The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
kiov

FN Police Shotgun get F in Guntests

Hi,
I got one of the FN semi auto shotguns last year. I havent got much time to shoot it. In the little testing I did, it cycled heavy loads fine. That was my main concern as i load it with 00 buck for home defense. Still, I'm concerned.

In Guntests this month they say the gun jammed on them with several different types of ammo, and they gave it an F for that reason.

My question is, Did they just get a bad gun, or are others having cycling problems with this SLP model?

kiov
NRA member
Old January 31, 2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

"Gun Tests" is a joke, and the paper is too rough to wipe with.
Old January 31, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Piece I read on it said it was a magnum gun; heavy standard loads at least. I think this a mistake, but that is what they set the gun up for and it should not be critizied if it won't run on light loads. (I no longer get Gun Tests. Pretty rough but how could it be worse than the advertising driven slicks?)
Old February 1, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Mannlicher

BillD [quote"]Gun Tests" is a joke, and the paper is too rough to wipe with[/quote]

So true. Gun Tests is written by no gunners, for non gunners.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 1, 2008, 03:38 PM   #5
BoltWorks

My FN SLP runs perfect with heavy loads. Never one failure. Light loads can be a problem, but the shotgun is for self-defense - heavy loads. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old February 1, 2008, 04:45 PM   #6
kiov

ok guys thanks. I didn't buy it for light loads, so I think I'll just aviod them. As to the mag, its not perfect, but sometimes has some good stuff, IMO.
kiov
Old February 1, 2008, 06:45 PM   #7
drcgi

I heard that SLPs had that problem and was apprehensive about that when I bought one.

So naturally, I tested it myself. I ran two or three different brands of ammo, 3" / 2 3/4", magnum/standard, 00 buck/4 buck (I think). Not a single malfunction in all the 80 rounds I fired through it---quickly.
Old February 2, 2008, 01:16 AM   #8
crucible

Hello, my FN SLP has been flawless with all loads, and its not been babied by any means.

That said, mine came with the heavy load gas cylinder installed by default, and after reading the manual, I failed to see why: FN states the heavy cylinder is for loads more than 1.5 ounces. Most 2.75" slugs are only one oz., and most 2.75" 00 buckshot loads are something along lines of 1.3 oz in total shot weight.

I swapped it out before my last shotgun class for the light cylinder, and it was flawless then and has remained so since cycling everything from target birdshot to 1 oz slugs to hot 2.75" 00 buckshot (I don't use 3" for....anything so no testing there, but it's certainly capable of firing them if one is crazy enough to want to in such a firearm).

I can't help but wonder how many folks have the heavy cylinder in theirs.

C-
Old February 2, 2008, 11:26 AM   #9
hksigwalther

I had a subscription to Gun Tests a long time ago and didn't find anything bad about their reviews (not to be confused with Gun Test magazine, the one with advertisement - that mag truly sucked, IMO). They were at times too detailed and many folks thought those minute details were idiotic. IMO, those details could very well be important to some folks so why not include then as GT did. Let my subscription lapse as I could get more information from a larger statistical population on internet gun boards.

I have not read their latest review on the SLP so do not know of the details and issues. Could it be, as crucible alludes to, that they had the wrong gas cylinder in place during the test for some loads? Both my SLP and Win SX2 Practical came each with two cylinders, one for light, one for heavy loads.

Welcome aboard crucible.
Old February 2, 2008, 11:37 AM   #10
copenhagen

My little brother has one of said shotguns and loves it. It runs like a charm, and I have personally put 200 rounds of 000 buck through it in 5 minutes with no malfunction whatsover. It doesn't even kick that bad because of FN's glorious gas system. Whoever wrote that review either had a bad gun, or they are just a p*nis wrinkle and a half...