The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2013, 07:43 PM   #1
brokenanew

Supply dry spell.

I can't get a blooming thing! Especially as far as powder goes. Anyone have
any idea when this dry spell wil slack up? Any insights?
Old February 12, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
FloridaGuy

My local gun shop seems to think it is just going to get worse. I was there this past weekend and was looking at some different powders. They had one that I want to use to load .45 ACP in a couple of weeks. I told him that I would pick it up closer to when I was going to use it. He said don't wait because it is just going to get worse.

He has very little inventory on guns and don't known when they will be getting any in. They did just receive a shippement of AR15's that they are putting out for sale this weekend. But the prices are outrages for these guns. His shelves are pretty well stocked with factory loaded ammo except for .38 Special and .22LR ammo that is all gone.

They still have a good supply of reloading components except for some powders are not in stock. So far they are not limiting the quanities that you can purchase of reloading supplies or ammo.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

If your shop still has a good supply of reloading components and factory ammo in most calibers, even with no purchase limits, that's very unusual - most stores have been almost completely stripped for weeks.

I keep expecting the local Wal-Mart to start putting non-gun stuff in the ammo case, rather than just letting it sit bare the way it has been lately.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
lamarw

Berry's, a plated bullet manufacturer, states on their web site they are not taking orders and their current outstanding orders stretch out 6 to 8 months.

Powder Valley has stopped taking orders for primers. I have 6,000 small pistol primers on back order prior to their halt to taking orders. I suspect it will be months prior to seeing my small order.

As another poster stated; things may get much worse before they get better. I suspect Berry's order status is very telling on just how bad thing are going to end up for all of us both reloaders and new ammo buyers.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5
justsoIcanupvotethis

Dont know where you are but Cabela's in Kansas City had an almost full supply of Alliant Powders today. My LGS here in Topeka has just about every powder I can think of. Bullets now thats another story.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:45 PM   #6
dornjmd

I know someone was mentioning a shortage on lead. I came across this while looking for something completely different. I have no idea about prices (I've never bought lead before) but they have some in stock.

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
Old February 12, 2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Jbotto

I've been able to order bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. It took a bit longer than normal, but I did get them. Powder, last I checked, was still around and on shelves... Brass I'm not worried about... There are always hoarders like me deciding to sell. What I'm mostly worried about is primers. I think I have 250 small pistol primers left, and 150 are primed in empty cases.... That worries me. For how much I shoot my .223, I'm good on supplies for that for at least a year. But large rifle primers and small pistol primers I am definitely low on. Maybe I'll happen upon some somewhere!
Old February 12, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
brokenanew

A bird told me that the government has bought so much ammunition recently that its killed supply. Would this have really effect reloading supplies as well?

You cant even get .22LR...anywhere here. No powders at least ones that are even remotely popular. Brass is a laugh and u may occasionally run into primers. Bullets are somewhat available but its not going to be in popular weights like 168gr for .308 or 55gr for .223 etc. Anyway. I think once the house shoots down gun control proposals some of the scare might start to fade and the supply will slowly trickle back.

One of the biggest problems are the hoarders. You know, the kind that would only use a 1lb of a certain powder in a year but bought 5 lbs. ugh!

I was able to get my go to bullet in .223 (77SMK) directly from Sierra when no one online or local shops had any. If only I could do that with powders
Old February 12, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
serf 'rett

Quote:
A bird told me that the government has bought so much ammunition recently that its killed supply. Would this have really effect reloading supplies as well?
Simple answer yes. Primers/bullets will be used to make ammo first.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
reloader28

You better get used to it.
I think this is only the beginning.

