The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
ryan-usaf-95

Need advice on an AR-15

Hey guys this is my first post so sorry if i mess anything up.
Anyway, I'm looking to buy my first AR-15 and a buddy of mine has one he'll sell me its a Palmetto State Armory 16 inch stainless steel barrel with a 1:8 twist, is chambered for .223 wylde, and has all magpul furniture. He said he'll sell it to me for $800 and will throw in some mags a rifle case and a pistol grip. From what he's told me he's only shot about 30-40 rounds through it. I'm just wanting to know if this is a good deal and should i take him up on the offer? Ill attach some pics below. Any info is much appreciated. And by the way the trijicon optic is not included but i could probably get him to throw it in for a little more $
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4126~2.jpg (228.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7803.jpg (219.5 KB, 103 views)
Old June 22, 2015, 09:32 PM   #2
rickyrick

maybe 650$ tops. That's still high but it's convienient.

I'm a fan of PSA but, right now they're not very expensive. How many mags?
What kinda case?

Ten or so mags and a pelican box might make it worth while

If you really like it, then maybe... It's a convienient package
Old June 22, 2015, 09:47 PM   #3
ryan-usaf-95

I'm not sure exactly what all comes with it. He just said he'd throw in some mags, a case, and the pistol grip that's in the pic. I'm going over to his house on Wednesday to take a look at it. I like the rifle but wasn't sure about that price because I did some research on PSA and it seems like they're going for a lot less than that.
Old June 22, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4
lamarw

It is difficult when buying and selling with a buddy. I would think, if he is a buddy, he will want to do you right and vice versa.

Go to GunBroker and take a look at recent sells for the same rifle. Don't look at selling but at actual recent sells. Then consider what the additional accessories are valued at.

Also realize you are buying a used firearm, and I doubt the warranty is transferrable.

Four months ago I purchased a new Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport for less than $582.00 which included 8% sales tax. It was from a nearby brick and mortar gun store.
Old June 22, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
ryan-usaf-95

Ok thanks guys I'll do a bit more home work before I make any decisions. I was originally going to get a ruger AR556 at my LGS for $595 until my friend said he wanted to sell his AR. After looking around online I think he may be asking too much so I might pass
Old June 22, 2015, 10:45 PM   #6
chris in va

I say give him $700 cash and be happy with your purchase. It looks very nice and has a good twist and chamber.

Sure you can get a nice Sport for $580 now, but not with the Magpul extras.

Oh and definitely work a deal with that Trijicon, they're not cheap!
Old June 23, 2015, 12:33 AM   #7
marine6680

The deal really hinges on the case... If it's a quality hard case, those can cost around 150, and 250 for a pelican.

Also what version of PSA it is.

Complete freedom line rifles go for 650-700 new, but the barrel is usually marked "freedom".

If it's their standard premium line it's about 100 more. Premium with a CHF barrel for 100 more...

That is non-sale prices, I have seen the premium with CHF barrel go for 750 on sale.

PSA sells a lot of blems on sale for good prices, which throws off the standard price in people's minds. Their best basic carbine setup does cost the same or just a bit less than a similar colt.

The rifle looks like their standard line, if it's just a good hard case and not a pelican, 700 would be a good deal for a like new rifle. As that is basically less than the cost of the rifle with a free case. 800 wouldn't be a bad deal either. (working on the assumption that the rifle cost between 750-800 new)

PSA makes a good rifle, so no worries there...

Even their budget line is pretty good... Though the m&p sport gives them a good run, but it does lack some standard features like dust cover and forward assist... But those are of limited use for most users. I do think the fit and finish on the m&p sport is better... They cost the same money though, so it's a trade off, less features with a bit better fit/finish.

So yeah, don't worry about the rifle's quality... Though I would wonder about warranty. I don't think they really ask about proof of purchase when submitting for warranty work, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Edit:
Found an older post by them claiming the warranty is transferable. So that's good.. Confirmation of their current policy would be a good thing though.

Last edited by marine6680; June 23, 2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old June 23, 2015, 01:25 AM   #8
BigBL87

Fwiw, my PSA AR-15 cost me probably $625 if you count mags and rear sight that I had to buy myself. Mine is the Premium M4 Upper and Classic Lower. It has an FN made barrel, don't think it is CHF though if I remember right

The wildcard for me is the Wylde chamber, kind of handy to have. I still think, though, unless the case is a REALLY nice case or there are other upgrades to the gun (like maybe a trigger) that $800 is a bit steep.
Old June 23, 2015, 06:27 AM   #9
marine6680

No way for us to know how much he paid for the rifle...

