The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 21, 2013, 07:42 PM   #26
Old Stony

I went through a stage where I had to buy about every model of Glock I saw that had the OD frame. They are great pistols, but now my fascination has changed to the M&P's and I have a standard 9, 40, Shield and a Pro 9mm. I have to say the Pro 9mm has really caught my attention and I have gotten really fond of it. I had to put an APEX sear in it and a shorter sight from 10x, but now it shoots great groups, right where they should be, and the trigger is great.
I use a pistol a lot and carry one with me daily...it looks like the Pro will be with me for a long time.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:50 PM   #27
ritepath

I sold my only glock (g20) and kept my M&P 9c...then traded it this spring. Now I want a full sized M&P 9 and 45, to me no line of poly pistols feel as good in the hand.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:45 PM   #28
Tarowah

I got a smoking deal on a M&P 9 last week and thus far I have about 300 rounds through it, the trigger pull and break on this gun is fantastic but the reset is about the worst I have ever felt, I now have an APEX reset assist on the way to resolve that issue.

I own 2 G19s and a G34, I am a Glock guy to the core but I would have zero issues suggesting anything in the M&P line to someone as a primary SD gun, will the M&P ever replace my Glocks? I doubt it, but I wouldnt trash talk the M&P series because they seem to be pretty darn good weapons.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:24 PM   #29
ripnbst

Have you made a permanent switch: From Glock to M&P

To me Glock was the first on the market with the uber reliable poly pistol. Human beings are creatures of habit. Your dad carried Glock as LEO, your first gun was a Glock following dads recommendation, so now you are so familiar with the simplicity if the Glock its like your favorite pair of jeans. It's familiar and just feels right.

Give the M&P some years and I believe it will surpass Glock depending on how the marketing goes. Glock is a marketing power house.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:19 PM   #30
yaonttwo

Tunnelrat,
I have been a hangun fanatic for 47 years. Have had just about every revolver and semi-auto made. Still own 3 1911s, a CZ and a Glock 19. I love my Springfields and Kimber 1911s. However, without a doubt, the Glock is the most reliable semi made. Everyone has a priority ranking in their handguns, mine is reliability and Glock fills the bill.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:21 AM   #31
Quentin2

I have to agree with yaonttwo, I carried a Colt 1911 or Browning Hi Power for 35 years. Still love them and feel comfortable with them but a few years ago I bought a Glock 22 LE trade-in because it was a lot of gun for the money plus let me try out a Glock and the 40S&W caliber with just one purchase.

Didn't expect to like it so much but after a few weeks of testing I couldn't ignore its advantages: lightweight, large caliber, large capacity and reliability as good as anything I've seen. Later I added the G23 and G27. I have nothing against the 9mm but feel good with the .40 since I carried a .45 so long. I do use 9mm for practice using a G23 9mm conversion barrel which works in my G27 too.

I'm not a fanboy but do trust the Glocks. I have shot an M&P 9 but can't see a reason to switch to it. Great pistol but so is the Glock. Either is a smart choice. I'd say stick with the one you like.

Actually I do have an M&P, I used an M&P-15 stripped lower for my first AR build!

Last edited by Quentin2; August 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:36 AM   #32
daddyo

Quote:
Glock is a marketing power house.
LOL The marketing powerhouse is Springfield. They took a failed design, the HS2000, manufactured a phony problem, grip angle, and used fantastic marketing, how there gun is a solution to that problem, to fill up their bank accounts. That was true PERFECTION.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:41 AM   #33
DasGuy

How is the HS2000 a "failed design"? And not liking how a gun feels in your hands is a "manufactured phony problem"?

Glock isn't the only polymer framed, striker fired handgun on the block. How is variety a bad thing?
Old August 22, 2013, 07:57 AM   #34
Skans

Quote:
What un-necessary do-dads are you referring to on the M&Ps?
Interchangeable backstraps, snags-a-lot bulky rail, dirt-collector LCI, weighty metal guide rod. I hate rails on handguns so much (personal preference, I know) that I'd actually pay substantially more to get a a particular gun without them.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:34 AM   #35
1DrnkMxR

I have the M&P Shield that is my EDC love that gun but what I really like about my Glock 19 is that I can order any part for that weapon excluding the frame and do upgrades and repair work if needed.

