The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 20, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
arizona98tj

SD shotgun and handheld light

Before the days of rail mounted light systems, I've no doubt a hand held flashlight and a shotgun were used together.

I've trained with a hand held light and my handgun but was wondering what is the proper technique for doing the same with a shotgun?

Did a shearch but didn't find what I was looking for.

TIA for any help.
Old July 21, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
David Armstrong

Depends on the shotgun and the light. Some used to secure a light to the gun with tape or rubber bands. I liked using a Scorpion held in the forend groove of an 870. Some shotguns lend themselves to a hold that allows an end-cap to be pushed against some part of the gun.
Old July 21, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
arizona98tj

Thanks David for the response.

Do you know if any techniques used did not have the flashlight taped or rubberbanded to the forend?
Old July 22, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4
grumpycoconut

If you use the plastic version of a surefire 6P and screw the cap down to where it almost/just about/nearly turns on and lay it in the fore end grove you can press on the side of the flashlight's endcap to turn it on. The pressure on the side of the flashlight bends the cap just enough to complete the circuit. Got that bit from a Surefire low light class. Takes a bit of practice to get the hang of but it works. Its also a whole lot cheaper than a dedicated fore end.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old July 22, 2008, 02:11 PM   #5
David Armstrong

Quote:
Do you know if any techniques used did not have the flashlight taped or rubberbanded to the forend?
Yes, apparently I wasn't clear. "I liked using a Scorpion held in the forend groove of an 870. Some shotguns lend themselves to a hold that allows an end-cap to be pushed against some part of the gun." Those are both techniques that allow you to hold the light and not have it taped or otherwise attached to the gun.