Did he get it online during a sale, or from a local shop... That will be a big difference for price.
Old June 23, 2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Ibmikey

Everyone is assuming the rifle was bought complete and not assembled from PSA parts sales which would not carry a rifle warranty. While a very good product ( I have at least ten PSA builds) for my first rifle the S&W Sport for inexpensive or a Colt 6720 Lightweight for about $799 would be my choices. Saw an ad yesterday for Colt 6920 at $899. Good deals are commonplace on new weapons in today's market. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Old June 23, 2015, 07:06 AM   #11
BumbleBug

I'm with Ibmikey, my first guess is that this is a build using PSA major parts. Still a good rifle but a bit high. Like everyone says it depends on the quality/value of the mag's & case, but few people buy a $150 case to put a standard AR build in.

FWIW..
Old June 23, 2015, 11:35 AM   #12
ryan-usaf-95

I believe this rifle was assembled from a kit. He said he had a gunsmith put it together. I dont know much about the mags and case ill have to see about them later this week when i go to check it out. I think he's asking a little too much. He said the rifle was about $1000 but he would go down to $800. He has more rifles than anyone could probably ever use (like 60+) and he's just trying to get rid of the ones he never uses. He also has a few others he said he might want to sell and i can check them out then. But, I've been doing some more research on PSA and I'm thinking about just building my own. Independence day is coming up so I'm pretty sure there will be some good sales in the next couple of weeks. I'll offer him $700 and if he doesn't take it ill just buy something else. By the way thanks for all the input i don't really know much about the value of PSA rifles
Old June 23, 2015, 12:21 PM   #13
rickyrick

PSA branded stuff is good to go.

You can get kits cheaper than your buddy's rifle from them.

The only variable is the barrel, I'm not sure on the value of the PSA branded barrel in SS and .223 Wylde it's probably a good barrel.

PSA has offerings in FN CMV barrels that are pretty nice and reasonably priced.

The bare rifle will run about 550-600 depending on the stripped lower.

Sighting systems can cost you
Old June 23, 2015, 09:44 PM   #14
blackwater1825

Go BCM. I can say for sure they are the best company. That is my opinion. I was doing a review with their 14.5 BFH (hammer forged barrel) upper. It was going to be "Filthy 14 2.0" for those of you not familiar with Filthy 14, it was a standard barrel bcm upper 16 inch and they ran something like 50,000 rounds through it and it would still shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards. I shot 24,000 rounds through mine and was gonna try for 70,000 rounds. It had over an inch of throat erosion and still shot 1.5 moa. I got it so hot during training sessions I blew gas tubes on 2 different occasions. No real world fire fight scenerio would call for such abuse but I wanted to push it as hard as I could and I did. I then had to sell it recently due to some personal financial issues some health related. I feel like such a failure because it took me almost 2 years to get to where I was with the review and I spent a lot of time training every weekend Saturday and Sunday. I am sad as hell that I could not complete the review. I was going to try and prove the hammer forged barreled uppers are worth the extra money and they do hold up better. Anyways if you want an ar that you can run hard as hell go BCM, they are the best. By the way I never broke a bolt in the 24,000 rounds I shot through it. Replaced the gas rings every 5000 rounds just to do it and kept it lubed with EWL Slip 2000. That is also the best lube in my opinion. Burn off rate is really high for a CLP type lube. Somewhere near 1000 degrees I believe.
Old June 23, 2015, 10:42 PM   #15
rickyrick

If a person can afford 24000 rounds, get whatever you want. I'm lucky to shoot 200
Old June 23, 2015, 11:05 PM   #16
marine6680

A parts rifle is a different story... That usually runs much less than a complete rifle.

PSA still has a lifetime warranty on their kits, and complete uppers and lowers.
Old June 24, 2015, 12:14 AM   #17
mxsailor803

For my money, its high. Everyone is correct concerning the case though. A good case ain't cheap!! I've built several PSA AR's and just the rifle cost about 150-200 less than what you buddy is asking. Now if you can haggle the Trijicon for a grand total of 1000 I'd jump on it. A good Trijicon can cost as much as 2 parts build AR's.
Old June 24, 2015, 03:25 AM   #18
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Go BCM. I can say for sure they are the best company. That is my opinion.
I love BCM, but there's no way you can find one in the $700-$800 price range, let alone with mags and a case. That's like someone asking about what to pay for a Camry, and somebody tells him to buy a Ferrari.

