The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2000, 06:41 PM   #1
VaughnT

I don't know if it has anything to do with reading this board or a premonition, but I've decided to get a gun cabinet. I've looked around and simply cannot afford the real safes, but the Stack-0n models look serviceable. I wish I could get a real safe, but that's not possible considering where I live and how much I make. However, anything that offers even marginally better security would be good.

Is the Stack-On decent? Is it a heavy-guage metal or simple and cheap soda cans? I'm looking at picking up the two-door model next payday, if it looks good. Any information/experiences would be appreciated.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....
Old June 11, 2000, 07:21 PM   #2
sharpsrifle

VaughnT

Smart move.
No,they are no where near as good as a real safe.
They will not hold up to a determined assault. 15 minutes and a crow bar will pretty much do them in.
However, they are one hell of a lot better than a dresser drawer or closet door.
Homak makes similar products. They are worth checking out as well.

Couple of things you can do to enhance their effectiveness:
Use lag bolts to bolt them down to the wall studs and the floor. .
Put it in a closet or corner where you can't get a crowbar into the gap between the door and frame. This may mean putting it in a spot that is inconvienent for you.
If you have the means and the skills, you can even build it INTO a wall or floor and conceal it behind a movable panel.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.
Old June 11, 2000, 07:22 PM   #3
Joe Klug

VaughnT,

I agree that a real safe is better than a cabinet but anything steel that locks up is better than nothing.

I don't have one of these but I did look at a few because I was trying to make the same decision you are a month or so ago. The Stack On is not made of heavy gauge steel but it's not recycled beer cans either. If you bolt it to the floor and some studs in the walls you will have enough security to keep kids and thiefs (that are in a big hurry) out. No fire protection though and if the thief has 5 minutes and a pry bar you are in trouble.

Joe/Ga
Old June 11, 2000, 07:32 PM   #4
VaughnT

Thanks, Gentlemen, for the ideas. I'm going to contact the local locksmiths ASAP to see if they know of any safes in the area that might be for sale; doubt it'll pan out. Wish I could find a Stack-On in the area to look at, but I'll buy unseen just to get some security. It can always go into the garage when I can afford a better safe.

Where's this Homak? I did a search but nothing came of it. Are they better than SO?

------------------
When Reason Fails.....
Old June 11, 2000, 08:05 PM   #5
Joe Klug

VaughnT,

>I'm going to contact the local locksmiths ASAP to see if
>they know of any safes in the area that might be for
>sale; doubt it'll pan out.

Been down that road too. Usually, the used safes you will find available are burglary safes (very secure business safes) as opposed to residential fire safes and are very expensive for the size you get.

>Wish I could find a Stack-On in the area to look at, but
>I'll buy unseen just to get some security.

You can look at one on the net if you'll go to www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/stackon.htm

>Where's this Homak? I did a search but nothing came of
>it. Are they better than SO?

Sorry, I don't have any links for them. I've seen one or two and they are very similar to the Stack On brand.

Joe/Ga
Old June 11, 2000, 09:05 PM   #6
Jim V

I've seen both at some of the bigger sporting goods outlets. I also saw one or the other at my local Sam's Club. K-Mart (even though I hate 'em) has had them in the past.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old June 12, 2000, 01:01 PM   #7
KilgorII

I have the double doored Stack-On. I bought it from the previous link (Mid South Shooters Supply) for $276.68 delivered to my door. Since, I have bolted it to the studs in my apartment using lag bolts. It comes with lag bolts, but I spent 22 cents apiece and bought longer ones. I bought a 6 foot long clear rubber coated 3/8inch cable that was looped on each end for about 8 dollars at LOWES and a padlock. I am going to drill two holes in the center divider and run the cable through both sides, through the actions or trigger gaurds of my guns as a second security measure. Even if they pry open the cabinet, they will have to have a pair of bolt cutters to take the guns.

Old June 12, 2000, 01:39 PM   #8
JoeHatley

www.homakmfg.com

They have online sales, but you may be able to get your local K-Mart to order you one, and save on shipping charges.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old June 12, 2000, 10:32 PM   #9
Robert Foote

Funny--talked to a guy the other day who is on a very tight budget (family man, young kids) who had the little 8 gun unit. As pointed out elsewhere it's not super heavy duty, but definitely a step in the right direction. I will probably get one for the overflow from my big 'serious' safe, to put the less valuable pieces in. The color scheme even matches my big safe! They have a website for info and the prices apparently include shipping to your door. They seem like good value for the money.

------------------
Old June 12, 2000, 10:40 PM   #10
Jim V

The Sportsman Guide offers one of those companies units. However, "Jim of Many Links" strikes out with that company's www address.

Off the top of my head: http://www.sportsmansguide.com

Holy Good Guess there Jim. I did remember it. Wow.
------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 12:49 AM   #11
blades67

VaughnT,

Talk to a welder or steel supply shop. If you have 200$ to spend on a Stack-On unit, a good welder can make a steel security cabinet that would be more secure than a sheet steel cabinet and can be custom sized to your wants and needs for the same money.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

<A HREF="[Link to invalid post" TARGET=_blank>TFL End of
Summer Meet</A> August 12 & 13