical to the XDM but isn't 2 tone. Then I shot the G19. I was blown away by practically everything about it & I in the time it took me to put my box of federal through it, I went from not wanting anything to do with a Glock to walking out with 1. It was by far the most fun to shoot & shot the best for me on target even during rapid fire. Now I gotta get that 2 tone look by getting the slide done somewhere!
Just want to be clear though, that I am still in the market for a 45 & will be checking some out next week.
I really wish I could have tried out those I didn't get a chance to shoot, along with a few others that have been suggested like the FN FNP. I talked to my wife about buying more guns & she told me that I can get whatever I want as long as I stick to my rule - don't go buying something without shooting it.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:40 AM   #16
djc

If you like the G19, you should get the G19. People either love or hate to shoot them. It sounds like you loved it, so why not? Plus it is a carryable size should you choose to carry.

While I love the Hi-Power, it's not the best choice for me when it came to taking defensive/training classes for the following reasons:
1) I would occasionally get hammer bitten by the spur hammer. If you change out to the bobbed hammer then that reduces the chances, but it's added cost that isn't there for other options. Some people are more susceptible to hammer bite than others.
2) I prefer no manual safety, just draw and fire
3) My particular model had a mushy trigger reset
Old September 2, 2010, 09:53 AM   #17
DogRomeo

Yes, I got it. Like I said, "I went from not wanting anything to do with a Glock to walking out with 1". Like you I also like to draw & fire. Being a machine gunner on top of a fast moving vehicle is how I learned that my trigger finger is my safety. I never had a problem switching my M4 from safe to semi either so I'm fine with either way.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:58 AM   #18
djc

whoops, i missed that part. congrats on your purchase. now you can spend your time .45 shopping!

personally i found the glock 30 and 36 to have too much recoil for me but i'm definitely in the "hate" camp for liking how glocks feel.
Old September 2, 2010, 10:06 AM   #19
DogRomeo

Well that's how I used to be. I held a few of my buddies years ago & none of em fit me at all, but guys on here & other boards persuaded me to fondle either a G19 or 23 & when I did right away it was totally different than the blocky ones I tried back in the day.
I had no interest whatsoever in Glocks & if I was going to try one out just to basically humor the guys what model would be a good fit for a 5'7" guy with medium hands. Well I'm happy I did cuz my G19 fit me as perfectly as the XDM, M&P & CZ75B...only difference is it shot & felt better overall than all those other 9's did when I put a box through em.

Tags
beretta , cz75b , h&k usp , taurus 24/7 pro , xdm