The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 7, 2014, 04:33 PM   #51
loknload

Didn't need a reason,turned 21 at the time and it was legal for me to do it.
I did open carry my Ruger 357 Blackhawk in the day and also carried using a hunters permit at 18. The Ruger was carried strictly for hunting purposes though.
Old September 7, 2014, 06:21 PM   #52
4thPoint

Yep, same reason I had for getting my Georgia license.

Why would something so ordinary require any sort of significant reason or incident? Do we ask what incident prompted you to get a driver's license?
Old September 8, 2014, 02:32 PM   #53
P5 Guy

Moved

Moved from New Jersey where even buying a gun was a PITA.
In the GunShine State it is a bit expensive but paying for 'privilege' of self defense beats the stuffing out of the hoops one needs to go thru where I used to live.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:04 PM   #54
Taiin

Newbie here adding in my reason.

I'm not unfamiliar with firearms. With two parents in the military, you can guess I was hands on as soon as they felt I was responsible enough. Some great memories were at an old gun shop owned by a family friend (no longer in business, none of the youngest generation wanted the store) burning through ammunition with my father.

I'm a young adult now, and never really bothered to think about a concealed carry permit. I don't exactly have a lot of disposable income, so the cost of the class, permit, my first handgun, accessories, etc. is enormous for me. But I got a little inspiration here recently. Everyday I hit the roads to exercise (usually a fast walk because I am flabby, but I do jog occationally) for 4-5 miles.

I am quite rural, but the neighbors are good people, they look out for you. Doesn't make the bears any less dangerous! I crossed paths with a bear who didn't immediately move on, a big one that I am sure someone would just love to put in the freezer! I stood my ground as he stood up, huffed, paced a few steps, then finally decided to go the other way. I had a can of bearspray, but that can only do so much. At least it wasn't a mother with cubs, or a hungry one. Though I do prefer bears over mountain lions any day, I'd rather not be on the menu for anything.

I'm signed up for a CPL class to get the ball rolling on a concealed carry permit. I got my paws on some different Walthers to try out, and my new PPQ M2 9mm is en route to an FFL dealer. I've always loved the feel of a Walther compared to GLOCK, Kahr, Sig Sauer, etc. which is why I went with one. No use in dropping that kind of money unless it is something I'll be happy using.

Once I have the permit, I guess I will be trying out holsters that can work with my workout cloths!
Old September 11, 2014, 03:34 PM   #55
bikerbill

It wasn't getting a permit that was prompted by this incident, it was why I got my first gun, tho. We lived in a suburb of San Francisco maybe 25 years ago. I'd never owned a gun; my bedside arsenal for SD was an aluminum bat and a K-bar.

Then a man was murdered in the house behind ours. It was a domestic incident, but it scared both of us. I went out and got a Taurus 85 and started shooting at a nearby range. Then I upped the ante and got a Mossberg .12guage. Hired an offduty police trainer to spend a few hours showing us how to most effectively use it, but the recoil was just too stout for my wife and we wound up selling it a few years later.

I got my CHL in July 2004, the legally required six months after we moved to Texas. Trying for a permit in the Bay Area would have been a waste of time, so I didn't try. Wouldn't go back to CA for a free house on the beach in Malibu.
Old September 12, 2014, 02:18 PM   #56
BigBL87

Haven't gotten a CCW permit yet, but here in IL you have to get a FOID card to own a firearm, so kinda similar to a permit. What prompted me was buying my own house and starting work in corrections. With the individuals that I work with it made me more comfortable to be armed at home, and now that I own my house and have the space to store what I might buy, it seemed like a good time to do it.