The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Namerifrats

Newbie, few questions

I'm new to the forums and to reloading. Just fixing to buy my first equipment. I'm looking at loading for pistol and rifle. Been reading several books and alot online on handloading. Anyway, the calibers I will be starting out with are 500 S&W and 7.62x25 Tokarev. Once I get used to it I plan to branch out into 7.5mm Swiss and maybe 7.62x54R. The equipment I'm looking at currently is the Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Reloading Kit on Midway USA. A main question is this. I know that all of those caliber dies are made by Lee. I'm just wanting to make sure that the dies for the calibers mentioned will fit in the turret on that press. Will I need a turret with bigger holes for the 500 S&W because it's a fatter cartidge or are all the dies usually the same size regardless of caliber? I plan to get some additional turrets as well so I can set up my dies in each for ease of use. Just wanting to make sure that with the press I mentioned I can reload for all cartidges listed. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
rwilson452

Yes, the only cartridge I know of off hand that will not fit is the 50BMG. In the end I suspect you will get a powder measure for each also.
Old May 6, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
snuffy

Well, first, welcome to the forum!

Second the press you're talking about is the OLD lee turret. Look around a little further on the midway site, you'll see the new lee clasic 4 hole turret press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=814175

This is an vastly superior, updated version, of the original turret press you mentioned. For some unknown reason, midway hasn't made up a "kit" for the new classic turret----YET. It's a major PITA to find the other parts you'd need to make up a "kit" for the classic turret. I had to look for 10 minutes to find the safety primer for the turret press, it was hidden in the press accesories category.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=154114
Kemps website has a classic turret press kit, I've heard the cabellas has also.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 6, 2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Namerifrats

So I'll need a priming accessory for it? I thought it done that on the up stroke of the resizing stage from the bottom. I must have misunderstood. I wonder how much more expensive it'll be to gather the other equipment and tools that come with a kit version seperatly. I was looking at a cheaper Lee single stage press, I think the anniversary kit. It wasn't too expensive, maybe I could buy that kit, then buy the press you mentioned. Wonder if that would be much cheaper. I'd have 2 presses then
Old May 6, 2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Gbro

Most presses do come with a built in primming system, however most prefer to use a hand priming tool as you will have a much better feel seating the primer. Lee makes a fantastic hand primer and it cheap (price).
The press is a very powerful mechanical advantage (toggle) system. seating primers is a much more delicate operation than what a press is dose. I have popped primers with the press primming arm.
many times the primmer isn't fully seated and results in feeding problems and miss-fires.

Welcome and good luck in your reloading. Its a very rewarding hobbie if its done properly.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Number 6

The whole purpose of a progressive press is to incorporate the entire loading sequence into an ongoing process. Hand priming is not merely tedious; it is counter-productive.

I used to use a Lee hand priming tool. If all you're loading is a box or two, it suffices.

It is also a marvelous way to get carpal tunnel syndrome and put a bottleneck in the reloading process you bought a multi-station press to eliminate.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7
PeteQuad

Here is a link to the Kempf kit mentioned earlier:
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

It includes the Lee Safety Prime System along with the Classic Turret, which eliminates the need to use a hand priming tool.

I called them when I ordered it and they are very nice and responsive people. You can get the Lever Prime stuff seperate if you don't want the kit.
Old May 7, 2007, 07:18 AM   #8
nass

+++ on the Classic Turret kit from Lee. It is a great piece of equipment that will serve you well. Setting up multiple turrets is the way to go.

The safety prime system that they have for the Classic Turret allows you to feed the primer by pushing a button (never touching the primer) into a cup that swings into position and seats the primer during the first down stroke. Check for a video in some of the other Lee threads here.
Old May 7, 2007, 11:42 AM   #9
snuffy

video link

Here's the link to the lee site to see the classic turret in operation. The safety primer feeder eliminates the need to pick up each primer and place it on the priming arm.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/cat...eos/video.html

Click on the "turret press in operation" to see the video.

Definetly go with the kit from kempf's. It has everything you need to get started for one caliber. Like I said, midway is slow to get a kit put together for the new classic turret.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 7, 2007, 12:09 PM   #10
HJ857

Another Classic Turret option.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...847&hasJS=true
Old May 7, 2007, 12:15 PM   #11
benedict1

I don't believe the Cabela's kit includes the dies--the Kempf kit includes the 4 die Deluxe Carbide dies. It is a better value than Cabela's. Plus, their S & H is usually a few bucks better.

Edit: I just checked--Cabela's does NOT include dies. Only the Kempf kit does.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:17 PM   #12
PeteQuad

Actually, I'm not sure if the kempf kit has more options than are on the main page, but it seems like the dies it comes with do not include the calibers Namerifrats is planning on loading. So the cabelas kit might be better in that case.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:17 PM   #13
snuffy

Not only does the cabellas kit NOT include dies, it does NOT include the hammer type bullet puller, or the 6 MTM ammo boxes. AND it costs 5 bucks MORE! Cabellas is seldom the better deal.

Old May 7, 2007, 01:25 PM   #14
benedict1

Just call Kempf

Quote:
Actually, I'm not sure if the kempf kit has more options than are on the main page, but it seems like the dies it comes with do not include the calibers Namerifrats is planning on loading. So the cabelas kit might be better in that case.
Just call them--Sue Kempf will make up a kit with dies he's interested in using. She has one for .223 and I believe, .308 already.

Edited: Sue Kempf says "I can make a kit for any caliber with the Classic Turret." Just got an email answer to my query.

Last edited by benedict1; May 7, 2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: New Data
Old May 7, 2007, 03:29 PM   #15
Namerifrats

Sounds good to me. I'll probably go that route then. I'll see if they can get me one of the calibers I'm after. I already have 25 peices of 500 S&W brass, all are once fired and I have 107 more rounds that haven't been fired yet that I'll have the brass for. Anybody know what type of powder and primers would be used in the 500 S&W? I guess that'll be my next task, finding load data for it as well as the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Anybody load for any of these?
Old May 7, 2007, 04:39 PM   #16
benedict1

I hate to sound like a 'broken record', but just call Sue Kempf. She will know about the 500 S&W from her customers and as to the Tokarev, she loads for that herself if I recall correctly.

Go for it! You won't be disappointed.
Old May 7, 2007, 08:03 PM   #17
CrustyFN

You can't go wrong with the Classic Turret. I load 9mm, 223 and 38 special very soon on mine. Make sure you upgrade to the large & small safety prime and the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. Those upgrades will cost under $20 but are well worth the money. Make sure you buy at least one good manual and you can add more later. Welcome and be safe.
Rusty