The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2009, 09:47 AM   #1
SigP6Carry

The Plinkerton

Hello. I'm fairly new to the forum and fairly new to firearms use (not really, it's a long history, but it's been a while). Now that I've actually got a FOID and have found a good range within a reasonable distance to me, I've gotten back into shooting (I got a little overzealous last time, and my hand is not thanking me). I own two revolvers currently, both of which are odd-balls and was thinking of picking up a Cimarron Plinterton, but I have one question that all the searching in the world can't bring up a real answer for:

Is the Plinkterton a downsized SAA or is it full size? The pictures I've seen of it make it look to be a 1/1 scale, but I'm worried that it's like the Ruger Bearcat, where it's a 7/8 scale. I'd rather not get a "smaller than life" SAA.

The reason I ask, rather than try one out, is because no shops around me have them in stock, but can get them through special order. I've seen/held a couple of other .22lr SAAs, but they feel like toys or pocket pistols, instead of the venerable .45
Old August 29, 2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

Cimarron Pinkerton

I guessin' it's a full size .45 Colt SAA with maybe a Birdshead grip and a 3" bbl...am I close?
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 31, 2009, 03:03 PM   #3
ZVP

I have one and it is a 1/1 scale pistol.
The plinkerton is definatelly NOT a high quality revolver like a Ruger, but is serviceable.
Mine took a solid 300 shots to break-in and shoot every pull of the trigger.Simple use and oil is all the break-in takes to do.
The frame is some sort of alloy which just needs to wear-in to the steel parts like the hand and cylinder lug. After the parts bed themselves in operation becomes smoother and indexing is correct and sure.
It shoots all types of .22 rimfire cartriges well and favors the .22LR for easiest loading.
Accuracy-wise, expect to have the shots remain on a playing card @ 7 yards offhand and groups are normally "Minute of Coke Can" at 20 yards plinking range. Goo enough for a $169 plinker and probablly good enough to save your life should the task be asked of it.
I'd recommend one for a play-gun and remind you to not get your hopes up too high cause it won't be a Colt or a Ruger.
HTH,
ZVP
Old September 1, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4
SigP6Carry

yeah, it sounds like exactly what I'd be looking for in an SAA. I'm not looking to do any competitions or anything, I just want something that I plug away with all day for $25, instead of something that'd cost me $25 to shoot for a few minutes, you know? I'm wondering when/where I'll fit in the Plinkterton, though. My first order of business is a good 9mm handgun and a rifle.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:26 PM   #5
flippycat

I have had mine.. er wifes.. since March of 09 fun fun to shoot.

a quote from when i first got it in the thread below..
Quote:
And forgetting to mention, I loved the feel of this ..even for a .22 it is beefy as hell in my big hands compared to the heritage for about the same price.
and pic in this thread also..

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=plinkerton
Old September 1, 2009, 08:47 PM   #6
longranger

Lifes to short to shoot crappy guns, get the Ruger/Colt/USFA and stop sending your hard earned dollars to foreingners.Support an American for a change.Wana know why there are no jobs here cause there over there.:barf:
Old September 1, 2009, 10:53 PM   #7
flippycat

longranger: I think when Ruger/Colt/USFA can produce a new in box saa for the price of a fun target shooting Plinkerton off the shelf for $170, then they will see more of the penny pinching clientele who you say have forced American jobs overseas.

Rest assured though, I would be willing to bet we are all shooting American made .22 ammo and are buying them from American owned gun shops and even possibly shooting them at American owned ranges.

Lifes too short to brow beat anyone trying to stretch their dollar to enjoy some target practice. Some of you really need to lighten up some.

Thomme: Not sure if you saw this review on your quest for knowledge but it was what helped me make the choice to get mine when i saw one at the shop.
http://www.gunblast.com/Cimarron-Plinkerton.htm
Old September 1, 2009, 11:46 PM   #8
longranger

Flippycat

Feeling a little guilty?

Some of you need to figure out where your country is going
Old September 2, 2009, 03:15 AM   #9
CapnTrainwreck

For the same price get a Heritage Rough Rider. I got my .22/.22mag convertible with a 6.5" barrel for 189. Unlike the Plinkerton it has a full steel barrel, the "safety" is operated with your thumb not a key, and it's 100% american made down in Florida. I handled both guns and the quality on the Heritage was far better. Not nearly at Ruger Single Six levels of quality but still nice.
Old September 2, 2009, 11:19 AM   #10
SigP6Carry

I did look at the Heritages, but I don't have a chance to handle them. I was under the impression that compared to the Plinkerton, they're actually on the smaller side/more toyish size. I was specifically look at the RR22B4/MB4, which is the fixed site, blued model with the "normal" grips. Since you've handled one, Trainwreck, the size of the rough rider is 1/1 to an SAA?
Old September 2, 2009, 05:04 PM   #11
arcticap

I'm not sure that there's any "common" single action .22 that's 1/1 with a Colt SAA, and I doubt that even the Colt .22's are 1/1 with them.
But here's a picture of a Heritage Rough Rider next to a Ruger Black Hawk.
This aluminum frame RR has a minor quirk in the timing which causes the cylinder bolt to engage and bind the cylinder sometimes when cocking it right after loading it on 1/2 cock, but it's surprisingly accurate. It shoots very close to hitting clay pigeons at 50 yards with every shot, the flip up safety is very functional and unique, it has adjustable fiber optic sights and came with a .22 mag. cylinder.
Heritage also makes a steel frame Rough Rider model.
This one cost $135 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090440a28%.JPG (116.3 KB, 1164 views)

Last edited by arcticap; September 2, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old September 3, 2009, 03:17 AM   #12
CapnTrainwreck

I don't think the Heritage was 1/1 with a SAA...but I didn't think the Plinkerton was either. I like the grip, it's small-ish but it's not like my pinky is hanging off the bottom. It's not as comfy as my OM Blackhawk but i don't think anything in this world would compare to that.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:30 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Nice looking little sixshooter articap. Years ago I had a Colt frontier scout but sold it. I just came into this old Bearcat, kind of fun shooting a .22 revolver again after so many years.