The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Soundtrackzz

whats more comfortable a Drop or a straight?

Hey guys i just bought my first belt and holster. The holster is great but im sending the belt back because its too small. It is a straight belt but im considering reordering a drop belt because the holster slid around alot on the straight belt. does anyone else have this problem?
Old August 5, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Hawg

Get the holster where you want it to stay and put a Chicago screw in it.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:14 PM   #3
kflach
Registration in progress

What are "drop" and "straight" belts. I've read those terms but never seen 'em explained.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
mykeal

A straight belt is just what it sounds like: the sides are parallel the entire length of the belt. A drop belt has a place where the belt goes over the hip that is substantially wider on the bottom side. It has a slot in it for the holster flap that usually goes over and around the belt; it allows the holster to hang lower than it normally would if hung from a straight belt.
Old August 13, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Hawg

Straight.

Dropped or as it's more popularly known Buscadero rig.

The Buscadero is a Hollyweird invention from the 1950's
Old August 14, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
kflach
Registration in progress

Thanks!

It looks like the dropped would be better if you've got a long barrel. However, it also sounds like it wouldn't be acceptable if you're going for historical accuracy.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
It looks like the dropped would be better if you've got a long barrel. However, it also sounds like it wouldn't be acceptable if you're going for historical accuracy.
No they're not historically accurate. Neither are cut down or fast draw holsters. The holsters in the top pic are historically accurate Mexican double loop.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I like historical and some of my favorite guns are from the 1865 to 1905 era but walking around, especially in the woods I prefer comfortable so the Buscadero rig is my first choice for every day use.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 15, 2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Noz

I prefer a holster that rides high on my belt rather than a buscadero that is banging against my leg. The high ride is not a quick to get into action with a long barrel gun but it sure is more comfortable.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:22 AM   #10
williamfeldmann

My dad gave me a gift certificate for Christmas so I just had this setup built by Circle KB. I use long barrel ROA and wanted a nice custom setup for all the riding, hunting, and for competition.

It utilizes a straight belt with traditional double loop holsters. I had them drop the gun about 2 inches from where a tradtional holster would put the gun to give me a bit lower carry for comfort. You can see that the gun butt is at the belt rather than above. Since I usually use the cap and ball cylinders and can't really quickly reload in the field even with conversion cylinders, I had them leave off the bullet loops.

The holsters are lower cut in the front to accomodate my adjustable sight ROA without hitting the rear sight. I had tie downs and hammer straps added (no additional cost).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0288.jpg (252.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0289.jpg (250.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0307.jpg (252.2 KB, 40 views)
Old August 18, 2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Hawg

williamfeldmann, you must be left handed. I noticed you have the belt threaded backwards.
Old August 18, 2009, 01:05 PM   #12
CraigC

Straight belt for me, with the holster high and back on my right hip with a slight forward cant.
Old August 18, 2009, 01:24 PM   #13
kflach
Registration in progress

Can you just scoot a holster to the opposite side of the belt to make it "cross-draw" (assuming it doesn't have any kind of tilt to it)?
Old August 18, 2009, 07:23 PM   #14
mykeal

Cross draw, aka weak side carry, holsters are not the same as strong side holsters worn backwards. The angle that the gun comes out of the weak side holster when drawn by the strong hand is very different than the angle that it takes when drawn from the strong side by the strong hand. A weak side carry holster needs to be angled, or 'tilted', away from the vertical by a larger amount than a strong side carry holster.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Hawg

What mykeal said.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:41 AM   #16
williamfeldmann

Hawg,

I am impressed that you caught that. I am not left handed, but I prefer my belt strung that direction.

When I wear a sidearm as a second gun, I typically wear it on my left strong side. Comes from my time in the Air Force. It easier to draw a sidearm with my left while still firing my rifle with my right. As such I am pretty decent with my left strong handing, almost as good as with my right.

I wish my local club would do gunfighter stages, but they don't.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Buck Conner

Quote:
The Buscadero is a Hollyweird invention from the 1950's
Here's Tom Mix wearing a Buscadero from a movie made in 1926, another straight rig from a movie made in 1911. His career in movies ran from 1910 to 1935.

[/CENTER]

Take your choice they are all period correct. Will try and fix size of 1st picture.
NAF Mountaineer Degree
Old August 27, 2009, 05:33 PM   #18
Hawg

They're still a Hollyweird invention. They weren't worn in the old west.
Old September 6, 2009, 12:49 PM   #19
lexington1

The straight holsters are more historically correct and are more practical for everyday wear. For range use (and spagetti Western use) the drop down rigs are more comfortable.