The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 18, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Nikon Prostaff vs. Nikon Buckmaster

Can anyone verify or deny, for positive, for certain, that the Prostaff is or isn't the exact same thing as the Buckmaster (in the 3-9x40 version), without the premium to give the Buckmaster people their cut, as has been alleged on the intarweb? The Buckmaster advertises that is has 92% light transmission, but the Prostaff does not make that claim. I know that this is not conclusory, but I'll throw it out there.

I grabbed a Prostaff 3-9x40mm with BDC reticle today for my backup hunter, since my Tasco World Class crapped out, so I'm curious now.
Old November 19, 2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I just bought a Nikon Team Primos (which is a Monarch with more light transmission) and spent a lot of time looking through various scopes. As far as the Buckmaster, it transmits 92% of light and the Prostaff transmits 90%. While the scopes might be related I would guess that the lens are the real difference between the two making them closely related but overall different scopes.
Old November 19, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
wolverine350

I picked the 3x9x40 buckmaster and i love it is very clear and works good on my 270 win
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old November 19, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

When I bought my ProStaff a couple of years ago, I fussed & fretted in the store, looking through the ProStaff, then the Buckmaster, then the Monarch, then back through 'em again. I also compared 'em with a Leupold (can't remember which model), and folks, I gotta tell ya; I couldn't detect a darned bit of difference with the naked eye, either with light transmission, clarity, or vignetting (sp?)

I'm sure there are differences detectable with sophisticated instruments, but I won't be using those instruments in the field, or on the range.

I kinda think it's similar to the Great Megapixel Wars in today's digital cameras. 10 or 12 meg, it's all overkill detectable only to the most exacting, demanding professionals.

The main thing is I can see clearly through it, and the little holes always appear exactly where the lines cross .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 23, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
shooter_john

I have a 3-9x40 BDC Prostaff as well as a 4.5-14x40SFMD Buckmaster (that I got through a buddy @ Academy for $180). Both are just as good for my uses as my VXIII Leupold. I don't really see any differences in the PS and BM.
Old November 25, 2007, 09:50 PM   #6
SeanShot

The Buckmaster I saw was a hand-turn. Maybe it was just that model, but I didn't want to pay an extra $200 just so I could leave a penny behind.