The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 21, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Puntmefar

any one tryed Quarter test

A buddy of mine asked me if i ever tryed a quarter test with my gun. what he was refering to is placing a quarter on the slide of your gun right behind the foresight than dry fire the weapon if the quarter falls than you need to smothe up your pull if it repeatly stays in place than you have a good pull. im wandering if any one has tryed this or do you have another method you personally prefer eg.....dot on the wall
Old March 21, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
545days

In the Army, we usually did this with dimes, placed on the barrel of M16's, behind the front site. The intent was to readily demonstrate poor trigger pulls.
Old March 21, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
GM1967

545days is right, in the Army it was called the "dime/washer exercise", where you placed a dime on the barrel of the M16, forward of the front sight, and then tried to pull the trigger without the dime falling off, either from the trigger pull or the hammer striking the firing pin. It's a good exercise for seeing if you are squeezing the trigger properly
Old March 21, 2010, 09:09 PM   #4
eric75

If there is a flat spot where you put it (as with many pistols), I think the test is way too easy.
I just look for motion in the sight picture when dry firing. That will give better feedback about the cause of the problem. Practice will make the motion get smaller.
It may still work with the rifle, but that also seems a little too easy to get a lot of training mileage out of it. Good for instructing first time shooters though.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:07 AM   #5
rkba_net

I usually dry-fire my Glock by putting a quarter on the front sight.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Maximus856

We do it with the m9, single action isn't too hard but trying to do it with double action isn't the easiest thing in the world. Anyone who's handled fired the M9 knows that 1) no 9mm has the same trigger pull as another, and 2) it's a pain in the butt no matter what when it comes to D/A pull on them.

-Max.
Old March 22, 2010, 08:31 AM   #7
The Great Mahoo

I've done it before; how useful it is really depends on the gun. On most auto's, the slide is wide enough you really can't lose. On many revolvers, the top is milled flat giving the same result. Still, it can be neat to see.

Watching the sight picture is still a better exercise, IMO.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:12 PM   #8
MauiDoc

I've done it--it helps. For a real challenge (or if you have a wide flat slide) stand a nickel on edge and do it that way! The wall exercise helps also. So does shooting a lot!!
Old March 22, 2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Lunicy

I glued mine on.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #10
qcpunk

HAHAHA Oh Lunicy, thank you, I needed that.

It's not such an effective drill on the XD, damn slide is nearly a mile wide. But as others have said, it all depends on the shape of your slide/barrel. Is there any reason why you couldn't combine the quarter drill and movement/picture drill? They are both attempting to do the exact same thing, and in combination, it may proved more feedback. Thoughts?
Old March 23, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
The Great Mahoo

You could try a combination of various drills. However, a quarter on the slide/barrel will interfere with the sight picture, eclipsing view of the front sight on most handguns.

I'll have to try this wall test; I don't know that I ever have.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:40 AM   #12
southernmaninla

learned that in the Army called it dime washer exercise.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Jamesaritchie

Sure, though I most often use a dime. It's a good test.

If you want some real fun, try it with a double action revolver.