The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
sltm1

Urgent please read !!

I'm watching this travesty unfold in New Town CT and obsessing about how this can be prevented in the future. My solution is this and I have already offered my services to the local police department. I suggest a volunteer corp made up of veterans, combat preferrably, to volunteer one day a week each, without pay, to guard our schools either with lethal or non-lethal weapons, in daily groups of 2 or more and to likewise cover all afterhours functions at these locations. They are to be given communication devices to directly contact the local police and cartblanche for their actions upto but not including lethal means. Lethal means only to be used against a 100% known lethal threat. If you like the idea, then make the call to your local law enforcement agency now!
Old December 14, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
leadcounsel

Not a chance I'm going to attempt to "guard" a school. That's why I pay police and companies pay private security.

1. Illegal to take your guns on school property.
2. Schools liability insurance would never allow it.
3. Imagine guarding the school without a gun; now you're just a victim waiting there.

The best solution is for schools to hire a private security armed guard or have a police officer there or, just enable teachers to conceal carry and give them basic training. The deterrent effect would be enough to stop these shootings.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
BlueTrain

Some police departments already have a police reserve. Ours does. Likewise, some school systems have assigned regular police officers as well. However, in the case of the school shooting at a school on an Indian reservation a few years ago, in which the school had a guard, he was the first one shot.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
chrisp51

In NC each school has a school resource officer who is an active duty policeman. They have prevented a lot problems and are also a deterrent.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
XtremeRevolution

The first thing I thought of when I heard the news was "so many deaths could have been prevented if teachers were allowed to conceal carry and defend their students."

We live in a day and age where gun control does nothing but promote crime and make it easier for things like this to happen.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Coltman 77

If public money is needed for hardening schools and hiring armed LEO/armed private security teams, then so be it. Raise taxes if needed.

Flame suit on.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 14, 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
pax

Please note that we are holding off discussion of the CT school shooting, please see:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508968

We need more info.

pax
Closed Thread