The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
StainlessSteel215

Sig P229 9mm Scorpion...why the huge price tag?

All things considered, are people honestly paying $1100 for the fancy grips, night sights, rail, and flat dark earth color? If we are talking about the 9mm scorpion without a threaded barrel....what justifies this massive price tag versus the standard P229 in 9mm that costs around $600 NIB? The difference in price between the 2 is worth a brand new Glock or Sig!

I look at the gun almost every time I'm in my local gun shop...I just cannot for the life of my understand the price tag. I think its a great looking gun...but my head spins when some of these manufacturer's stir up a huge marketing blizzard on fancy models. If I was gonna pay that kind of money...i could MAYBE justify the FNP .45 tactical with red dot optic and threaded barrel. Not a 229 in 9mm with some fancy finish.

Anyone own a 229 scorpion in 9mm that can speak to justify the price of these? Love the gun's look...never shot one but hate the price.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
JimDandy

You answered your own question. You look at it every time you're in the gun shop. It absolutely is about the looks. If you look at it every time, most folks will too, and some will buy it. Thankfully I've never been fond of the Earth color.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:19 AM   #3
StainlessSteel215

Dont get me wrong I'm sure it shoots like a dream but I would NEVER pay over $1k for a 9mm semi...specially without a threaded barrel or red dot optic. Those tactical add's would up the ante but still not sway me into buying it. Its nice, but not THAT nice!
Old November 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
sigcurious

Not sure where you're seeing new 229s for $600 but you should buy one at that price!

The following are just estimates, but should give a rough idea of what it would take to have a stock 229 made into a scorpion model. SRT+Short trigger: $150, Cerakote $150, Night Sights $100, New Grips $50, Front serrations: $100. Total: $550+$600=$1150. I imagine to have all this professionally done the total would actually be higher(not to mention shipping costs if you can't have it done locally) but it illustrates the point, all those little things add up in price.

Now are they worth it? That's up to the buyer.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
StainlessSteel215

Hmmm, those other additions you mentioned Sig certainly get us over the $1k ballpark....I neglected things like the shorter trigger and cerakote thats added to the earth finish.

Well, when it comes down to brass tacks I suppose the bells & whistles do add up....but would most average gun buyers justify paying all that for a tact'd up 9mm?

You are right....100% up to the individual buyer. I guess I'm just speaking on personal disbelief that a person like me would drop $1100 for this 9mm semi. I guess I'm just very intrigued by the gun & interested to hear from anyone who actually owns this gun and would speak to the pricetag not being the deal-breaker. Obviously those with better financial means dont let price become the main issue....but I just feel there are so many better ways to spend $1100
Old November 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
MonsterB

I'm not sure where you are finding 229's for 600$, but the cheapest I have found them in NH is 850. In any case, I have a 229 Extreme, which is basically the same gun as the scorpion with a different grip and color. I got mine for a very good price, and the srt, grip, and sights do make for a better gun to me. The sights and Hogue piranna grips are very high quality, and the srt trigger is a definite upgrade. If you add up the prices of the upgrades, they are worth it, if the fancy model has what you want. The grips alone are about 130 bucks.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #7
dayman

You could always buy a regular p229, flat earth duracoat for like $40, and another $150 or so on grips and night sights.
It does seem like a pretty huge mark up for what you get.

How much collectors value is it likely to have (assuming you buy a gun and then deny yourself the pleasure of shooting it)? Maybe some people would see it as an investment.

edit - so, it seems like everything I said had already been addressed. That'll teach me to not refresh.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
geetarman

Quote:
I would NEVER pay over $1k for a 9mm semi
I hope you never handle a Dan Wesson PM9 or a Springfield 1911-A1 Trophy Match.

I never thought I would spend over a grand on a 9mm or .45 1911 either. . .but I did and I am about to do it again.

Take a look at a Smith and Wesson 1911 E and you will be close to a grand.

They are some really nice, well built guns.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 5, 2012, 12:28 PM   #9
chris in va

Sigcurious, don't forget to subtract the cost of the factory finishes and parts you listed. Sig doesn't take a finished gun and swap out all those 'upgrades'. They take a bare gun and fit everything. I'd be surprised if that 'dark earth' finish cost any more than a factory blue or whatever they use. A threaded barrel is probably $30 actual cost over a stock one.

