The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1
ddgarcia05

Pf-9 loose pin what to do?

I recently bought a new PF-9 and noticed that after shooting it a pin keeps coming partially out. The pin never completely comes off. It's very hard to push it back in and I have to bang the pin on my garnet counter top to get it in.

Should I send it in for repairs or apply some sort of super glue at the end and see if that keeps it in place?

Keltec customer service really disappointed me recently. They never seem to answer their technical support line but did reply via email. I really would have like to speak to an actual person and not just read an email.

Anyways here are pictures of the pin out after shooting.

After I push it in this is what the other side (non protruding side) looks like. Take note of the small space where the pin is not completely flush with the frame.

I just sent a taurus tcp back for repairs and starting to feel frustrated about having to send another new gun out for repairs. I'm worried the PF-9 will come back and jam although it never has.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

That looks to be a solid pin. Anyhow, if it is, you have two choices, but both require disassembly. After this, and you have the pin out, you can replace it with a roll pin the same size, or bump the head of that one. By bumping, you swell the pins head with a hammer, or use a small chisel, and make a small indent on the side at the big end. This swelled metal will hold the pin in after you drive it back in. Gunsmiths bump pins all the time, as some will not stay in if you don't.
Old February 13, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
virg

Pf-9 loose pin what to do?

There's another fix. One that I've used on several occasions with good success. With the head of the pin sticking out like in your pics, put a drop of the red colored Loctite on the end of the pin. Tap the pin back through until it's protruding out the other side a bit and put another drop on that end. Center the pin back in the frame and let the Loctite dry for about 24 hrs and it should stay put. The excess Loctite can be easily wiped off with a tissue. It can still be driven out with a hammer and punch should you ever need to.
Old February 14, 2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Roughedge

Does the pin have a detent groove in it?Try reversing it and see if that helps.