The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2001, 08:29 PM   #1
George Carlson

Any .223 cast bullet shooters??

I decided to try my Savage .223 Tactical with cast bullets, but I'm having trouble finding any up-to-date loading data. My .222 Sako will shoot 1 1/4" with 20gr BLc2. There are 4 bullet weights to try, and I'm wondering if 22 cast pills are similar to.30 cal. Meaning most loads that shoot good in one .30 cal usually do as well in a similar sized case. Geo
Old July 18, 2001, 08:23 AM   #2
nedfig

My Lyman manual shows some loads for cast bullets. I'll look tonight.
Old July 18, 2001, 07:00 PM   #3
George Carlson

I've gone through the Lyman, RCBS, and NRA plus most back issues of the Handloader + their annual's still not a lot on .223 cast bullet shooting. I just thought maybe someone on the forum has been their and done that!!
Old July 18, 2001, 09:17 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

As a matter of fact i've got some out in the shop that were loaded years ago by myself or my father...We shot them in a Remington 788 or a contender in 223...Seems like we used some type pistol powder to load them...Maybe Unique...loads came from Lyman manual....Loads were not very powerful..maybe like 22 hornet...shot a few crows with them...they were not as devastating as jacketed as you may expect..just sort of knocked them over in their tracks...if nedfig doesn't beat me to it i'll try to get some data...if i drag my feet email me....thanks....Dick
Old July 19, 2001, 08:03 AM   #5
nedfig

I forgot to bring it with me, but Lyman show MAX loads of @ 8 grains of Unique, Green Dot, etc. I don't remember the exact numbers. I try to remember it tomorrow.
Old July 19, 2001, 08:26 AM   #6
MADISON

Jacketed and Cast bullet information

When I was working with SQUIB LOADS Hornady told me that Jacketed and Cast bullet loading was interchangable BUT, Cast bullets cause more pressure so you CAN NOT go the other way.