The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 16, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
tpcollins

Is there a good economical bench rest?

I'm not sure where to post this but this on forum would seem logical. I'd gotten a Stoney Point rifle rest awhile back and took it back because I thought it was too "springy". I replaced it with the Cabelas version of the Lead Sled but wasn't happy with the constant readjustment today at the range today - it's going back tomorrow. When I got home today, I dusted off my 25 year old Outer's Varmiteer Rifle Rest and with a little modification to solidify the rear end, it may come back to use.

I know the rifle moves sligthly before the bullet exits the barrel. Both of my other two rests had a rear "pocket" that restricted the butt end from movement but I'm wondering if this hinders my accuracy? My old Outers has V-type forks that allows the rifle to slide rearward if needed - actually I don't know why I quit using the Outers.

Is there a good reasonable priced rest out there? Is one type or style better than the rest? I surely don't get to use a rest when I'm hunting - off hand or a tree for deer, Harris bipods and my shoulder for coyotes. Actually I've always thought sand bags were pretty darn good if I could get them on target fairly quick. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
tpcollins

Thanks for the help.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Bart B.

It's been my experience in testing loads, shooting and winning rifle matches and watching others do the same thing, us humans don't shoot heavy recoiling rifles very accurate from rests atop a bench. We typically shoot more accurate from a good prone position slung up and using good techniques. Benchresters do so darned well with their one-holers 'cause they're shot in free recoil; no contact with the rifle at all except for pinching the trigger to get the shot off. But those stool-shootin' rifles don't have hardly any recoil 'cause they're very heavy for the cartridge they shoot. A 9-pound .30-06 would fly off its rests fired in free recoil then probably end up laying on the ground or in your lap.

To say nothing of the 1 to 2 MOA zero difference in sight settings between rested atop a bench and prone/sitting/standing positions.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:17 PM   #4
circuit rider

Shooting Rest

May not have been on this forum, can't remember for sure, but a couple of years ago I was inquiring about a good, reasonably priced rest. Most that responded said if they could have only one it would be a Cowan. They are made in Altoona, Pa. in a Vo-Tech type school. Joe Cowan is the instructor. At that time someone gave me his email address. I contacted him and purchased one for $210.00 plus shipping. I'm not a competition shooter, but wanted a quality rest for my FNA1 SPR(308). I couldn't be more pleased. Hope this helps, Circuit Rider
Old April 21, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
publius

Nothing beats sandbags.
Old April 23, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
ForneyRider

I have been using the plastic Caldwell rest for about a year. To me, it is a step up from range bags, since there is a vertical adjustment. It is plenty for load testing hunting ammunition.

There is an even cheaper MTM one at Wal-Mart I have. It has clamps on both ends, but you can swap out a vertically adjustable rest with one end. It is plenty for load testing, and gun cleaning/maintenance.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:28 PM   #7
smoakingun

80lbs of sand in a bag, most solid rest you'll ever use