As for OP, it's a sellers market right now. Unless the case is high end, I wouldn't pay a penny over the $700 you offer. Even that is probably a bit high. It's tough though cuz he's your friend. Somewhere in the $550-$650 range is where it's be comfortable with, depending on the quality of the case(i assume it's a lower end case).

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 24, 2015, 05:02 PM   #19
odugrad

I, too, will throw in a recommendation for BCM. You might at least want to check them out. They've got standard uppers for $439. Right now they've got a promotion for a BCM CH and BCG for an extra $69. Get a set of handguards and build a lower and you're good to go. Or you can buy an inexpensive complete lower.

That would put you in the ballpark of what you're friend is asking. You won't get the case and extra mags, but mags are easy to come by and a case isn't a necessity.

Just some thoughts. Hope this helps.
Old June 24, 2015, 08:47 PM   #20
ronl

I was checking out the PSA site today, and you can get a new one for far less. They have a 1/7 mid-length upper for $289, and a blem. complete lower for $149. Free shipping on the upper. That is a really inexpensive AR. The upper includes BC and CH. All you have to do is push the pins. Only trick is that the upper deal is only good for one day.
Old June 24, 2015, 10:09 PM   #21
dcludwig

Quote:
If a person can afford 24000 rounds, get whatever you want. I'm lucky to shoot 200
Very true, that! I was planning on getting an AR-15, but the Obama panic made me move sooner that I' planned and got a S&W M/P 15 at a reasonable price before most shelves emptied and any and all AR's. But I soon realized that the price for ammo was always a major cost factor, and thankfully I held off a while until sanity returned with the prices.

Still, for me to even think of putting 24000 rounds through is only a dream and I thoroughly envy those who are able/afford to do that. Maybe some day when my lottery ticket comes through! 24000 rounds certainly validates quality.
Old June 25, 2015, 08:08 AM   #22
Ibmikey

I will not fault the BCM rifle as they are among the eliete however my experience with Daniel Defense and Colt rifles is every bit as good as with my BCM. Feeding a bunch of AR's does not allow 24,000 through a single one but i shoot a lot of ammo each week and have yet to have experience a major stoppage ( one of my Colt's broke the tip off the firing pin). I load for the AR's and try to keep multiple cans of 500 ready for a quick trip to the range to quell the disturbance caused by unhappy metal gongs, soda cans paper targets etc. my suggestion to anyone who has an AR is to keep several extra mags and 4000+ rounds of commercial ammo on the shelf for the next lean time. I have more .223 in cans than i will shoot in this lifetime but the feeling is good...oh did i mention i am still shooting Mini Mag boxes of 100 .22 LR that have $1.29 price tags! Keeping the shelf stocked allows the sport to continue through the lean times. Sorry i think i strayed from the main topic a bit..
Old June 25, 2015, 07:57 PM   #23
Bart Noir

Quote:
quick trip to the range to quell the disturbance caused by unhappy metal gongs, soda cans paper targets etc.
Thanks for the laugh!

When I go to Spokane I shoot at the rifle club right along the river. No gongs there. Is there a range or club up on the plateau where my brother and I could go shoot such? We have skimped and saved and have several gong-tags, for when they are in season.

Bart Noir
Old June 26, 2015, 09:02 AM   #24
odugrad

Daniel Defense always gets my vote but I think those are out of the OPs price range. That's why I threw in the idea of BCM.
Old June 26, 2015, 09:54 AM   #25
skizzums

I think you'll be way happier buying a complete lower from PSA and shopping whatever complete upper you want, unless you would rather build piece by piece. My step dad does not have an at yet, he wanted one. I got him a PSA stripped lower and a cmmg parts kit for fathers day. We have priced out the parts that he wants at around 700$ for the entire brand new gun, with a decent barrel. That does not include optic of course, but iron sights would only add about 50$ for a rear if that's what you want.

Either way, seem like your buddy is wanting to get what he put into the rifle, which isn't just unrealistic, but kinda rude for a used rifle. And multiple mags and a hardcase for a rifle shot 30 times, maybe.....

I have no issue with the PSA brand, and I believe it will last you a lifetime. People make a big deal about brand names, but in the end the barrel is what really makes your AR, and if you want a better one in the future, its like a 20 minute change. I have an omni at15 that has never had a malfunction in 4-5 maybe more, thousands of rounds, and cost me 500$ out the door. Alot of folks wouldn't be caught dead with it, bui It's my favorite rifle I own and ill take on anyone in terms of reliability with it.

Tags
.223 , ar-15 , magpul , psa