The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 1999, 11:16 PM   #1
fubsy

Does anyone know were I can find information on powder that dosent present a large flash signature.....I know there was a book out but I cant remember who authored or the title......can anyone help?
Old June 15, 1999, 12:36 PM   #2
Cheapo

Unique, WAP (discontinued by Olin/Win), and 231 have tended to be lower-flash for me.

Haven't yet tested Power Pistol, but I've heard it is not low flash. 296 and H110 IME, and 2400 and Blue Dot according to reports I've heard, are light-up-the-landscape powders.

Some of the handgun rags in the late 1980s/early 1990s published some articles with limited handload and even factory load testing and lots of photos. Sorry, but I don't have 'em around any more...

Cheapo
Still looking for an evening to test the "close one eye on firing" technique. See the "night vision" thread, probably in Handguns & Pistolcraft.
Old June 15, 1999, 02:32 PM   #3
Paul B.

Fubsy. You didn't say whether for rifle or handgun. Here's one not to use in rifles.
H-335. In a 20 in barreled .308 Win. at high noon in the Nevada desert, the fireball is exremely visable. Muzzle blast is very loud, even with ear protection. At night, my buddy estimated it at 3 to 4 feet in diameter. I gorget the load, but it was near max for a 150 gr. bullet.
Strange thing is it doen't seem to do that in a .358 Win.
Paul B.
Old June 16, 1999, 02:19 AM   #4
fubsy

tks cheapo, Ill check those powders out......

Paul b,
I forgot to mention its for rifles and Id pursure some pistol information as well.....since I cant put the vortec on the ar and it has the sort 16" barrel--I though Id experiment a little..........I also want to try it with the m1garand and see how that works as well.....tks for the info...fubsy.
Old June 16, 1999, 10:29 AM   #5
Don Morgan

Try any of the Reloading Manuals. I find that Lyman 47th, and Hornady are about the best for explanations.
Old June 16, 1999, 02:49 PM   #6
JerryM

An article I recently read indicated that for handguns that were tested, I don't remember the cal., that VihtaVouri 3n37 was the lowest flash of those tested, including Alliant, Accurate Arms,and one or two others. The VV powders are "pricy" and not very widespread.
Old June 17, 1999, 01:39 AM   #7
Cheapo

Well, for rifle I have less of an idea, for sure. Since calcium carbonate (AKA chalk) was the flash deterrent that clogged up the M16 before the PIP gave us the -A1 with its forward assist, I would suggest...

Okay, was the M193 ball developed with IMR extruded powder and then they switched to a Ball(tm) powder for faster production...then they added up to 3 percent calcium carbonate...?

Yeah, try Ball powders first. Maybe Win 748. But I really don't know if it even *has* the flash deterrent.

This is really a good question! I don't know if the military's use of flash hiders reduces the need for flash deterrent, but there is the Jeff Bartlett source for USGI surplus rifle powders... www.gibrass.com IIRC.