The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2008, 01:03 AM   #1
ISC

recycling milsurp blank ammo

with the high price of ammo and components a friend and I are experimenting with recycling military blank ammo. It started off as just scrapping the unfired primers out of the blanks after cutting them open and pouring out the powder. Then my buddy got the idea of using his electric case trimmer to trim the case to the right length to seat a bullet in. It looks like it will work, but we haven't tried firing one yet.

I'm not worried about the 762x51, the cases look identical after trimming. The 5.56x45 blanks have some sort of marks on the case that makes it look different and I will definately be more cautious about firing them.

I wish there was something I could do with the powder, but my research seems to indicate that it's unsafe to reload any live ammo with that powder. I'll just dump it I guess.

I wish I could just find someone to trade the blanks to for live ammo. Recycling it is alot of work.
Old October 13, 2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Doug Bowser

Blank brass can be dangerous

I would never use blank brass to reload full loads in any military caliber. Most of the time blank brass is not up to the standards of regular brass. I saw a fellow in New York lose an eye using .30-06 M1909 brass mfg in 1957. Hev loaded full loads and the case split at the head and took the wood off his rifle.

Doug
Old October 13, 2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Do not use the brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 13, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4
kraigwy

Blank ammo brass is junk, not able to withstand normal presures. I've seen them split just being fired as blanks.

Besides holding the components together, brass works as a gasket to seal the chamber of the firearm. Blank brass wont do that. Therefor the gas is likey to go somewhere besides down the barrel, you wont like that.

What I have done, is put them in a trim die, cut them to link with a hack saw and used them for turn in brass when I was shooting for the guard. Thats all they are worth, junk.

If you have a bunch, sell them to a scrap dealer and take that money and buy quality brass.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 13, 2008, 12:16 PM   #5
ISC

everyone agrees that the primers are OK to use though, right?
Old October 13, 2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

They should be. As far as I know, primers in blank cartridges are the same as for standard ball cartridges.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 14, 2008, 09:50 PM   #7
flutedchamber

Wouldn't the military rounds have crimped in primers...which wouldn't exactly do good things to the primer when you try to force it past the crimp.