The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 2, 2012, 06:13 PM   #26
pturner67

swag, look at the Magpul rear sight (mbus)
Old October 3, 2012, 07:23 AM   #27
Crow Hunter

Quote:
The Vortex Strikefire is much bigger than the Bushnell. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a larger vs smaller red dot?

I would think the larger one would be faster to use but don't know what other differences would be.
In my experience this is something people get wrapped around the axle about for no reason. (Or they have not ever actually looked/used one)

I have directly compared a Aimpoint H1 (4 MOA dot) to a Aimpoint M4s (2 MOA dot) side by side.

It was virtually indistiguishable to the naked eye. It actually looked like the H1 had one extra brightness setting in very bright sunlight, which to me was an advantage.

Remember, the dot isn't "real". Unlike traditional magnified optics there isn't a physical reticle there. It is the reflection of a LED on an angled lense. You can see through it. It won't block your vision, you can turn it down to the point that it is barely visible (and thereby make it "visually smaller" and sight it in that way. The brightness of your surroundings has a HUGE effect on the dots apparent size and visibility. That is one of the benefits of the Aimpoint, it is nearly overpoweringly bright, even in direct noontime sunlight. Some of the "lesser" brands will almost be invisible in very bright sunlight. This is another reason why a 4 MOA sight might wind up being better, depending on the manufacturer and LED tolerances.

While in theory a 4 MOA dot will be "less accurate" than a 2 MOA dot at the same range because it covers more area, and therefore will be less "precise". How much of a difference can you really visually see between a 2" circle and a 4" circle at 100 yards with your naked eye?

Remember, it isn't a precision sight. It is meant for fast acquisition/low light use. If you are looking for precision, go with a magnified optic. (Or you keep fixed BUIS and just drop your view a tad and look through your iron sights, which you can set up to be much more precise than a red dot)

The biggest advantage to me with the smaller dot is it will use less power (assuming equal LED technology and power management circuitry) so you will get better battery life.

Good luck.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:49 AM   #28
2damnold4this

Where are your favorite places to mount reflex sights on flat top receivers? Do you mount them as close to the rear of the rifle as possible, as far forward as possible or somewhere en between? What are the advantages of the different mounting positions?
Old October 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #29
Crow Hunter

Personally I like mounting them further back closer to the rear sight.

I do this for weight distribution though, not for any perceived advantage.

The further back it is the more head movement you can have while still being able to see the dot. The further forward, the less movement you will be able to accomodate before the dot is no longer visible but the easier you can see "around" the sight.

If you are planning on using a magnifier, you pretty much have to keep it up close to the front of the receiver to give clearance.

Good luck.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:00 AM   #30
bamaranger

carry handle

There is a sight and mouint that mounts to the handguard, but puts the sight itself out in front of the handguard, and low enough to supposedly get a weld.

I think it is called the "Railway" and is made by C-more, but I am not sure.

I have looked and read a good bit on the PA but have not owned one.
The Bushnell seems the same money, from a big supplier. I dunno.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:53 AM   #31
gpjoe

I have a Bushnell TRS25 and a Vortex Strikefire. I much prefer the Strikefire and I am more accurate with it. It may be the green dot on the Strikefire, as it seems to have little to no "bloom" vs the TRS25, which is not as crisp a dot as the Strikefire.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:07 PM   #32
checkmyswag

Another ^vote^ for the strikefire.

I still haven't decided, but I do like the larger size of the strikefire if I'm not mounting on the carry handle.