The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
jmortimer

I Was Wrong About The NRA

I have been critical of the NRA, but the facts regarding their work with Congress show that I have been wrong. For me, they could have gone farther, and there are specific mistakes, but overall, I have to admit they are doing their best under the circumstances. The following graphic from the Washington Post article "NRA’s lobbying bags big legislative wins in states over the past two decades" by Peter Wallsten and Tom Hamburger, Published: January 16, 2013 has the following graphic which speaks volumes and it is worth looking at every page of the graphic in my opinion:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../nra-congress/

Here is link to the article
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...712_story.html

This is enough for me to sign up once again and retract about 80% of what I said.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
wingman

Nothing or no one is perfect, but in times like this we need to group my advice is join the NRA or other firearms organization, money has power as do numbers if all gun owners joined the NRA trust me congress would take notice.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
wizrd

If everyone just skipped buying 1 Box of AMMO - right NOW & instead, sent the money to the NRA - ILA - 11250 Waples Mill Rd. -- Fairfax VA -- 22030.

They would have some ammo for this big fight that is looming for ALL Of US.
DO WHAT YOU CAN BROTHERS, JUST DO SOMETHING. This thing ain't about those black rifles - this thing is about FREEDOM - and ALL OF US do have a dog in this fight.

Note: NRA - ILA is Institue for Legislative action, for those of you unfamiliar with the initials. All that money goes to fighting state & national legislation.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Spammy_H

I'm still having issues with supporting them.

They endorsed Harry Reid for the 2010 midterm elections because Harry bought a multimillion dollar shooting sports education complex with federal dollars.

I'm not saying that they don't do good things, but Harry is no friend to 2nd amendment rights, and being bought off for an endorsement does sit well with me.

No way the NRA should have endorsed Reid. We lost a potential senate seat due in part to that endorsement.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Tinner666

Steady as she goes gentlemen. We must stand together.

Fact is, if I was near Obamie and somehow all his SS got knocked out and I had the chance to save him, I would even if that meant pulling out two guns and killing all the terrorists. And you know what? CNN and all the liberals will call for my blood and I'll also be arrested for having 2-3 extra 12 round mags on me to save his butt.

I'm quite sure all us legal gunowners would do the same. Supporting the NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. will ensure that somebody would be there to bail us out of jail for saving POTUS.

Of course, if his salvation occured in DC, Chicago, NYC, the savior may never see the light of day again.

Last edited by Tinner666; January 21, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Spammy_H

I did join Larry Pratt's group, Gun Owners of America, and glad that I did. His performance on Piers Morgan's show was outstanding.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
jmortimer

I think it makes sense to support GOA, NRA, and SAF
Old January 18, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
MLeake

jmortimer, it is always nice when somebody mans up and admits to an error, then takes steps to correct it. I wish I saw more of it, in general, but thank you for setting an example others will hopefully follow.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:16 PM   #9
bsstan

I Was Wrong About The NRA

I haven't always respected the efforts of the NRA. I have always thought they were good for the gun industry. I recently rejoined the NRA( at a gun show). I didn't intend to. While talking the the rep. I expressed my dissatisfaction, with their marketing. The rep. assured me I wouldn't get phone calls and mailing begging for more money. That was why I left them before. I think the NRA is essential for the freedom of gun owners, to retain firearms. We must have a voice in washington. Our senate and white house are indifferent to our needs and desires.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:47 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

IMO, GOA is a total waste of money. I don't think anyone outside the choir takes them at all seriously.

NRA membership is not a waste of money unless you think the money goes to protect the second amendment directly. If you realize you are buying a magazine subscription and subsidizing highpower shoots along with educational programs and ranges than you are good to go.

NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF both seem like decent places to send your money.

SAF seems to be more bang for the buck to me. SAF does little lobbying.

Groups like JPFO and even Pink Pistols come from an angle the NRA lobbying members can't.

NRA gets by far the most money out of all the groups. In excess of 60 million dollars a year in membership dues. None of it goes to lobbying or court battles.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:35 PM   #11
btmj

NRA and SAF are both good organizations, and they are effective in different ways.

SAF has been very effective in court. The NRA has been very effective working with lawmakers. We need both.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #12
scottycoyote

my membership had lapsed, i rejoined the other day
Old January 18, 2013, 05:26 PM   #13
MoscowMike

I took one weeks take-home pay and sent half to the NRA-ILA and the other half to SAF. I have significant issues with the NRA, but we must stand together on this issue. They have the legislative know-how and in this battle money is the best ammunition.

On the legal front the SAF has been doing a marvelous job over the last couple of years.

