The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 5, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
zincwarrior

Ruger SR9c for IDPA purposes?

Greetings,

As the Little Woman has pretty much confiscated my Beretta for her own, I am contemplating getting a new inexpensive 9MM. I am currently thinking about another Beretta 92, an XDM (likely a 3.5) or an SR9c. AS I have been thinking about starting IDPA competition (purely as a hack I am sure) later in the year or early next year, the purpose would be general pistol shooting for fun, potentially IDPA, and potentially concealed carry.

What are your thoughts on the SR9c for IDPA use?
Old July 5, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The main consideration is reliability. You can learn to shoot about anything. The compact will give up some grip length and sight radius for concealability, which is ok if you view IDPA as an opportunity to exercise your carry gun.
If you want to be competitive, the full size version will be a bit more shootable.
Old July 5, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
zincwarrior

Would you say it would be a significant disadvantage or slight?
Old July 5, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I find the shorter guns noticeably harder to shoot.
But I find the big guns much harder to carry.
A full size gun you are a crack shot with but don't want to lug around is not much help.
The real solution is multiple guns of the same action type in different sizes.
Old July 5, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
zincwarrior

Thanks. That is helpful.
Old July 7, 2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Two things:

1. I've seen folks shoot the full size Ruger version and do just fine.

2. Do you want to shoot a carry gun in IDPA? If so, I see folks and I've shot a Glock 26 and did respectably for me and got trigger time with it.

Jim has a good idea. I shoot a G19 lots of the time, carry the 26 and shoot it once in awhile. I also shoot a 1911 or even a revolver as I regard IDPA as practice trigger time with carry guns and/or guns I like.

Of course, I'm not going to win so it might be cognitive dissonance.

Have fun - where in TX, BTW?
Old July 8, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
KChen986

As an IDPA novice, I tend to shoot for familiarity with my equipment and the scenario. At my last shoot, a lot of shooters were using M&P9Ls and other competition style set-ups (OWB holsters, cover vests). On the other hand, I was slower (okay a lot slower), but used my everyday carry rig (IWB and a shirt).

I would not worry too much about purposing a gun for IDPA--unless you're really in to IDPA shooting, I'd worry about more primary considerations, like concealability, familiarity, and comfort.

IDPA is great for familiarizing yourself with shooting on the move, moving to cover, etc. While not true of all shooters, I've seen some people so pressed for speed that they'd draw and just rip off rounds, occasionally missing the target entirely, but making good time. As you've heard. Speed is fine, but Accuracy is final.

Just my two cents.
Old July 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #8
KChen986

Double Tap, sorry.
Old July 8, 2011, 02:41 PM   #9
rantingredneck

For what it's worth, I actually shoot my SR9c better than my full size SR9. Whether that's some quirk of my particular two examples (or me) I don't know......

I do not shoot IDPA, but have been shooting in PCCA which started here at a local range and took the SR9c for a spin at one match. Didn't do too bad with it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 11, 2011, 03:03 PM   #10
zincwarrior

Quote:
Two things:

1. I've seen folks shoot the full size Ruger version and do just fine.

2. Do you want to shoot a carry gun in IDPA? If so, I see folks and I've shot a Glock 26 and did respectably for me and got trigger time with it.

Jim has a good idea. I shoot a G19 lots of the time, carry the 26 and shoot it once in awhile. I also shoot a 1911 or even a revolver as I regard IDPA as practice trigger time with carry guns and/or guns I like.

Of course, I'm not going to win so it might be cognitive dissonance.

Have fun - where in TX, BTW?
Ideally I'd like to be able to compete with a carry gun but its not a super priority, more of a "neat if I could" situation. My current carry is a .45 Kimber ultracarry, but firing it more than about 15 times at once aggravates an old injury and my hand starts shaking. It gets better after about 35 rounds but is always slightly "twitchy" and I can't compete with that - plus it might get worse.

As noted another option is switching out the Kimber with a smaller CCL version of a larger competition piece if I can find two inexpensive ones. As you noted I doubt I'll be winning things so this is more of a fun thing to do and good practice for that really bad day scenario. Right now I have a Beretta 92 or an S&W 29 (specials only) that can fill the bill, but I am liking the 1911 SAO or near SAO style, and I head heard that the SR9c is tight to the extent of being effectively SAO.

Currently in Austin but work in Houston during the week. Likely mostly do shoots in Houston during the week. I think I've identified two places that have regular monthly events during the week. trying to lock this down and get up to speed with a view towards checking out some once the sheer horror of a Texas July/August summer gets in my rear view mirror.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:18 PM   #11
zincwarrior

Quote:
For what it's worth, I actually shoot my SR9c better than my full size SR9. Whether that's some quirk of my particular two examples (or me) I don't know......
How is the trigger on the two? I heard the original SR9 trigger was not hot, but have heard good things about the SR9c. In real shooting would you say the triggers on those acted like a DAO or more like a 1911?
Old July 11, 2011, 04:34 PM   #12
rantingredneck

I'd say my SR9c trigger is a bit better. They're pre-cocked striker fired so it's not exactly DAO, but it's not exactly 1911 like either. It is a short trigger stroke, shorter than a DA or DAO trigger.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 11, 2011, 04:56 PM   #13
RickB

I shot against a guy at two IDPA sanctioned matches, last year. In the match in which we both shot full-sized guns, he beat me by five seconds. In the match where I shot a compact version of the same gun, he beat me by almost a minute! I always shoot the compact two or three times a year as it's my carry gun, but it's not very competitive as a competition piece.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:08 AM   #14
zincwarrior

Good points there.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:59 PM   #15
RickE

Take it back and let her try the Ruger LC9. Sweet compact single stack, slim 9. About $399. Perfect for cc year round.