The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
BOWENA

Marlin 336, what's the Bullseye

Recently bought a Marlin 336, 30-30. On the under side of the Stock there is a small round plastic Bullseye. Its near where you might expect to attach a rear sling swivel. Is that a plug to cover a pre drilled hole, or does it have some other use? Down loaded a manual, it calls this a bullseye, does not appear to have any function, just looks pretty!
Old June 2, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Scorch

The "bullseye" is a Marlin trademark. You will find it on every older Marlin made, but not the newer ones. I have heard or read that it is a tribute to the rifle picked by Annie Oakley.

Last edited by Scorch; June 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
4570 ruger#1

bullseye

i think it means that the stock is walnut,my 336a is birch and it doesn't have one
Old June 2, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4
GunCat

See #12: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/CustomerSupport/faq.asp

12. What is the small round black and white dot on the bottom of my Marlin stock?

This is the Marlin "Bullseye". This trademark has been used since 1922 on all Marlin walnut buttstocks. Please note that this is not a suitable place to install a swivel for you firearm. Swivels should be mounted approximately 2 inches from the toe of the butt.
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old June 2, 2010, 09:58 PM   #5
teeroux

Quote:
Please note that this is not a suitable place to install a swivel for you firearm.
LOL Worked so far for me.
Old June 3, 2010, 02:27 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gun Cat is right, and IIRC, Marlin says that the "Bullseye" is not for mounting sling swivels. I know we never used it that way. Could a swivel be mounted through the Bullseye? Sure, but it is not the best place.

Jim
Old June 3, 2010, 03:04 PM   #7
teeroux

I've carried my rifle slung through all manner of brush and bryars with no ill effect.

One spot of wood on the stock is as good as the other for mounting sling studs. Where I wanted the stud was where the bullseys was, so it was drilled out.
Old June 5, 2010, 05:51 PM   #8
hivel37

It was explained to me years ago that the bullseye was installed to make Marlin rifles stand out and easily recognized in the gun racks of retail shops.

I have a model 93 that's too old to qualify for a bullseye.
Old June 8, 2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Legionnaire

I have a real nice straight-stocked 336 on which a previous owner mounted a sling swivel through the bullseye.
Old June 8, 2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Pahoo

teeroux
You certainly have a right to do whatever you wish on your Marlin. However, I would never remove the Bullseye and replace it with a stud. Nor would I ever advise anyone else to do so. I often see studs installed in a poor locations. Now, I'm not going to use the word, normal but instead list the the prefered or usual place to install a stud, is as GunCat has listed. I have even replaced missing Bullseyes and relocated the studs to their "prefered" location.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 8, 2010, 06:41 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I don't put studs closer than three inches from the butt . It's not a matter of personal preference . I don't want to drill a hole anywhere near that bottom buttplate screw , if you intersect the alignment of the two holes ( stud & buttplate ) it doesn't take much of a bump to break the heel right off . I have repaired several where the stud was too close to the butt .
Old June 8, 2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Pahoo

Quote:
It's not a matter of personal preference . I don't want to drill a hole anywhere near that bottom buttplate screw , if you intersect the alignment of the two holes ( stud & buttplate ) it doesn't take much of a bump to break the heel right off
I think you meant to say; the toe. Your point is well made especially when you have a thick rubber recoil pad that's about an inch thick and in cases like this and for the reasons you listed, it's hard to maintain the 2" measurement. The 2" is what is listed on the Uncle Mike's instructions. If I can, I try to stick to the 2" but if I don't want to and for the reasons you mentioned, I don't. However, I have seen them in the 4" to 5" range and you'd have to admit that it might be a bit extreme. Also, most of the time, there is no need for a sling stud at all, like target rifles. They can get in the way and you could damage the stock if you accidently bump the stud. In cases like this, I just remove the studs and install a black button flush plug, that I get at ACE hardware.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2010, 09:34 AM   #13
PetahW

A sling eye through a Marlin bullseye is a lot like a Mercedes tri-star emblem with a light kit...........

Tags
bullseye , marlin 336