Now if we could just find a few more charismatic and articulate spokespeople!
Old January 18, 2013, 06:33 PM   #14

MLeake....solid post. Couldnt have said it better myself. Class act.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:58 PM   #15
jmortimer

Now is the time for unity. So I will check my criticism at the door and join the cause.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:04 PM   #16
JWT

I've never been keen on sending the NRA money. Today I responded for their request for donations for the NRA-ILA. They are doing their best to represent gun enthusiasts and stop the rash of ridiculous gun control proposals. Now is the time to support them.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:44 PM   #17
arch308

Together We Stand, Divided We Fall. Please keep/renew your NRA membership and donate to the NRA-ILA & PVF. I must admit my contributions have declined lately but after what has transpired lately I'm back on the bus!
OP, it takes a man to admit his mistake, especially in public! I only hope more of our brothers will follow your example.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. -- Benjamin Franklin

I do not agree with everything the NRA supports, but they have done a lot of good things for gun owners. They're the 800-lb gorilla of gun legislation.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:14 AM   #19
JT-AR-MG42

I have just one question for all who either will not join because of a personal beef of some sort or are holding back on a special donation to the NRA.

'What would your gun owning rights be today if the NRA had never been formed?'

Too many do not remember or know just what was going on in 1968 - or were not born yet.
Same applies to the legislation in 1934.
Just like now, in both eras with the cries for just banning all guns, ONLY the united gun owners of the NRA saved our freedoms.

Now it is our turn. WE are the NRA.

If everyone who owned multiple firearms that they shoot - I am even excluding those who own a single gun for the home, i.e. the casual gun owner - were a NRA member, we would be a voice the nation and the Government could not ignore.

JT
Old January 19, 2013, 08:26 AM   #20
cryogenic419

As imperfect as the NRA may be in some areas, they are largest group out there with any political muscle. They are the ones that have been out there fighting...the thorn in the side of alot of anti-gun politicians. When the anti's start calling the NRA a hate group and everything else I have heard lately, kinda tells me those people fear the NRA. Not for the reasons those folks are claiming though. They know that NRA members are active voters and will do everything in their power to geet rid of anti politicians. If they weren't a force to be reckoned with they would NEVER get mentioned by the politicians or media.

I just wish that they could find spokespeople who appeal to a wide audience.
As much as I love Ted Nugent (I know hes not an official spokesman), hes extremely outspoken and he scares alot of people. Surely there have got to be current music stars, movie stars, and pro athletes who are pro-gun that can come off as friendly and inviting. I am in no way knocking any of the present or past spokespeople or gunrights ambassadors. In order to succeed in todays climate from a PR standpoint, you have to go with whats current, hip, popular, etc...You need to show diversity...not just middle aged or old white males. Part of the whole gun rights battle is image. If all the public sees is old white men "clinging" onto their guns it becomes alot harder to sell that image as positive compared to a racially and age diverse group of men and women.

They are our best ally when it comes to gun rights. Not trying to take anything away from the other groups as they are important as well. We need to get behind all of them and show the anti's a unified front.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Tinner666

Again, yesterday, I scratched up enough to donate more to each of the 3 in my sig.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Patrice

Hhmmm....I'm a member. I don't send them extra money, but I will occasionally buy some of their over-priced NRA-Store, made-in-china merchandise. [I do send extra money to my state association.] The NRA has acted to compromise our the 2nd Amendment rights on previous occasions. They have endorsed politicians like the current senate majority leader. I have no doubt that they are capable of further reprehensible actions

With re: to a previous post....We Are the NRA, but I believe the NRA Yellow Dogs have forgotten that sentiment.--Patrice
Old January 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Bellasogno

They're not perfect. But, can the critics here offer up a better organization to support our rights?

Don't bring me your complaints and problems. Bring me your solutions.

I totally agree with the suggestion that instead of buying that extra box of overpriced ammo, send those $ to the NRA. Well said!!
Old January 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #24
kkb

I had let my membership laps due to some shenanigans they(the NRA) pulled with a DVD mailing. With the current brouhaha going on, though, I re-upped - along with a donation to their NRA-ILA.

Also sent some bucks to the SAF.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:19 PM   #25
wayneinFL

Quote:
The rep. assured me I wouldn't get phone calls and mailing begging for more money. That was why I left them before.
Hopefully, everyone knows, but it bears repeating for those who are reluctant to join. You can opt out of the mailing lists.

I haven't opted out. I'm an endowment member, so since I don't pay yearly, I like a reminder every once in a while to send them a few bucks.

Quote:
If everyone just skipped buying 1 Box of AMMO - right NOW & instead, sent the money to the NRA - ILA - 11250 Waples Mill Rd. -- Fairfax VA -- 22030.
Yeah, people need to look at their priorities. You can spend a few bucks on a ammo that you can blow through in 20 minutes at the range, or you can spend a few bucks to try to hang on to your Second Amendment rights for years to come. Sounds like an easy decision to me.

There is a lot of talk about secession or armed insurrection. There are people saying they would sacrifice their lives for their freedom. I have a hard time taking these people seriously when most of them won't even sacrifice $30 to the NRA.