The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Zeb Kingsford

Round Balls or Bullets for Revolvers?

I have seen on another forum the discussion between using "lubed bullets" instead of round balls. I have a couple of 1860 Army's coming and have no idea about shooting bullets in it. If some of you do, do you still need lube over the tips of the bullets or not. Also, where do you get the molds/bullets from?
Thanks
Zeb
Old May 19, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Raider2000

Over the years I've turned 100% over to just a .457 144gr. ball for all of my C&B revolvers & I cast my own, easier to load, more consistent in accuracy & unless you are trying to Kill something bigger than a Coyote then they'll do just fine even on those nasty metal Rams "I use a .457 ball because my old Uberti 3rd model Dragoon likes them more than the .454 & when I bought the Lyman mold I stuck with it instead of casting 2 different balls."

Now if you are really into wanting to try them, Buffalo Bullets used to make a conical bullet but they seem to halted production at the moment because every one that I've contacted do not have any, Lee makes a great mold for a conical bullet for these revolvers .450 200gr. which I have but I've had mine for over 18 years & it's almost worn out "@#$%& Aluminum" & I would use a 50/50 mixture of bees wax & crisco to lube em up & that's it no other lubes or wads necessary.

BTW Here are a few loads that 2 of my pieces like.

Uberti 3rd model Dragoon, I’ve recently given my brother this pistol to keep so long as I got my 1858 back.
.457 144gr. Ball “I’ve personally did this test a few years ago.”
35gr. FFFG Goex
#11 CCI caps
Dry lubed wad under ball
902fps. 258ft. lbs. spread = 63. Again it’s interesting about the difference of velocity between pistols, I’m a firm believer of not using fillers cept for a wad under the ball but this light load “for this beast” produced the best groups of 2.3 inch, heavier loads definitely opened up the groups but were more fun & I never really tried a lighter load than this.
.454 235gr. Custom bullets “my brother had this .45 ACP mould opened up a little for the larger diameter requirement of this beastie, I’ve witnessed it’s capabilities but not its accuracy.”
35gr. FFFG Goex
#11 CCI caps
862fps. 382ft. lbs!! spread = 77. Now this is a awesome knock down load & I was able to hit decently on target “using some Kentucky English” but I’ve yet to bench this load to see its best accuracy, my brother swears by this load for back woods packin, cept ofcorse his .44 Mag.

My new toy, Pietta 1858 New Army 5.5” barrel.
.457 144gr. Ball
35gr. FFFG Goex
#11 Remington caps
Dry lubed wad under ball
875fps. 242ft. lbs. spread = 54. Now I’m still in the regulating part of this revolver but this load seems to be promising at averaging 2.2 inch groups but still low & slightly left “I may have to get a dovetailed front sight to cure its left issue.
This’ll be purely a ball loaded piece for back woods, camp, & fun shooting so I may not consider using any conical bullets in her plus my Lee mould is worn out & I don’t plan to replace it & Ball is a lot easier to load in the field.
Same load cept 40gr. FFFG charge
941fps. 280ft. lbs spread = 68.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Zeb Kingsford

Round Balls or Bullets for Revolvers?

Thanks Raider2000: I appreciate the information givein. I swear this is the friendliest forum that I have ever visited.
Zeb
Old May 20, 2008, 08:16 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought Lee molds for my Ruger Ol Army and Rem '58 to cast slugs with. I use a felt that I punch myself overpowder then dip the slug in lube and load. about 3-4 cylinders before I have to pull the pin to grease again.
Buffalo evidently does not make the revolver slugs any more. the Lee has a reduced diameter heel for easy loading. I like them!
Old May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM   #5
simonkenton

Reports from combat veterans of the Civil War are that the round ball is more effective of a man killer than the elongated slugs.
Old June 6, 2008, 01:59 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Round Ball hands down

I make my own lube pills that I place on top of the powder then load the Round ball. It has been my experiance that Round ball shoot tighter groups and are more accurate out to 100yds. Not as cumbersum to reload either as are conical boolits.
In my opinion.
SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php