Jus' saying.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
sigcurious

I wasn't implying that's what it costs the factory to do it. Rather what it would cost a person if you had a stock 229 to make it into a replica of the scorpion model. The result is the same to the end user if they want those features, they have to fork over extra money.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
StainlessSteel215

Geetar I wasnt addressing the 1911's...but I should have mentioned that. I ABSOLUTELY understand that Ed Brown, DW, Wilson Combat custom 1911's would put me well over $1k....I would drop $1k for a nice 1911 9mm before I spent that on a Sig. But again, that boils down to personal preference.

I actually just picked up a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 9mm for $550 over the weekend...Ill have to snap some pics. Incredible, but I digress....
Old November 5, 2012, 01:37 PM   #12
geetarman

^^^^^^^^^^^ I hear 'ya.

The Springer I shot really got my interest. I had never seen one before. Impressive.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 5, 2012, 01:52 PM   #13
hulley

TBH Sigs to me are well worth the money. That particular model is just under $1k around here and is just $150-200 more then the standard model. Heck I just bought a LNIB P229 with SRT and night sights for $700 and I feel I got a good deal.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:03 PM   #14
RamItOne

NIB $600 base model 229? Where have you seen that?
The SRT (reset not reach) on the 229/226 is awesome.
As for the scorpion, meh, I think it looks like crap or a toy, I've even seen a sig 1911 fde with no texture just different shades of baby poop, ugh mr Cohen how I dislike you lol. One of my lgs that is a range as well rents a 226 scorpion, that finish doesn't look good after a while, sure it's a range gun, who knows how many times its been fired, but I buy guns to shoot so I'm sure at one point I'll meet the same round count this sig has. To each their own, Im personally holding out for a rainbow colored slide sig, ugh have you seen those hideous versions...

The 229 I want is the stainless elite, pref in .357, most places the sticker is 1,100, so if you're asking if you'd pay 1,100 for a 229 that you find aesthetically appealing then yeah 1,100 is worth it. Hey people pay 1k for those Polly HKs (:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old November 5, 2012, 02:09 PM   #15
StainlessSteel215

Hey guys, went back and read my OP and realized I said NIB for $600 for a P229. Yeah thats way off, more like $750-800.....I was actually looking at USED prices while comparing the 2 and didnt realize. Im getting more familiar with Sigs now that I own one...but FAR from an expert! (which is why I ask so many questions)

Soooo....that puts the NIB Sig P229 and the NIB Sig 229 Scorpion much closer in price considering the upgrades.

I still cant fathom spending that much for a non-1911 Sig in 9mm.....but hey if you like it you like it!
Old November 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
carguychris

SIG Sauer has successfully adopted the marketing strategy long used by high-end German automakers, particularly Porsche; offer lots of option packages, some of which can more than double the base price for changes that are arguably minor when assessed individually.

Some commentators will argue that the motive is good- give buyers what they want, something that seems unique and personal. Others will argue that it's a cynical ploy to maximize profits and rake the buyers over the coals.

Both arguments are correct to a degree.

If you don't like it, buy the base model, or a Camry/Glock.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Noreaster

If you live in NH go to the Sigarms Academy in Epping. Awesome new store on site plus if you take a class, (one day classes for $100,) you get the student discount. The last time I checked a stock P229 with the student discount was $735.00. Great guys at the Academy and a huge selection of guns and stuff.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:29 PM   #18
MonsterB

Quote:
If you live in NH go to the Sigarms Academy in Epping. Awesome new store on site plus if you take a class, (one day classes for $100,) you get the student discount. The last time I checked a stock P229 with the student discount was $735.00. Great guys at the Academy and a huge selection of guns and stuff.
I will second that! Luckily I live 15 minutes away, and when I picked up my 229, I went to the pro shop and picked up a nice Mitch Rossin holster, a complete spring kit, and several other goodies all at a very decent price, and had the luxury of drooling over thier display cases. If you need something, anything, for your Sig, its in that shop. If you take a class, and buy some stuff from the shop, the discount can pay for the classs itself.