The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2002, 01:31 AM   #1
Pendragon

Does anyone else have fingerprints that are extremely hard on blueing?

My first gun was a cheap BHP model with poor bluing so I though the discolorations were due to a poor finish.

Now, I had handled my Valtro and oiled it and carefully put it away, but I just took it out and noticed some discoloration in the shape of finger prints.

I looked at my 1965 S&W Model 14 and it has some of this as well.

HELP!

I now remember that I once had a pair of glasses that I turned the alloy frames a kind of green tarnish.

I guess I just have a toxic personality

Is this everyone or are some people just more acidic or something?

I now think I am going to have the Valtro hard chromed - at least the slide - I would like to carry it in the future, but I am afraid I am going to wreck the bluing.

I actually now prefer the classic look of blueing, but I dont think it is going to work for me.

Oh - the Ruger Single Six that I traded in - the bluing was totally gone from the cylinder flutes where my fingers had touched it to rotate it to unload and load about 1500-2000 rounds in about 4 trips to the range.

Advice, comments, anything?
Old October 8, 2002, 02:35 AM   #2
4570Rick

I know what you mean. I tend to leave prints too.

As far as refinishing, try Melonite. 8 times as resistant to salt spray as Hard Chrome.
Old October 8, 2002, 05:47 AM   #3
citizen

Wore (sweat, acid, whatever) off the blue on my Ruger .22; off the backstrap and grip.

Have been told by meds I have a very acidic system; even can turn gold to green. Oh, well........
Life is too short for dial-up
Old October 8, 2002, 06:31 AM   #4
Clayton Hufford

My sweat is extremely corrosive. I can rust a gun in a matter of hours.

I've had excellent results maintaining my gear with FP-10 CLP.

Also, I have used MAAS and Flitz polish to remove stains and light oxidation on blued and stainless steel equipment, with excellent results.

www.fp10.com

www.maaspolish.com

www.flitz.com

Best regards,
Clay
Old October 8, 2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Joe Demko

Yes.
Old October 8, 2002, 07:41 AM   #6
Hemicuda

My father can eat the stainless steel back off a quality watch in less than 2 months...

his answer to that is to treat the guns (and watches) with a regular cleaning with Breakfree CLP... (he just stole my sample of FP-10 to try)

the watches last a year or so, and his guns(not in constant contact) show NO wear...

FP-10 IS a bit thicker and less likely to run, than Breakfree... either way, a GOOD protective oil is necessary for you acidic types! (and can work JUST fine!)

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old October 9, 2002, 08:23 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Until this summer, it was never a problem. Looks like my body chemistry changed.

I like both Flitz and Iosso's gunbrite. Can't tell the difference. For active rust, especially when I can't get to it, (think SG mag tubes) the CorrosionX stuff works very well.
Old October 9, 2002, 10:04 AM   #8
Mick J

Brownells sells their Rust Preventive # 2 that neutralizes fingerprints on your gun. Works good.

I think it sells for about $8.00 a pint from Brownells in Iowa.
Old October 9, 2002, 12:27 PM   #9
bkb

TRY IT

Pop had an old Belgium made Browning A-5. Got it brand new. First thing he did was strip all of the oil & grease off. then he waxed it with Minn Treewax paste. Put it on and get it warm like being out in the sun on a Texas 100deg day. then rub it in just like a car. His shotgun went duck hunting in saltwater marshes , steamy east Texas woods, down poreing rain. All he did was dry it off and swab the bore and internal workings with Hoppes or Rustprufe. no problems! 40 years! it won't rust if it can't stick to it . and you can still hang on to it without all the mess of the oils . try it on a different piece of metal first . clean it , sand it , dry it , wax it , handle it , then set it down and check it next day ???
Old October 9, 2002, 01:13 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Got a buddy who has acid hands. Bad for guns. Wore off the blue from several guns just handling them (over the course of a month). As for me, I'm dry skinned and have to use lotion just to keep my hands from cracking.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:52 PM   #11
rg1

If you have a job in a ball bearing factory, only certain employees who have their skin oils and sweat tested, can handle bearings with bare hands. I saw a bearing that came from an airplane prop shaft that failed due to the fingerprint corrosion from someone who handled it.
I've never had that problem but if my nephew handles my rifles I have to wipe them down soon or his fingerprints will start rust. I found this out on one of my shotguns.
Old October 10, 2002, 07:24 AM   #12
Clayton Hufford

Corrosion-X is great!

www.corrosionx.com

Regards,
Clayton
Old October 10, 2002, 10:52 PM   #13
BMWGS80

Still hace a Colt Diamondback with my thumb print on it . I preserved it on purpose. I have since then polished all of my blued guns with paste wax. I learned this from a retired Nashville Policeman. His S&W md.10 still looks new after 20 years in the holster and no telling how many lrd down the barrel. OF course that was 20 years early in the last century. His wife gave me that gun after we sent him on. It is a very prized remeberance.

Cheers,

ts