The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Jorah Lavin

Marlin 22 WMR failure to extract: flowing metal

I just got a second-hand Marlin lever gun in .22 W.M.R.F, history of the firearm not really known, but the shooter is known to me to be a "shoot now and then" guy, probably went through fewer than 20 rounds per year.

I cleaned the rifle and took it to the range yesterday.

After the second round, rifle started extracting only every third shell.

I stopped shooting and examined the empty brass. In the area at the "joint" where the rim meets the body of the case, there is a rounded lump that looks like someone soldered brass there.

This lump exactly matches a small half-moon gap where the extractor claw would normally grab the rim. If you look at the base of the shell, the lump is at 3 o'clock if the firing pin mark is treated as 12 o'clock.
[list=1][*]Is this repairable?[*]If so, what might have caused the problem in the first place?[/list=1]

I'm thinking that a careful weld might fix it, but also wondering if the repair might be as expensive as a new gun would be. I can't tell from looking at the rifle, but I suspect that I'd have to replace either the receiver or the barrel if welding isn't an option. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Jorah
Old October 20, 2002, 02:52 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm gonna move this to the Smithy forum.

Off the cuff, it sounds like you might need a new extractor, which shouldn't be any big deal.

Art
Old October 20, 2002, 03:14 PM   #3
Jorah Lavin

Looks like something took a bite out of the edge of the chamber

Art, thanks for the move. I've never hung out in the Smithy and had forgotten about it.

I'd be happy if it is just the extractor, but the "ramp" part where the extractor apparently rides has an uneven crescent gnawed out of it, doesn't look like it is supposed to be there. I can't imagine what could have done the damage...

-J.
Old October 20, 2002, 03:29 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joriah, the brass expands when fired into any nook or cranny available to it. It's probably possible to 'sleeve' and recut the chamber and the correctly cut the extractor notch but it may be easier just to have the barrel set back a few threads, face off the old extractor cut, deepen the chamber to the correct headspace and again recut the extractor slot. That's about the only way I know of to repair it. You might show it to your local smith and see what he thinks. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to look it over for you. George
Old October 20, 2002, 03:56 PM   #5
Jorah Lavin

Thanks, George

I'll ask around at the range. If I can't find anyone I can trust, I'll arrange to send the rifle to you for a checkup.

Given my other $$$ obligations, I suspect that the gun will just be put away for now, with a note as to what the symtoms are, so I can correct at a later date.

-Jorah