The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
dogfood

Shotgun barrel work ... threading, extended choke tube, etc.

I've got a Winchester Defender 1300 with a cylinder bore barrel. It throws huge patterns, even for a cylinder bore (not sure I can even call them "patterns"). For the action games I shoot ... particularly bowling pin ... I need some choke.

Now the barrel will need to be shortened to remove the extra hole (put in by me) for a rifle sight that was added years ago. Since the barrel is 22" as it stands, shortening it by roughly 2" will still keep us legal. Shortening the barrel, threading for tubes and adding a new bead is probably not that big of a job for a competent 'smith.

However, what I really want is a longer barrel ... which are not made for 8-shot 1300's. Therefore, I'm thinking extended choke tube - but even the extended tubes don't appear to extend more than about 2". Given that this barrel will need to be cut down to 20" (to remove the front sight hole), adding a conventional extended tube will only get me back to 22" overall. I'd really like to add another 2" - meaning a tube that extends a total of 4".

Anybody know where I can get one ... or someone who makes choke tubes in long lengths at a decent price ... or a gunsmith who could do the whole package? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
dogfood
Old July 31, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
noyes

Briley Barrel Extensions - Available in 4" and 6"

http://www.briley.com/brileybarrelex...lein4and6.aspx
Old July 31, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3
smoakingun

why does the extra hole make it necessary to cut the barrel?
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old July 31, 2010, 03:00 PM   #4
dogfood

I had looked at the Briley system earlier ... and that would certainly fill the bill. However, adding up the cost of the extension, a Briley choke tube, threading the barrel, new bead, etc. - well, I'm at $295 plus shipping. I'm sure they do excellent work, but that's a bit more than I wanted to put into the barrel.

And, no, I guess I don't really need to have the barrel cut down. I just figured that if I was going to spend the $ to get it threaded, and I wanted a new (larger) bead anyway ... I might as well spend a bit more to make it look nicer. But, functionally, the extra screw hole wouldn't hurt anything.

dogfood
Old July 31, 2010, 09:41 PM   #5
GunCat

You can probably have screw in choke tubes installed (along with a new bead), the hole you drilled for the sight may not be an issue at all. More info sent via PM.
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988