The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1
jdscholer

22 BR Remington

I started a thread about this rifle and cartridge in the rifle forum, hoping to find other members familiar with it. Scorch responded, and he ain't chopped liver, but so far he's the only one. Thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any experience with it - or even similar.

This rifle is putting me through my paces as far as forming cartridges that fit it's very close to minimum tolerance chamber. I think I've got most of the problems whipped but so far haven't shot groups anywhere as good as I'd expect from this rifle.

My rifle is a Remington 40X Light Varminter of seventies vintage. It was built in the Remington Custom Shop, and I understand they were generally made to someone's order. I believe the barrel is Remington, not a different maker. (20" long with 1 in 14 twist).

I realize this was never a real common round, but I'm hoping to find folks who can help me out. jd
Old December 2, 2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Bart B.

Have you checked the origin of the rifling for excessive erosion? Its barrel may be shot out.

I'd epoxy bed the receiver if it's not already done. That helps a lot.

Torque its front and back stock screws to 40 in-lbs but leave the middle one a bit loose. Then ensure the barrel's totaly free floating with at least 1/16" clearance all the way around it.
Old December 2, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
jdscholer

Quote:
Have you checked the origin of the rifling for excessive erosion? Its barrel may be shot out.
Until I got it, I don't think this rifle was fired much at all. The blue on the bolt lugs didn't even show wear. The hundred or so rounds I've fired in it, may be more than it was shot in it's previous life.

Barrel is free floating, but more like .020" not 1/16. I couldn't imagine this stiff little barrel whipping that much, but maybe I oughta give it a little more clearance. I still need to bed the action, and that would be a good time to kill both birds.

Thanks for your advice, and keep it coming. I'm just getting started with this thing. jd
Old December 2, 2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Bart B.

It's not the barrel bending. It's the fore end bending from downward force from the shooter on a bagged rifle atop a bench. Unless it's shot free recoil.
Old December 2, 2014, 08:52 PM   #5
jdscholer

I'm fairly free-coil with it. Pretty much orient my eye with minimum face pressure, support trigger hand on rear bag.

I've got a bipod that I haven't tried yet. The forend is nice and wide, and flat bottomed.

Here's my basic set-up. I know it's not pretty, but it's stable, and I frequently shoot 1/2 MOA with a couple of rifles that have no business shooting that good. jd

Old December 3, 2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Longshot4

I like what I have seen. I believe the float of the barrel can be checked with a folded match pack. The card board should be able to slide between the barrel and for arm all the way back to the action. I would be surprised to find the bedding and barrel float not proper on a custom 40X. Since the stock isn't laminated do you have a shim to prevent the forearm form warping? Perhaps the chamber needs to be checked for size. Did you receive dies and loads with the rifle? Check out accurateshooter.com

Last edited by Longshot4; December 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old December 3, 2014, 11:26 AM   #7
jdscholer

The stock actually was warped a smidge, but I carefully cleared and centered it without having to get too wild about it. I then resealed it to hopefully prevent future warping.

The stock was actually pretty "no frills". Fits the action well, but no sign of glass bedding. And you can see in this pic where a previous owner did a fine job of installing this freakin piece of pine as a sling stud reinforcement.

I cleared that mess out of there, and will be installing a rail underneath.

I took a cast of the chamber and found that chamber dimensions are extremely tight. I've had to get a small base 308 die to size the case body for clearance. Also turned the case necks thinner for an over all diameter of .244".
On top of that, the throat from case to lands is very short also.

I think I've finally got everything figured out for loading a nice fitting cartridge, and my last couple of groups showed good function and fit.

I got a pretty smoking deal on this rifle from a tattoo shop that took it in on trade. It would be my guess that some kid inherited it from his dad or granddad, and had no clue as to what he even had. We have verified that it's not on the "hot list", but I have no history or reloading accessories, or anything else. For what I'm in it for, I can afford to spend some money getting it to shoot, or if worst case scenario -- rebarrel.

I'm actually having fun with what I'm having to do, and learning as I go. I've been reloading for 40 years, but this thing is making me realize how little I actually know. jd
Old December 3, 2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Hunter2678

Love those old 40x setups with the stainless barrels and simple stocks...if you ever sell it look me up. If it were me and the barrel is determined to be toast re barrel that beauty in 6BR with an 8 or 10 twist and you'll fall in love all over again...Definitely bed that action and hog out the barrel channel until you can run a dollar bill freely from forend to the front of your bedding/recoil lug area.