The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1
hal9000

Technique for removing pressed/interference fit barrel

Probably a simple sounding question, but it's always the simple ones that I overthink and miss something big.

This is for removing the one barrel from a break action rifle/shotgun combo (savage 24V) with a monolithic breech block so I can turn the shotgun barrel down for a threaded choke adapter in my lathe. My first thought is to just use a press and a soft drift to push the barrel out from the breech end. Is there any reason that I shouldn't do it that way or is there something easier that I'm not considering?

Thanks

Last edited by hal9000; February 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old February 12, 2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Roughedge

I done one similar to that and I wound up making a jig to hold it in the drill press and done it verticaly. The barrels on mine was souldered together.
Old February 13, 2014, 03:01 AM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I think doing it with the barrels together is about the only way, as if I remember, they are soldered together.

You may be better off to use the hand tooling for chokes, and use the reamer and tap this way, or as described above, instead of using a lathe, as this would be a big project otherwise.

If your lathe has a large thru-hole in the spindle, you might use a four jaw chuck to do it, but the whole barrel set will have to pass through the chuck and spindle. If it will fit, then indicate it in off the bore.