The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Texas Revrat

Sig 1911 22 with hammer follow

Hello,

I’m looking for help with a hammer follow problem I am having on my Sig 1911-22. I’ve run about 500 rounds through it with no problem. Then I decided to do a little customizing. I replaced the series 80 firing pin block actuating levers with a frame slot filler from Brownells.

Now the hammer follows the slide into battery. I removed the frame slot filler and replaced the actuating levers (essentially returning the pistol to stock) but am still having the problem. The weapon fires the first shot fine but then the hammer has to be cocked manually to fire a second shot.

I also noticed that with no ammunition or magazine in the gun... If I press and hold the trigger while racking the slide, the hammer follows the slide. Racking the slide without trigger engaged, hammer stays in the cocked position. I’m not sure if this indicates a problem with the sear and/or hammer, or possibly the disconnect itself.
Old February 11, 2014, 12:18 PM   #2
g.willikers

Hmm.
It's possible the shim could have put some friction on the sear to keep it from engaging the hammer as it should.
Especially since they are offered in various thicknesses.
But replacing the original parts correctly should have cured it.
(Hint, hint).
Old February 11, 2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Texas Revrat

I have the factory parts reinstalled correctly. I have tested and can see the actuator peek above the frame when I begin to depress the trigger.
I read somewhere else where a guy was having the exact same problem and the culprit was the trigger overtravel screw. It had backed out on him and he was able to re-adjust it and bring the pistol back into operating specs. Mine doesnt seem to have traveled, it looks to have been set with locktight at the factory.