The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2015, 12:05 PM   #1
straight-shooter

Busy day off

Finally got a day off and figured I'd get up early and take advantage of it. I pulled out the MP 359-640 Mold using the large hollow point pins and went at it.

I casted exactly 488 bullets and immediately carried them over onto the powder coating table. Busy morning but I completely enjoyed the time outside and the fruits of my labor.

Old August 30, 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Beagle333

Nice!!! 'No zombies in your neighborhood for at least a week!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 30, 2015, 03:18 PM   #3
straight-shooter

There's a few neighbors in the neighborhood that you would have to look real close to know the difference!
Old August 30, 2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Beagle333

I didn't powdercoat any today. It rained about 3" last night with the leftovers from that tropical thing and so the shed was pretty flooded. I just lubed mine today with the trusty ol' Lyman 45.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 31, 2015, 05:45 AM   #5
stubbicatt

Beagle333, I've been following your postings here on powder coating. It seems a neat innovation, but much more labor intensive than simply greasing the bullets in a lubrisizer. Myself I shoot mostly old black powder cartridges, or pistol cartridges, where velocities are comparatively low, and hard alloys for higher velocity projectiles, as was the advice at least 30 years ago, are not necessary. Heck, I've even shot 30-1 through 357 magnum rifle, no signs of leading and as accurate as I can shoot.

Other than a subjective personal satisfaction from making green bullets, which is perfectly legitimate, is there a measurable performance improvement from shooting powder coated bullets?
Old August 31, 2015, 03:18 PM   #6
straight-shooter

I'm sold on it because of much less smoke for indoor ranges and faster followup shots because of better visibility. Also after a lengthy shooting session the gun is soooo much easier to clean without all the black soot and such and the barrel only requires a couple of swipes with a Hoppes 9 patch and a followup oil patch.

I also find that I don't have to be so precise with alloys whether it be light loads or full house magnum loads with coated bullets. It give me the opportunity to use a lot more of my soft lead which I have literally a ton of.

I find the storage of the bullets before they get loaded up is much better since they won't stick together in the box like I had before too.

A bit more labor intensive yes but call me crazy because I absolutely enjoy the work outdoors almost as much as shooting them.
Old August 31, 2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Beagle333

Quote:
Other than a subjective personal satisfaction from making green bullets, which is perfectly legitimate, is there a measurable performance improvement from shooting powder coated bullets?
Performance improvement? Nope. It's pretty much what Straight-shooter said. It keeps the barrel and the dies cleaner and it lets me shoot range scrap without alloying it, but it doesn't shoot straighter or faster. And you are correct..... lubesizing is faster.
I do love the PC, but I still use lube sometimes as well. I have uses for both.

(and the colors are cool too. )
Have a Colt and a smile.