The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 14, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Phidelt208

Question with rifled slugs

Ok, so I need some FACTS on this one, Not just what you've always THOUGHT to be true. Maybe even slow motion video.

Do rifled slugs through a smooth bore shotgun, truly rotate to stabilize the slug?

I believe that most people think they do, but i'm not convinced. I need real data.

I figured there would be some people with real experience here, that might know.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:14 PM   #2
shortwave

Here ya go:

From Wikipedia...

Quote:
Most Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. The actual purpose of these fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to be swaged down safely when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear may be progressively accelerated when fired through any gauge choked tighter than about improved cylinder.[clarification needed] Foster slugs can safely be swaged down much more than Brenneke slugs, when fired through a choke, being hollow.
Old March 15, 2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Pahoo

Now we know !!!

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief
Good catch; shortwave and once again, I thank you !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 15, 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Virginian

If they do impart any spin, it is way, way too slow to impart any stability to the projectile. I got rid of a Marlin 94 in .44 Mag because that stupid 38" twist they use wouldn't stabilize the very heavy bullets I wanted to shoot. The slugs stay nose forward because of the hollow base. Out of the right barrel and choke combo, they can be surprisingly accurate.
Old March 15, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Slugs stay "on target" because they are nose heavy, like a dart.

Rifled slugs are called that because the fins on the slug LOOK like rifling.

The fact that some people think that they ACT like rifling is their misunderstanding. They don't.
Old March 15, 2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Phidelt208

Well I guess,..... I need a high speed camera. Yap that should do it, maybe this should be on Mythbusters. If you guys asked 3 of your friends that shoot regularly how many out of the 3 would say they spin?
Old March 18, 2014, 01:11 AM   #7
bamaranger

???????

Maybe 40 years ago, I read an article, maybe in "Gun Digest" as a kid, where the scribe was lobbing conventional slugs, and some Brenneke's as well, at long range. Don't ask me.....but I think it was out to 300.

His tests were yielding slightly smaller groups at some brief point way out there, and his theory was that the slugs had slowed down enough that perhaps the remaining flutes actually were catching some air and imparting a modicum of stability.

Remember, the article said that....not me.

Otherwise I'm with the rest of the posts, dart like and nose on.
Old March 18, 2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Phidelt208

I knew it. Well thanks for the info, anyone have any pics of groups 50 yards or more?

Maybe one group with rifled slugs, and another without rifled slugs?
Old March 19, 2014, 12:47 PM   #9
shortwave

originally posted by Phidelt208:
Quote:
I knew it.

What did you know???