If my FNS-9 had a failed part I would need to ship it back for repair. ( Not a big deal, but I would rather work on it myself since I've always been someone who likes to take apart & put together.)
Old August 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

Nice question, I love my Glocks. Specifically my Glock 19, which is my CCW. Trained with it a lot and shot it a lot. Love that damn thing.

I also have an M&P-9 and I really feel like that is up to par with my Glock. It's an amazing firearm, really comfortable, and made in the USA. (Glocks are now too but mine aren't USA Glocks)

If I wasn't so invested in my Glock 19 as my CCW. Holsters, training, etc. I might consider making a switch to the M&P-9 that sits comfortably in my safe.

Another thing that I have to mention though is the trigger reset...yes, this again. The reset of my Glocks are audible and tactile. I've trained with the reset on my Glock 19 down to a T. The M&P doesn't have that same audible or tactile reset.

Why not drop in an Apex trigger kit? Goes against my cardinal rule of modifying the internals of any concealed carry handgun. I just won't do it. I haven't either because I still might want to carry it some day, if I do that it'll be like any 1911 is to me. A range gun.

So my next option is train and get used to the M&P-9..which means more ammo and holsters. I've mentioned holsters because I have a lot for my Glock 19, OWB, IWB, w/ tac light, w/o tac light, appendix, strong side, 3:00...etc.

So in the end...I'm staying with my Glock 19.

If I was introduced to them both at the same time? It would be a tough call, but I might have just gone with the M&P. Who knows...
Old August 22, 2013, 09:19 AM   #37
TunnelRat

Quote:
Interchangeable backstraps, snags-a-lot bulky rail, dirt-collector LCI, weighty metal guide rod.
I personally don't consider those "do-dads". The backstraps are great if you have a female shooter in the house or someone with small hands. I prefer a rail to mount a light leaving both hands free. I don't see how the LCI will collect dirt really, though I don't use it and still do chamber checks. The metal guide rod barely adds any weight and is one less part to break. On the Gen 4 Glocks they have gone to metal guide rods too.

Quote:
but what I really like about my Glock 19 is that I can order any part for that weapon excluding the frame and do upgrades and repair work if needed.
Same is true of the M&P if you look at Brownells or MidwayUSA. Heck if you call S&W they'll drop parts in the mail to you for free, they've done it for me a few times.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 22, 2013, 10:59 AM   #38
TxFlyFish

Own 2 m&p truly great guns! But can't replace the g17/19
Old August 22, 2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Uncle Malice

I have not, but what I have done, is sold almost all of my OTHER guns, except for my Springfield TRP 1911.

I have sold all of my XDs, XDMs, Walthers, Sigs, HKs, and so on. I've owned most of the more popular guns on the market, and every model of Glock except for the .357sig ones.

I have also had just about every model of M&P as well(also except for the 357 sig ones)

I have pretty much settled on the M&P and Glock series of pistols because I shoot them well, they have good capacity for the size, and ergonomics for me.
Old August 22, 2013, 02:06 PM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I have not, but what I have done, is sold almost all of my OTHER guns, except for my Springfield TRP 1911.

I have sold all of my XDs, XDMs, Walthers, Sigs, HKs, and so on. I've owned most of the more popular guns on the market, and every model of Glock except for the .357sig ones.

I have also had just about every model of M&P as well(also except for the 357 sig ones)

I have pretty much settled on the M&P and Glock series of pistols because I shoot them well, they have good capacity for the size, and ergonomics for me.
First off, hello and long time no see!! Hope all is well.

Secondly, that's pretty awesome. I'm thinking about doing the same. But keeping the SIGs. (Keeping the Glocks and M&Ps)

I too sold my XDs and Walthers (didn't like them) and thinking about doing the same to one more 1911. I've already sold 4 of my 1911's leaving me with 2.