How on earth could you NOT know this was coming?
Old February 13, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
ATPBULLETS

When supplies return..... there may be a much higher price point as well....
legislation may put the federal taxes into this equation...
Old February 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #12
MarcB

This whole mess is due to hoarding, period. And you are right it will get worse before it gets better. This same thing happened during the Vietnam war. My store had a hard time keeping primers and powder in stock. People were buying up reloading stuff out of panic. Factories couldn't keep up and believe me they shot more ammo over there (Vietnam) than the all the mideast combined.. The factories added extra shifts and eventually the shortage was curbed. Not so this time. Factories aren't willing to add extra employees and also a shortage of some materials (At reasonable prices ie: copper). are keeping supplies short. Add to this the the possibility of government regulation the hoarding will continue.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:46 AM   #13
rajbcpa

I started hording EVERYTHING last August when I was unable to buy primers at several LGS.

The shortage should subside in 9 months to 1 year, perhaps a tad longer.

This shortage is MUCH worse than anything that ocuured in 2008 after the first Obama win.

His attorney general has been cited for contempt of Congress for failing to provide information on the ATFs assault weapons gun running operation. The ATFs operation was designed to create a culture for the future ban of assault weapons.

Does that tell you something about Obama's desire to grab our guns?

If you did not hord supplies begining last year you are out of luck for about 1 year - maybe longer.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Jbotto

This showed up on my Facebook page today...
http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

It can also be found on the very top of Hornady's website.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #15
TheNatureBoy

I personally think this drought is gonna last a little longer than the last one. I was in a shop yesterday with a co-worker who was looking to purchase a XD 9mm. One of the employees told him that there were 80,000 units back ordered for Springfield XD semi-autos and he couldn't tell him when one would arrive if he ordered it. We went to another shop and they had one for $599 and he put it on lay away. I've been able to find a few boxes of bullets (reloading) at Bass Pro Shops for my .308 and my daughters .22-250. I ordered 100 pieces of used .308 brass that came in last week. I think I'm gonna be able to ride this thing out.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:01 PM   #16
dumbodave

Up here in Canada there is a general unease about powder and primer supplies. I have managed to get 4 or 5 years of primer supplies and I have a reasonable stock of powder, but if people want to reload at all in the next few months, have a look at your reserves!
Old February 13, 2013, 08:17 PM   #17
CrustyFN

Well if it's anything like 2008 things should start to improve in 6 to 9 months.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Huskerguy

Talked to my LGS guy who is hooked in to Davidsons as his supplier. They are predicting that 30% of current LGS's will be out of business in a year because they will not have anything to sell. Orders are put on back order and you have no idea when or if something is going to come in. You order and hope. When stuff does come in, it flies off of shelves in a day or two.

Wholesale prices have not increased as of a couple weeks ago for primers and reloading stock.

Several reports out there that this will last another 9 months which puts us in November. By that time, things will have changed so much, who knows what a fair price for anything is. Also, I am afraid of to many guys going out of business which will cause prices to go higher because they have to increase prices to cover the lack of revenue for the last few months and to possibly cover the cost of increased government restrictions.

All in all not a pretty picture.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #19
greentick

Powder Valley has a bunch of powders listed in stock.

Ship times are delayed per their web page
Old February 14, 2013, 11:41 AM   #20
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I can't get a blooming thing! Especially as far as powder goes. Anyone have
any idea when this dry spell wil slack up? Any insights?
Depends on how the elections go in 2014 and 2016..........

Otherwise, get in on a backorder list
Old February 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #21
jag2

I agree with the 6 to 9 months. Probably better supply by the fall but may be into next year before the prices come back down. Looked at some of the winning bids at Gunnrunner on AR type rifles and although they were high they weren't too bad so maybe that is encouraging.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:03 PM   #22
BigJimP

All of this has been created by shooters that are hoarding stuff....that they won't use up in 10 yrs....we're doing it to ourselves on the ammo and reloading supply side.....

No matter what might happen with high capacity mags and AR's ....none of it has anything to do with 9mm or .22 ammo....

I hope it stops in the next 3 or 4 months...
Old February 14, 2013, 02:07 PM   #23
temmi

6 months

Then

Slowly better

Snake