The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
weblance

Need Help. Taurus 94 Cylinder Leading

I bought a 2" Taurus 94 .22 Stainless revolver. I dont need a lecture, Thanks. I have an issue with the cylinder holding shards of lead. It seems to be at the forcing cone end of the cylinder. I have tried many different brands of ammo, and it does it with all. The gun is accurate, but starts keyholing when the lead gets heavy. I dont see any burrs. I dont have any hones. Is there a kitchen table fix for this?
Old October 22, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Obambulate

The standard fix is to bury the Model 94 in a deep hole and forget you ever owned it.

Those with high thresholds of pain may wish to send it back to Taurus for repair.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

There could be several causes, none (IMHO) a DIY fix unless you are willing to invest in some fairly expensive equipment.

If you bought it at a local store, I suggest you return it to them and have them send it back to Taurus. If you bought it used, call Taurus and explain the problem.

There are reports that their CS has improved. If you don't mind, let us know the result.

Jim
Old October 22, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4
spanishjames

Sounds like a timing issue. Did you buy it used? I'd call Taurus as well.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:59 PM   #5
weblance

Its brand new. The shop I bought it from, ordered it for me. When I talked to them about it, they said I should send it to Taurus. I wasnt real happy about them just dropping the ball in my lap. I had it all apart today. I dont understand what is happening. If you cock the hammer in SA mode, the lockup is nice and tight on all 9 chambers. When you drop the hammer, the cylinder gets sloppy on 6 chambers, I mean, the lockup is now looser. If you pull and hold the trigger back, letting the hammer fall, and check each chamber, the cylinder is sloppy on 6 chambers, but tight on the other 3. I checked the width of the cylinder stop cutouts, and they are all within a thousandth of each other. I have other 22 revolvers and none of them are rock solid on lockup, but none of them lead the cylinders. My new Ruger SP101-22 is probably the sloppiest, before the Taurus 94, but it shoots like a laser. On the 94, I dont see any lead in the forcing cone, only inside the chambers, and outside of the gun, coming from the cylinder gap. Im going to shoot it some more tomorrow and see what happens. It is accurate, and I guess it really only keyholed about 5 rounds in maybe 250. It will put every shot on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards, and I was surprised at that, but the leading has me concerned.

Last edited by weblance; October 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Budda

Taurus makes a fine revolver. I would just try to change ammo. It might need to be sent in but it is free and they will fix it. I doubt it is a timing issue, if it was it would not hit a broad side of a barn. I have a Taurus snubbie that out shoots my S&W snubbie. I love them both.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
DFrame

You might try a wooden dowel rod with a layer of soft cloth and very mild abrasive like flitz spun in a drill to lightly polish the foreward end of the chambers. Go SLOW and check your work often. If the chambers were poorly polished at the factory and have roughness in that area it could be contributing to your leading problem. Don't know enough about tauri to hazzard any other guesses about timeing.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8
pete2

Since it's new I'd send it back to Taurus for warranty repair. They may be able to repair it.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:28 PM   #9
ljnowell

Quote:
Its brand new. The shop I bought it from, ordered it for me. When I talked to them about it, they said I should send it to Taurus. I wasnt real happy about them just dropping the ball in my lap. I had it all apart today. I dont understand what is happening. If you cock the hammer in SA mode, the lockup is nice and tight on all 9 chambers. When you drop the hammer, the cylinder gets sloppy on 6 chambers, I mean, the lockup is now looser. If you pull and hold the trigger back, letting the hammer fall, and check each chamber, the cylinder is sloppy on 6 chambers, but tight on the other 3. I checked the width of the cylinder stop cutouts, and they are all within a thousandth of each other. I have other 22 revolvers and none of them are rock solid on lockup, but none of them lead the cylinders. My new Ruger SP101-22 is probably the sloppiest, before the Taurus 94, but it shoots like a laser. On the 94, I dont see any lead in the forcing cone, only inside the chambers, and outside of the gun, coming from the cylinder gap. Im going to shoot it some more tomorrow and see what happens. It is accurate, and I guess it really only keyholed about 5 rounds in maybe 250. It will put every shot on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards, and I was surprised at that, but the leading has me concerned.
I dont see how the shop dropped it on you at all. Its not like it was sitting in their case and they spent an hour selling it to you. You ordered it. Lets be honest, everyone knows of the issues taurus has. Why should the gun shop be on the hook for setting it up with taurus and taking care of it?
Old October 23, 2012, 04:39 PM   #10
weblance