I too shoot the Glock very well and just about every gun that I'm probably keeping. At first I was "collecting" now I'm cleaning out for just serious use and CCW with just a few range toys in the group.

To my standards. I'm doing just that.
Old August 22, 2013, 04:47 PM   #41
daddyo

Quote:
How is the HS2000 a "failed design"? And not liking how a gun feels in your hands is a "manufactured phony problem"?

Glock isn't the only polymer framed, striker fired handgun on the block. How is variety a bad thing?
Sorry I should have said a gun that failed to sell in the U.S..

Grip angle is not how the gun feels but how it points. Since any gun in short order will point perfectly, the grip angle "problem" was born to extract market share. If Springfield Armory simply marketed a gun with an alternative grip angle they sell a few guns. Call it a problem and sell thousands. Pure genius.
Old August 22, 2013, 05:21 PM   #42
allaroundhunter

Have you made a permanent switch: From Glock to M&P

I guess the metal sights are another unnecessary doodad on the M&P

I don't see a single valid complaint in Skans's list...
Old August 22, 2013, 05:30 PM   #43
Bullcamp82834

In a word NO. In two words HELL NO.

The only semi auto pistol I trust is the Glock.
When they made us transition to the Glock from the S&W 357 mag back around 1986 or so I laughed. The laughter didn't last long.

20 years on the street plus countless training hours and an in depth familiarity as a certified Glock armorer sold me.

If I am going into a gunfight and am limited to a handgun I'll be armed with a Glock.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #44
amd6547

Holster availability is another good point.
I like to shop for used holster deals. Glocks have been such a big seller for so long, that a quick eBay search will turn up pages of good and even great deals on Glock holsters.
Just a week or so ago, I bought a great Galco Summer Comfort IWB leather holster...like new, for $35 shipped.
Last year, I bought a Safariland retention holster for the G26 for $25 shipped.
A used police thumbreak G17 holster made of solid top quality leather for $20.
Hard to beat.
Also, magazines...prior to the current hysteria, deals on Police surplus Glock mags often showed up. I stocked up on G17 mags cheap, and also got a deal on four G19 mags to use in the G26. I think I paid $40 for the four G19 mags.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:57 PM   #45
Uncle Malice

It's probably worth noting that most holsters designed for the large frame glocks (g21/g20) fit the M&P pistols perfectly, except for those that are custom fitted like certain kydex models. Leather holsters and even blackhawk SERPA holsters for the G21 fit the M&P perfectly.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:37 PM   #46
amd6547

Hmmm...the holster I'm talking about are mainly molded leather made to fit every little bumb, depression and contour of a Glock...while an M&P might be pushed into one, I doubt they fit like they fit the pistol they are molded for.

Last edited by amd6547; August 23, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:42 PM   #47
jmr40

I tried the M&P. It just didn't work as well as my Glocks.

Our local PD spent over a year researching guns to replace their 20 year old S&W 5906's. Chief said he would never approve a Glock. But after multiple problems with the M&P during testing and evaluation he finally conceeded and approved the purchase of new Glocks about a year ago.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:45 PM   #48
TunnelRat

While I do think the Glock is a reliable platform, in my own personal use I have not found it more reliable than a number of other well thought of brands. For instance if someone said you have to a SIG or HK or S&W I would feel just as comfortable, and in some cases more so. Just my $0.02
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 23, 2013, 07:39 AM   #49
Skans

Quote:
Our local PD spent over a year researching guns to replace their 20 year old S&W 5906's.
20 years of hard use of a S&W 5906 doesn't even put a dent in the life of one of those guns. Why not just save money and keep the 5906's for another 10 years? Besides, the 5906 is a real gun, and they don't make them anymore!
Old August 23, 2013, 08:42 AM   #50
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
20 years of hard use of a S&W 5906 doesn't even put a dent in the life of one of those guns. Why not just save money and keep the 5906's for another 10 years? Besides, the 5906 is a real gun, and they don't make them anymore!
It's a police department. I would think they're either out of spare parts in the armorer. Since they don't make them anymore I bet parts a pain in the ass to find. I think it's just better to get with the times when it comes to police departments. So all bases are covered.