The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2000, 03:10 PM   #1
tstr

I'm wondering if it is economically worth it for me to invest in shotshell reloading equipment. I'll probably only average between 50 to 100 shells a month. How much can I save reloading my own over just buying cheapy ammo in the store?

Don
Old June 2, 2000, 08:06 PM   #2
Tom Matiska

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tstr:
....How much can I save reloading my own over just buying cheapy ammo in the store?

Don
[/quote]

I don't know anyone who has ever saved money reloading. Everybody I know who expected to spend less wound up shooting more. You may expect to easily shoot two or three times as much for the same money.

Tom
Old June 3, 2000, 08:56 AM   #3
Bill Hebert

Tstr - I'm in the same boat - my son loves to shoot skeet and sporting clays. A Lee reloader for 20 gauge can be had for less than $40. I was reading the Winchester reloading pamphlet which said you can only reliably reload hulls 3X before the hull will not take a firm crimp. I can buy upland loads for $4.50 at Wally World. I just don't see how I could break even reloading 20 guage for the amount we shoot. My 2c's.
Old June 3, 2000, 10:19 AM   #4
TaxPhd

For 50-100 shotgun shells a month, you probably should pass on reloading.

As was pointed out, "promotional" type shells can be had very cheap at places like Wal-Mart. I have bought them in quantity for approx. $3/box. Be advised, however, that these are very low quality shells. Sure, they go "Bang" when you pull the trigger, but the shot used is very soft, leading to very poor patterns. If you are trying to compare reloading to the purchase of these types of shells, just buy them.

However, if you are interested in creating high quality shells, like Win. AA's, using high antimony hard shot, and first class components, and you will shoot more than 50-100 a month, reloading is probably the way to go.
Old June 3, 2000, 06:36 PM   #5
Big Bunny

An little experiment for you...

.."pull" a Wally World cartridge and examine the contents. The poor "seconds" shot quality may astound you...yes even in famous brands. The powder and wad may not be far behind this "shocku" either .

'WELL...Yer gets whats yer pay fur'....

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old June 3, 2000, 09:20 PM   #6
PJR

I use the best components I can buy and don't load my hulls too many times. I figure I save about about 20 per cent on 12 gauge or about a $1.00 per box against bulk purchased target loads of comparable quality. I have about $400.00 invested in my loader, bushings, scale, and manual, therefore the break even point is 10,000 rounds. The real savings come when you start loading the smaller gauges particularly 28 gauge where savings can run as high as 50 per cent.