The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 9, 2002, 04:18 PM   #1
DD698

Fixed Sight Adjustment Star Model B

Dear TFL People: Shot the Star today and the groups were good for a 1943 relic. The only problem was the grps were to the rt of center. How can I move the rear[fixed] sight to the left without investing in an expensive sight pusher? Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Old October 10, 2002, 09:03 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You can try drifting the sight with a non marring punch or open the notch on the left side with a small file. George
Old October 13, 2002, 12:42 PM   #3
DD698

Star sight adjustment

George: Thanks for the info. Ill try the punch method first,or Ill try to modify my Sig sight pusher to do the job. The filing of the sight is an interesting option. THANKS
Old October 16, 2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Unkel Gilbey

Drift that puppy!

A 'NON MARRING' punch or drift is the ticket with fixed sights. Brass is best, although a plastic or nylon piece will work in a pinch. I've used (with good results) a square section of brass about 4 inches long with my hammer for a number of years.

Do not use any iron or steel drifts or punches, as they will marr the finish in an instant, and will really tick you off.

You might be surprised at how much 'Omph' you might need to actually move those sights. I actually do the drifting at the range, so I can instantly monitor the results. Just ensure that you have a completely safe and unloaded pistol before you attempt to do this operation!

You will want to be tapping on the right side of the sight (moving the sight to the left). A couple of good taps should get you to where you need to be. Too much 'omph' could possibly drift the sight right out of the dovetail slot. No worries, just replace it and drift her back to where she needs to be.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

Unkel Gilbey