The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2000, 08:53 AM   #1
faiello5

Hi all. Been contemplating the question of whether or not I should begin reloading and need your help.

1. Economics - is it worth it? I only shoot 9mm and 45acp. The 9mm I get is Denel/PMP for about $5.50 per box so it is probably not worth reloading. The 45 I get is usually S&B for between $9 - $10 per box. I probably shoot about 1000 rounds of each per year. How many $$$ to get set up and running for reloading the 45?

2. Putting the economics aside, is it enjoyable to reload or is it drudgery?

3. I know absolutely nothing about reloading. Are there any good books on the subject?

4. If I decide to do it, what would I need to get started? Please be as specific as possible about suggestions and prices for: a press, any needed accessories, powder, bullets, primers etc.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Frank

[This message has been edited by faiello5 (edited June 04, 2000).]

Old June 4, 2000, 10:48 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Recommendation: Use the search feature for reloading threads, There are some great discussions on starting out.

Offer: I haven't bought a relaoding book in a few years. If you buy a recent reloading publication, as I recommend, and you read through it end-to-end, then decide not to get into reloading, I will buy your reloading book from you. I'll pay you what you paid. Full dollar. But you must read the sucker before you buy any equipment.

Answers to your questions:

1. "Economics - is it worth it?" Yes. Now there are a few here that will tell you that you won't save money, you'll just load and shoot more. True, I think. But, you will save money per round and have quality handloads ... when you need 'em, not when Wal-mart is open. You will have the ability to change ONE component in your cartridge and see the affect at the range.

2. "Putting the economics aside, is it enjoyable to reload or is it drudgery?" Your profile doesn't show what you do for a living, so no way to estimate your "geek" factor. I am a geek. I love mechanical stuff. I LOVE to reload. But, with a good system it doesn't have to be drudgery. I load with the radio going. The technical side of case prep and component selection is the part that's interesting.

3. "... Are there any good books on the subject?" Yes, there is some great reading material. Get to your local gun shop and look for reloading manuals. You can get by with a couple, but one at the time I'd keep building a library over the years. You won't regret it. Start with Hornady, Speer or Lyman. Get the books, not the free pamphlet handouts (Well, get those too, They're free!)

4. "If I decide to do it, what would I need to get started? Please be as specific as possible about suggestions and prices for: a press, any needed accessories, powder, bullets, primers etc." Your question is too big. There is no way to pour the multitude of answers into your head. The search feature in the recommendation above and the reloading manual reading are things you need to do so you can ask specific questions about your needs here. In addition, an example of prices and accessories can be found at MidwayUSA. They are just one example, not the only source.

Good luck. Come back with questions AFTER you read some.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 04, 2000).]
Old June 4, 2000, 02:44 PM   #3
Chris McDermott

Start by buying the NRA Guide to Reloading from Midway (1-800-243-3220; part #508-351, $9.99) to answer most questions (no manual will do it all). Then to get started, buy some reloading manuals, I recommend one from a Powder company (Alliant, Hodgkins etc), one from a bullet company (Hornady, Speer, Sierra etc) and the Lyman Reloading manual (latest is the 47th edition) or one of the Lyman specialty manuals that comes closest to matching your main interest (Cast Bullet, Black Powder, Pistol & Revolver etc.) and read them. The powder company manuals have LOTS of loads for their powders with a wide variety of bullets, and a few loads for other companies powders; same with the bullet companies. Lyman makes reloading & bullet casting equipment and shows all of the reloading steps using their own equipment in the illustrations and pictures.
After reading these manuals you should be able to figure out if you want to start with a single stage press (cheap but slow), a turret press (more money and twice as fast), or a progressive (a lot more money and 6 to 8 times as fast as a single stage) and what accessories that you need (powder scale, dial caliper etc). You willl also be able to determine which powder/bullet you want to start with to meet what your requirements for your ammo (heavy hunting loads, self defense, light target/plinking loads etc).
It helps to find someone that will let you watch while they do some re-loading, all the steps from tumbling dirty brass/preparing new cases through to putting finished rounds into a carry case. Ask around where you shoot, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone.
Old June 4, 2000, 04:38 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sensop:
I haven't bought a relaoding book in a few years. If you buy a recent reloading publication, as I recommend, and you read through it end-to-end, then decide not to get into reloading, I will buy your reloading book from you. I'll pay you what you paid. Full dollar. But you must read the sucker before you buy any equipment.[/quote]

When it comes to buying the reloading manuals (hell the presses and dies and all that other stuff too by the way) check places like E-bay, AuctionArms.com or GunBroker.com first. There are amazing deals to be had there if you are persistant and keep your eyes peeled. As I sit here and type, I was just notified by E-bay that I had won an auction for 300 US Military Match 173 grain bullets for $26.02 plus $3.50 for shipping. Thats less than $10.00 per hundred for some of the best match grade bullets ever made!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited June 04, 2000).]
Old June 4, 2000, 05:53 PM   #5
Blue Heeler

Well---you've got all the info--so just to follow up the Hamlet allusion(and show off)-
the answer is "Reloading is nobler in the mind".
Old June 4, 2000, 07:14 PM   #6
Turk

I started reloading in 1971 with main reason to reload 5.56 NATO (cost)it does save you money. I now reload 23 different rifle and pistol calibers. Used to cast bullets but don't have the time anymore. Over the years its been a fun and its been a pain sometimes.

I have a couple of suggestions 1st. is when you buy don't go for price only. Remember you only feel bad about the cost once but if you have to buy again money wasted. My personal choice of reloading eq. is REDDING I believe it's the finest made. They have the finest powder measure on the market. I know I've tried others.

2nd. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. Don't be distracted when reloading.

3rd. Whatever a factory load will do a handload will do better.

You all have a good day.

Turk

PS: You now shoot two calibers but If your like most shooters there will be a 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. etc.