I shot it again today, and its better. It didnt lead near as bad as in the beginning. I worked with it last night , trying to smooth the chambers with a tornado brush. The brush fits loosly and I didnt stroke the life out of it. The chambers appear really rough, lots of circular cut marks. I know they dont have to be perfectly smooth, and they certainly are not. I think this is where the problem is. I also shot a copper washed ammo today. I dont know if that really helps, but it is the most accurate with it. Its certainly not a refined revolver, but is quality, and solid. I guess I just need to fine tune it a bit. I have never had a gun like this before, that is, one that needs some buffing and smoothing to operate the way I expect it to... as I own Smiths and Rugers. I will say one thing for the Taurus. It goes bang every time and puts the bullets where the sights are. I think with a little more effort on my part, It will be a fine little gun. I do like it, and hate to send it away, so Im gonna keep at it. I also put in a centerfire mainspring and trigger spring and that really helped the trigger pull. Still pretty hard in DA but not near as bad as it was. Reliability was perfect thru 300 rounds.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
weblance

Quote:
I dont see how the shop dropped it on you at all. Its not like it was sitting in their case and they spent an hour selling it to you. You ordered it. Lets be honest, everyone knows of the issues taurus has. Why should the gun shop be on the hook for setting it up with taurus and taking care of it?
I went to the shop I bought this from because I wanted to give them the business, because I felt sorry for them, because they are struggling. I paid $60 more than the large shop I usually deal with. If I had bought it at the large shop, they would have sent it in for me, and handled all the paperwork for its return. Maybe Im wrong in feeling a little like they didnt care about my problems, but I now understand part of why they are having difficulties.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:20 PM   #12
old bear

Quote:
I went to the shop I bought this from because I wanted to give them the business, because I felt sorry for them, because they are struggling. I paid $60 more than the large shop I usually deal with. If I had bought it at the large shop, they would have sent it in for me, and handled all the paperwork for its return. Maybe Im wrong in feeling a little like they didnt care about my problems, but I now understand part of why they are having difficulties.
Well you leaned two good lessons In that deal, 1- "No good dead goes unpunished." 2- stay away from Taurus products.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:50 PM   #13
Budda

@ Old bear: Give me a break. Can you make a better handgun? Did he ask for an opinion on the manufacturer? Go bash somewhere else, we are full up here. I own Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson, Taurus. My two favorite to shoot are my two Tauri. Did you know that some of the S&W's have been made in Brazil? Berretta too? Give it a rest.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:20 PM   #14
weblance

Ok... heres the deal. I wanted a new, all steel, snubnosed .22 DA revolver. Since none of the companies I trust build a revolver in this configuration, My only choice was to buy something that had the best chance of being serviceable. I have a Ruger LCR-22 and a S&W 317, but the LCR is DAO, and the Smith is aluminum, and I dont want to beat it up shooting thousands of rounds thru it. I decided to try a Taurus, because I have a Taurus 905, and it has been giving excellent service. The 94 is actually a nice revolver, but IMO needs a little more finishing from the factory. Since I dont want to send it back to Taurus, I will do what needs done to bring it to the level I feel it needs to be at. The chambers are very rough, and have more machine marks than I have ever seen in a revolver. Thinking about it, its almost like they were never polished. All my other 22 revolvers have nicely polished cylinders with only a few, or no marks. This is a learning experience, and in this case, I guess I got what I paid for. I am capable of doing the work on this revolver myself, and I dont feel this revolver should be buried in a deep hole and forgotten about. I guess I should have started this thread with pictures, but here are 2. What do you guys thing about the cylinder machining, and does it look like ANY polishing was done, and if this revolver was yours, would you send it back to Taurus, or polish it yourself. Remember, its brand new, with maybe 500 rounds thru it. Keep the bashing to a minimum... it helps nothing.

Old October 24, 2012, 04:54 PM   #15
DFrame

I know little of Tauri customer service (I've never owned one) but those chambers look to me as though they were not properly finished. I would send the gun back to Taurus, and let them know in detail what problems I was having with the revolver.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Obambulate

That's the worst I've ever seen. It looks like screw threads. That needs to go back to Taurus.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
shortwave

I'd have to agree that the cyls. on your pistol are as about as bad as I've ever seen. And looks as though it would require a lot of honing and material to be removed to get smooth surface's.

I know you don't want to send the pistol back to Taurus but if you did the honing yourself, what will you do if there's just to much slop in the cyl's when you're done?