The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old February 2, 2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Backdoor gun contol

I received the following email earlier today. Not taking it at face value, I called Senator Webb's office to vet it. It is legit. Call your representatives to let them know you oppose it.
Denny

Quote:
Senate Democrats are planning to execute a sneak attack on gun rights as soon as TODAY!

Their plan is to sneak Carolyn McCarthy's Magazine Ban into law as an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration Bill, a routine piece of generally non-controversial legislation.

And they hope YOU won't notice.

That's why you and I need to make our voices heard RIGHT NOW!

We need to let them know we're watching them like a hawk!

Please call Sen. Jim Webb at (202) 224-4024 and Sen. Mark Warner at (202) 224-2023.

Make sure they know about this scheme and that they must oppose Carolyn McCarthy's Magazine Ban every step of the way whether it's attached as an amendment or not.

And make sure they know you're watching.

Thanks for taking action,

Dudley Brown
Executive Director
National Association for Gun Rights
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Rob228

This is interesting, as this is the same bill that the health care repeal is supposed to get attached to.
Rob228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Don P

Message sent and hope its not too late.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Don P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
MLeake

Messages sent...

... to Senators Chambliss and Isakson of GA.

Hope others are following suit in their states.

Regards,

M
MLeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011, 09:07 AM   #5
thallub

How very strange that none of the credible pro-gun organizations have any information on a magazine ban being attached to the FAA funding bill or any other bill. i checked the GOA, NRA, and JFPO this morning-nothing.

This tidbit of mis- information is brought to you by Dudley Brown and his NAGR: Old Dudley is well known for yelling wolf when there are no wolves anywhere around. Beware of any guy who has a big read DONATE NOW sign on his organizations home page.

Old Dudley would like for you to believe that some anti-gun senator can "sneak" gun contrrol legislation onto legislation without it being voted on. This is not true. All amendments have to be voted on.

The stand alone senate bill is S. 32 and it was proposed by US senator Lautenberg of NJ. The bill presently has 10 co-sponsors.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...ativeData.php|

BTW: i really do wish folks would vet this kind of stuff before posting. It is really not hard to do.
thallub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011, 04:27 PM   #6
MLeake

thallub... Denny Hansen got confirmation from Senator Webb's office (Virginia) that this piece of legislation did, in fact, exist.

You don't consider that "vetting?"

I'd think it would get a more accurate answer than would consultation of gun websites...
MLeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011, 06:20 PM   #7
thallub

Quote:
thallub... Denny Hansen got confirmation from Senator Webb's office (Virginia) that this piece of legislation did, in fact, exist.
Yes, it does exist. It is called S. 32 and is not attached to anything.
Old February 4, 2011, 06:23 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

A quick rundown of some of the things your Federal government is chewing over early this year. (from a quick search on THOMAS at the Library of Congress http://thomas.loc.gov/ ).

[112nd] S.35 : Gun Show Background Check Act of 2011
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] (introduced 1/25/2011)
Cosponsors (11)
Committees: Senate Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 1/25/2011 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

[112nd] H.R.496 : To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the carrying of a firearm near a place where a senior Federal official is holding an official public event or carrying out an official or representational duty, or where any person is campaigning for Federal elective office.
Sponsor: Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] (introduced 1/26/2011)
Cosponsors (4)
Committees: House Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 1/26/2011 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

S.34 : Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2011
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] (introduced 1/25/2011) Cosponsors (10)
Committees: Senate Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 1/25/2011 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
(This one hands the US Attorney General an awful lot of power based on "suspicion" and "reasonable belief" as opposed to evidence).

Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act
In the House: H. R. 308
In the Senate: S.32.IS

Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011
S.176.IS
Old February 4, 2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Black_Sheep

I called the offices of our Minnesota Senators (Franken and Klobachar) but it probably won't do any good as they are both extremely liberal and anti-gun...
Old February 4, 2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Dwb_NAGR

GOA chimes in.....

My good friends at Gun Owners of America confirm it....

http://gunowners.org/a020411.htm
Dwb_NAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011, 06:42 PM   #11
LDSGJA

I don't even bother to call Boxer or Feinstien on anything.
LDSGJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Nnobby45

Quote:
112nd] H.R.496 : To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the carrying of a firearm near a place where a senior Federal official is holding an official public event or carrying out an official or representational duty, or where any person is campaigning for Federal elective office.
I'd express my opinion with re: to how I feel about the people being disarmed by their own legislators who are visiting the people on their own home ground---but I'd be hearing moderator footsteps. Such a law would certainly have worked in Arizona, ehh?
Nnobby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Don P

Does anyone know the outcome of the bill. Did the amendment get on the bill? Has the bill been voted on yet? If so did it pass?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Don P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2011, 01:56 AM   #14
40s-and-wfan

Messages Sent:

To Senators Tester and Baucus of Montana, both Democrats. Let's hope the message did me some good with the two of them.

Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
-John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)
40s-and-wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Queue

Sad

<< I'd express my opinion with re: to how I feel about the people being disarmed by their own legislators who are visiting the people on their own home ground---but I'd be hearing moderator footsteps. Such a law would certainly have worked in Arizona, ehh? >>

It's pretty bad when an American Citizen has to pussyfoot around an important subject lest he fall afoul of some agenda driven ideologue.

Let only those with a guilty conscience be ruffled by the above. Everyone else, carry on. Nothing to see here...
Old June 3, 2011, 07:46 AM   #16
Doc Intrepid

Queue,

Check the dates of threads. This thread is from February.

You're raising threads from the dead - necro-posting as it were - unless you're bored with current discussions and want to revisit past ones!

Old June 7, 2011, 12:21 AM   #17
2amencw

Night of the Living Dead Thread

I knowit is an old thread but does anyone know the status. We should always stay vigilant. I heard a recent report about the president discussing Gun legislation with Sarah Brady and he was quoted as saying something to the effect of we are working something under the radar.
2amencw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011, 06:15 AM   #18
thallub

Quote:
I knowit is an old thread but does anyone know the status.
The magazine ban bill never got attached to anything. It was another distortion by Dudley Brown and his self serving NAGR.

S. 32 has 10 co-sponsors, all of them the usual anti-gun suspects. H.R. 308 is the House version of S.32. H.R. 308 has 108 co-sponsors and it's going nowhere.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-32
Old June 12, 2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

So the sky was falling again?

Whenever emails claim Congress is conspiring to sneak something past the American public, that the originator has some sort of recently discovered secret insight nobody else has, that action must be taken right now, and especially when said action is something as passive as letting the people of Congress know we are watching them, then you gotta figure it isn't legit.

Such components are often those that fit into urban myth emails as well.